Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

Maximizing Resveratrol Effectiveness

• Please log in to reply
1084 replies to this topic

#121 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 02:11 AM

In Sirtris' patent application, they described using a sonicator to help get resveratrol to go into cyclodextrin.

#122 sUper GeNius

• 1,501 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 03:27 AM

Actually, I think it IS boiling. Very small areas of the water are vaporizing. Just not enough heat going on on a macro scale to start the whole thing boiling.

That is cavitation caused by the pressure waves from the ultrasonic waves. This is not boiling.

I did not mean to imply that the bubbles are the water boiling. I am saying that very high temps are indeed created, albeit in a very small area, and that some of the water may in fact be vaporizing, hence, technically boiling.

It's clear that sonification can be used as a catalyst for chemical reactions. I am wondering whether any undesirable reaction involving the t-res could be facilitated.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#123 macanizer

• 53 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:00 AM

Any chance that you could post a video or some pics of the one you have? I found this one in youtube but I don't think you have that model :)

You put your lecithin/water/resveratrol in a glass or mug and then put the base of that in the water bath.  Then turn on the sonicator.
No worries.  [thumb] 

I tried it again today, definitely a better emulsification......

Are those food grade? I'd be a little worried.

I added a couple of tablespoons 40% alcohol vodka to my lecithin mix this morning. Hard to say if the resulting mixture was less clumpy.

Stephen

#124 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:21 PM

No, definitely not that one. That is a high powered sonicator probe. Does a great job, no?

The one I used is much more like this one, only smaller:

http://www.hitechtra...utonumber=65088

You fill the top with 2-3" of water and place the items you want sonicated (jewelry, dentures, resveratrol/lecithin in a mug, etc) in the water bath and turn it on. It makes a high pitched noise which can be irritating but you can cover it with a big box or somesuch and it only takes 1-2 minutes......

Any chance that you could post a video or some pics of the one you have?  I found this one in youtube but I don't think you have that model :)

You put your lecithin/water/resveratrol in a glass or mug and then put the base of that in the water bath.  Then turn on the sonicator.
No worries.  [thumb] 

I tried it again today, definitely a better emulsification......

Are those food grade? I'd be a little worried.

I added a couple of tablespoons 40% alcohol vodka to my lecithin mix this morning. Hard to say if the resulting mixture was less clumpy.

Stephen

#125 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:49 PM

No, definitely not that one.  That is a high powered sonicator probe.  Does a great job, no?

You fill the top with 2-3" of water and place the items you want sonicated (jewelry, dentures, resveratrol/lecithin in a mug, etc) in the water bath and turn it on.  It makes a high pitched noise which can be irritating but you can cover it with a big box or somesuch and it only takes 1-2 minutes......

This one might be a little cheaper: http://www.wholesale...products_id=101

#126 foodoo

• 5 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:13 AM

No, definitely not that one.  That is a high powered sonicator probe.  Does a great job, no?

You fill the top with 2-3" of water and place the items you want sonicated (jewelry, dentures, resveratrol/lecithin in a mug, etc) in the water bath and turn it on.  It makes a high pitched noise which can be irritating but you can cover it with a big box or somesuch and it only takes 1-2 minutes......

Does the tank height matter? e.g. The link maxwatt provided has tank dimensions: 6"width x 3.5"deep x 2" height

I currently consume 3 tsp (~ 4g) of 99% res mixed in lecithin water (0.5 tsp lecithin solubilzed in 12-16oz water). Although dependent on the glass diameter, the fluid column is usually at least 6" in height - 3x that of the sonicator listed. So (malbecman or others), does this matter? Is your res/lecithin fluid column fully covered by the sonicator fluid column? At 4g, I'm unsure if less water would be the answer.

Currently, I use a stick blender to mix the lecithin in water, and then add the res and blend for another few pulses. I end up with a milky liquid that seems to closely approximate what others have described. I had inconsistent results using the warm water and lecithin left to sit for a few hours method - solubility/time seemed to be granule size dependant, but I am impatient and didn't like to wait. I think the results are better with a stick blender - time, and quality of suspension. I tried the ethanol mod too, but am not enough man to make that a daily routine - although it did seem to produce a nice suspension.

#127 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:11 PM

uhmz....is it necessary to take reversatol when taking OPC ?

#128 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:08 PM

foodoo,

No, the liquid in the sonicator does not need to be as high as the liquid in your mug, just enough to transfer the energy to it. So ~1/3rd height would prolly work fine if you wanted to go that route....

-M

Does the tank height matter? e.g. The link maxwatt provided has tank dimensions: 6"width x 3.5"deep x 2" height

I currently consume 3 tsp (~ 4g) of 99% res mixed in lecithin water (0.5 tsp lecithin solubilzed in 12-16oz water). Although dependent on the glass diameter, the fluid column is usually at least 6" in height - 3x that of the sonicator listed. So (malbecman or others), does this matter? Is your res/lecithin fluid column fully covered by the sonicator fluid column? At 4g, I'm unsure if less water would be the answer.

Currently, I use a stick blender to mix the lecithin in water, and then add the res and blend for another few pulses. I end up with a milky liquid that seems to closely approximate what others have described. I had inconsistent results using the warm water and lecithin left to sit for a few hours method - solubility/time seemed to be granule size dependant, but I am impatient and didn't like to wait. I think the results are better with a stick blender - time, and quality of suspension. I tried the ethanol mod too, but am not enough man to make that a daily routine - although it did seem to produce a nice suspension.

