Photo
- - - - -

All round eating and exercise program

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 barak

• 16 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:30 AM

What do you think would be the best "All round program". There are so many suggestions and plans and I don't have time or flexibility to try them all and I just want something simple yet good for health. Any ideas on daily intake of what and what type of exercise I should do? I'm a seventeen year old perfectly healthy male and in good shape as it is. So I'll take any suggestions and try to use the ones I think best. Thanks!

Barak

#2 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:00 AM

well Barak, If you want a quick workout that get's right to the point and is extremely good for both your aerobic and anaerobic systems, I'd say to go with Tabata protocols. [thumb]

http://www.ncbi.nlm....eField=MeshDate

if you were to include some weights in there, I'd go with olympic weightlifting, the power variations like the clean from the hang are beneficial without overstresing the connective tissues.

#3 baertacgraff

• 62 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:12 PM

Hi Barak,

Similarly, I continue to question what's essential to balance my body, to live healthfully? It can be as multi-plexed as one makes it, or just as simple. Ultimately, you're asking, "What's right for YOU at THIS time of life?"

Some things to think about: 1. Eat when you're hungry and drink water before you are thirsty. 2. No matter what a person's age, [organic] green-leafy veggies can supply just about every essential nutrient needed. 3. For essential fats, Omega 3's and Omega 6's, it's a 3:1 ratio, seems to work best. Omega 3 = salmon, green-leafy vegs, sardines, butter, macadamia nuts, hazel nuts, walnuts and pine nuts. Omega 6 = sesame, sunflower and safflower oils, other nuts and seeds. 4. With all things consumed, do so with moderation, stick to what is and feels essential. Speaking of essential, humans need nine essential amino acids in their diet, best found in foods. These are: Theonine, typtophan, methionine, lysine, phenylalanine, isoleucine, valine, histidine and leucine.

Two good sources for nutrition: "Staying Healthy with Nutrition, by Elson M. Hass, MD and "Nutrition Almanac", by John D. Kirschmann and Nutrition Search Inc.

For exercise, begin each morning by stretching in the bed. Stretch the body, lying down, standing and sitting whenever possible throughout the day--with slow, deep breathing to stay relaxed and bring in the oxygen.

Namaste', B

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:43 PM

No matter what a person's age, [organic] green-leafy veggies can supply just about every essential nutrient needed.

I think you must be mistaken as to what counts as a nutrient.

For essential fats, Omega 3's and Omega 6's, it's a 3:1 ratio, seems to work best. Omega 3 = salmon, green-leafy vegs, sardines, butter, macadamia nuts, hazel nuts, walnuts and pine nuts. Omega 6 = sesame, sunflower and safflower oils, other nuts and seeds.

Are you suggesting a 3:1 w-3:w-6 ratio? If so, there is no way that is going to be accomplished through diet. Again, I think you must be saying 3:1 w-6:w-3.

#5 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:10 PM

She stated essential nutrients. I don't know how that could be mistaken.

Are you suggesting a 3:1 w-3:w-6 ratio? If so, there is no way that is going to be accomplished through diet. Again, I think you must be saying 3:1 w-6:w-3.

No, I think she meant what she stated. It isn't hard to get oneself at 3:1--Omega 3's to Omega 6's through diet. One only needs to be creative with their dishes.

#6 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:36 PM

There is no way a person of any significant size is going to get sufficient amounts of essential nutrients purely from "green-leafy vegetables" and still ensure long-term optimal health and functioning. Vegetarian, fine. All you eat is spinach, not fine.

Can you please lay out a reasonable diet that will have a 3:1 ratio described above? Then, if so inclined, please, give reasoning why you would want that kind of ratio long-term.

#7 baertacgraff

• 62 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:01 AM

Nice pic, Navigator.

Depends on what one calls 'nutritious', or nutrients, or essential, eh? As I had stated above, it's what works for the individual at a particular time in their life. I was sharing info., that works for me. Thus, according to Prof. Eldon Enger, Delta College, Michigan, "...One key function of these essential fatty acids is the synthesis of the prostaglandin harmones that are necessary in controlling cell growth and specialization. ...Nutrients are molecules required by organisms for growth, reproduction, or repair--they are an energy source and molecular building blocks." Again, green-leafy veggies contain nutritrious, Omega -3, but certainly it's not the only thing I eat. I'm sure most would agree, variety and creative are the oil that makes immortality happen. B ...p.s., I am a primal, raw food eater. That works for me. Did you google.com Aajonus?

#8 barak

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:14 AM

Thanks guys, theres no need to argue over whats going to work and whats not, I'm just looking for suggestions and I'll take what I get and decide what I can do and what will be good for me and my lifestyle. Keep em coming ;)

#9 baertacgraff

• 62 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:43 AM

Barak,

Ultimately, glad for the friendship. Whether you glean anything from what I've shared or not, I'm happy for the opportunity to share with you and others. Immortally, B

#10 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:10 AM

Depends on what one calls 'nutritious', or nutrients, or essential, eh?

Essential nutrients are fairly set in stone based upon our current understanding. Green leafy vegetables would not be a significant source of some of them, hence my assumption that you mean something other than the standard definition.

Did you google.com Aajonus?

Basically just a raw diet 'guru' if I remember correctly. Right?

#11 baertacgraff

• 62 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:56 AM

Depends on what one calls 'nutritious', or nutrients, or essential, eh?

Essential nutrients are fairly set in stone based upon our current understanding. Green leafy vegetables would not be a significant source of some of them, hence my assumption that you mean something other than the standard definition.

Basically just a raw diet 'guru' if I remember correctly. Right?

Navigator person,

Not the Standard American Diet (SAD.) Aajonus's work is not typical either.

You've been so rude.

Please don't write back. I'm not feeding you any longer...

#12 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:42 PM

Right on.

#13 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:14 PM

=Green leafy vegetables would not be a significant source of some of them

Maybe she should have emphasized for the intellect impaired, 'dark green leafy vegetables'??? I hope you realize that what she had stated included these.

You are wrong shepard. Green leafy vegetables provide many nutrients. If you would pay close attention to what baertacgraff said, you notice

[organic] green-leafy veggies can supply just about every essential nutrient needed.

No where in there do I see an absolute statement regarding green leafy vegetables of being filled with absolutely all the essential nutrients. Concluding from this, your rampage against green leafy vegetables which obviously include dark green leafy vegetables, is wrong.

#14 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:34 PM

No where in there do I see an absolute statement regarding green leafy vegetables of being filled with absolutely all the essential nutrients.  Concluding from this, your rampage against green leafy vegetables which obviously include dark green leafy vegetables, is wrong.

I hardly call my responses a rampage. If anything, the tone baertacgraff has had toward me should make me more upset than providing information that isn't accurate. But, whatever.

Essential nutrients: Making a statement "XXX provides just about every essential nutrient needed." Well, I could swap the XXXs with many things if we want to really nit-pick over what "just about" means.

Like I said before, lay out a diet following this advice that met the above qualifications and I'll happily admit that I'm incorrect here.

#15 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:39 PM

I don't have to lay out anything for you. Go google 'dark green leafy vegetables' and see for yourself how nutrient dense they are. It isn't like we are saying that all one has to eat to be healthy and live long are green leafy vegetables.

#16 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:42 PM

Hey, they do have a lot. Except for, you know, that stuff that keeps us moving. What's it called? Yeah, energy. That one.

Edit: Now, if we're talking about purely a dietary add-on, I'm with you. If were talking about the majority of your diet (how I read it), I'm not.

#17 barak

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:31 PM

Um..This is dumb. Why do you feel compelled to keep arguing about HER opinions. You can be with it or not I don't care. I started this seeking advice...not for people to take sides and if you have no advice for ME then you shouldn't be posting on this. So advice I will gladly take but arguing and siding save it for immaturity where your at. Not where im at.

#18 baertacgraff

• 62 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:15 AM

Hi Barak [and all],

Happy Pre-4th! A dear friend, Dr. Samuel Mielcarski (Dr of phyical therapy) is a good source for exercise and simple stretch routines. His website and email are:

samuelmagnus@aol.com and

http://drsampt.com/s...id=13&Itemid=36

Immortally,

B

#19 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:31 AM

What do you think would be the best "All round program". There are so many suggestions and plans and I don't have time or flexibility to try them all and I just want something simple yet good for health. Any ideas on daily intake of what and what type of exercise I should do? I'm a seventeen year old perfectly healthy male and in good shape as it is. So I'll take any suggestions and try to use the ones I think best. Thanks!

Barak

Ok bro, to seriously answer your question, you must be ready for a ball breaker. No one know 'the best' all around program. This is a question which can't be given in a sure manner other than personal opinion.

If you want my opinion, it all depends on your goals. You say 'simple yet good for health' but that doesn't say anything in reality. Do you want to gain muscle mass, lose weight, or what? I am a certified ACE personal trainer, so I can answer your questions. Give me your goals, and I will give you your preferred, best answer.

#20 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:44 AM

not for people to take sides and if you have no advice for ME then you shouldn't be posting on this. So advice I will gladly take but arguing and siding save it for immaturity where your at. Not where im at.

easy there noob.

this forum isn't for YOU. it's for everyone here to share in information. like I usually say, UTFSE ;)

#21 barak

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:44 AM

My goals really are to eat healthier and to gain weight at the same time. I want to pretty much get into the best shape I can get in. I want to increase my endurance, and my strength. Bulk up a bit ya know. Become a faster runner as well. I ran cross country in 8th and freshman year but I tore my ACL and had to quit for a quite a while and I never got back into it. Recently I have been trying again but really to no avail. If you could tell me some things I need to be eating as well while doing all of this that would be a great help. Thats it for now if you need more info just ask.

Barak

#22 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:59 AM

A few more. What is your age and weight? If you know what type of body type you have, that would be helpful also. Ectomorph, endomorph, or mesomorph? Do you have a gym membership or not? If not, what type of equipment is accessible?

#23 barak

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:07 AM

I am seventeen and half years old, I weigh 148 pounds and im five foot nine inches tall. I never lose weight but its an uphill battle to gain it. Unlike some people that post on here I CAN gain the weight just difficult. I want to be built like a UFC lightweight fighter ;) lol. I don't have a gym membership I would rather work on my own. Without all those old guys looking at me..But my brother has his own gym in his basement kinda so I have access to everything.

#24 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:18 AM

I agree with Shep, It's hard to get enough calories, protein, and healthy fat from eating only leafy greens. Definitely good to *part* of a healthy diet.

#25 barak

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:56 AM

easy there noob.

this forum isn't for YOU. it's for everyone here to share in information. like I usually say,  UTFSE ;)

Sorry if I offended anyone, I just didn't expect all the criticism of each others ideas when all I wanted was other peoples individual ideas.

#26 baertacgraff

• 62 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:21 AM

Aaron, ACE man,

"Dancing is the best, most 'fun' way to strengthen your ankles, next to swimming." ~Me
It makes me laugh too, which strengthens the heart and and creates gorgeous abs.
Would that be your suggestions to Barak, to others? B [sfty]

#27 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:36 AM

I also agree with Shepard. The "you can get just about all you need from green vegies" is the typical hippie/kooky know it all non scientific dietary approach.

This is not a real world approach. I say this as a an individual who use to be a vegan who exercised as well as a biochemist/lecturer in nutrition. When I was younger I was a vegan and hence ate very clean food. I was a very responsible vegan as well that made sure that I had all bases covered. I was active also but after a while had to ultimately decide on either, stopping the exercise or include more calorie dense foods into my diet. Most of the calorie dense foods are fat based foods such as milk, cheese and so on.

As an educated person in the area I decide to modify my diet so that I could continue to exercise. I became a vegetarian and included a little cheese and whey protein into the diet. On occasions I ate eggs but rarely, if ever, drank milk. Unfortunately a vegetarian diet was still not suitable. My blood biocehmsitry came up weak in a few areas and perhaps explained how I felt physically. So I now eat fish. Maily deep sea fish such as Salmon and my blood biochemistry looks fine.

In summary, Shepards questioning style is valid and needed. There are too many people out there that act like authorities when they are not.

#28 baertacgraff

• 62 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:40 AM

Barak, all is coooooool guy. I'm learning things I didn't know about the thinking process; needs, wants, fears and love. How I choose to react in any situ determines the flow of my immortality. Ultimately, I choose love, and thrive.

I'll be doing my stretching and sit-ups at 6:30am, consuming H2O and probiotics at 7:00am.

You're terrific! B

#29 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:48 AM

Baertacgraff please consider that your life situations (Baraks and yours) may be polar opposites i.e your older and starting to wind down in life and barak might be a lot younger with a busy job, children and so on.

#30 baertacgraff

• 62 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:12 AM

I also agree with Shepard. The "you can get just about all you need from green vegies" is the typical hippie/kooky know it all non scientific dietary approach.

This is not a real world approach. I say this as a an individual who use to be a vegan who exercised as well as a biochemist/lecturer in nutrition. When I was younger I was a vegan and hence ate very clean food. I was a very responsible vegan as well that made sure that I had all bases covered. I was active also but after a while had to ultimately decide on either, stopping the exercise or include more calorie dense foods into my diet. Most of the calorie dense foods are fat based foods such as milk, cheese and so on.

As an educated person in the area I decide to modify my diet so that I could continue to exercise. I became a vegetarian and included a little cheese and whey protein into the diet. On occasions I ate eggs but rarely, if ever, drank milk. Unfortunately a vegetarian diet was still not suitable. My blood biocehmsitry came up weak in a few areas and perhaps explained how I felt physically. So I now eat fish. Maily deep sea fish such as Salmon and my blood biochemistry looks fine.

In summary, Shepards questioning style is valid and needed. There are too many people out there that act like authorities when they are not.

Zoo' and all,

What are we doing for this forum? Is the objective to continue to grind on greens, etc...? I also eat raw bison and fish to keep my blood up, but it may not be right for Barak, or anyone else who choses this forum. It's my understanding that the purpose of this forum is to offer 'suggestions' for a simple eating and exercise plan--maybe learn something and have some FUN getting to know one another. Immortal Urban Hippie Goddess, ;) B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users