#129 dannov

• 317 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:29 PM

uhmz....is it necessary to take reversatol when taking OPC ?

Res is not an OPC, it's entirely it's own antioxidant with its own unique effects.

#130 hormesis

• 38 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:07 PM

malbecman,

that sonicator is really a great idea. nice!

Are we so sure that some denigration might not occur to the t-res? From the Wiki article:

"The bubbles created can be as hot as 10,000 degrees and 50,000 lbs per square inch, but are so small that cleaning and removal of dirt is the main result."

http://en.wikipedia....rasonic_cleaner

I doubt that this particular wiki article is accurate. The temperatures and pressures they quote sound like they might be more in line with single bubble sonoluminescence which requires a specially designed focused shockwave pattern, but perhaps those pressures are possible in some small areas on the parts surface: http://en.wikipedia....onoluminescence

#131 bentl

• Life Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:20 PM

I am reconsidering dosage... more may not be better.

I started out at 500mg daily and then increased my dosage to 2gm. My most recent lab work showed unusual liver function numbers. ALT=86, AST=206. My norms for both were around 30 before this. I also read that Sinclair said, in the NY Times, that he takes 5mg/kg which works out to around 300mg for me. I just cut back to 500mg and will report next month on any changes in liver function.

(my liver and I are very close... I'd like to keep it that way :-)

#132 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:13 PM

Thanks for posting; it's nice to be able to compare numbers. I've been on 2g/day for a couple of months before getting my blood tested. My ALT was 17 IU/L and AST was 30 IU/L.

Stephen

#133 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:15 PM

Always good to keep an eye on your health. There could also be plenty of other reasons your ALT and AST are high (certain drugs, infection, etc). Keep in mind that in several of the on-going clinical trials the people in them are taking gram quantities per day if I recall correctly....

I am reconsidering dosage... more may not be better.

I started out at 500mg daily and then increased my dosage to 2gm.  My most recent lab work showed unusual liver function numbers.  ALT=86, AST=206.  My norms for both were around 30 before this.  I also read that Sinclair said, in the NY Times, that he takes 5mg/kg which works out to around 300mg for me.  I just cut back to 500mg and will report next month on any changes in liver function.

(my liver and I are very close... I'd like to keep it that way :-)

#134 sasha59

• 6 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:16 PM

Hey,

The side panel on Longivinex packages says that the stuff should not be taken at the same time as vitamin C.

I wrote the company to ask why and received a pair of answers that didn't help much.

I was told that the vitamin C would interfere with chelation of the resveratrol when taken with food but that it wouldn't if not taken with food, and that the recommended time spacing between takng vitamin C and resveratrol was 2 hours.

Frankly, I don't understand what I just wrote, but that is what I was told.

I can't find any reference to this on the web.

If I'm to follow these instructions I'll have to split my three times a day dosing into six which would be cumbersome (to put it mildly).

Does anyone have any insights here?

#135 goku

• 292 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:24 PM

my only worry with Longivenix is that it is perhaps too much Quercetin to be taking if I'm dosing high -- what are people's thoughts on this -- I can afford longevinix, but am worried about all that quercetin inhibiting sirtuin or other problems.

How much quercetin does it take to inhibit sirts? And is it worth it to help bioavailability of res? Tough question IMO.

#136 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:52 AM

The side panel on Longivinex packages says that the stuff should not be taken at the same time as vitamin C.

I wrote the company to ask why and received a pair of answers that didn't help much.

I was told that the vitamin C would interfere with chelation of the resveratrol when taken with food but that it wouldn't if not taken with food, and that the recommended time spacing between takng vitamin C and resveratrol was 2 hours.

Frankly, I don't understand what I just wrote, but that is what I was told.

I can't find any reference to this on the web.

If I'm to follow these instructions I'll have to split my three times a day dosing into six which would be cumbersome (to put it mildly).

Does anyone have any insights here?

I've never heard of this. Resveratrol is "chelated" by food? Hmm. Well, if Bill Sardi is on to something and you want to follow his advice, then I'd recommend taking your resveratrol all at once instead of three times a day. The reasoning behind this is that you will get a higher blood level, and stand a better chance of activating your sirtuins. This is what I do. I also take it on an empty stomach, because I want it to hit the intestines in a bolus rather than dribbling out slowly. Either of these moves would give you more flexibility with respect to when you take the C.

#137 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 02:17 AM

my only worry with Longivenix is that it is perhaps too much Quercetin to be taking if I'm dosing high -- what are people's thoughts on this -- I can afford longevinix, but am worried about all that quercetin inhibiting sirtuin or other problems.

How much quercetin does it take to inhibit sirts? And is it worth it to help bioavailability of res? Tough question IMO.

It is a tough question. What I'd like to see is a measurement of resveratrol blood levels when taken with quercetin in humans. So far, I've not found that. Quercetin is said to be an exceedingly potent inhibitor of the enzyme responsible for sulfation of resveratrol, so in theory, it should help resveratrol's bioavailability significantly, and given the alleged picomolar IC50, it should not take much quercetin. Of course, quercetin is itself conjugated pretty rapidly, and is also heavily protein bound, so you probably need more. How much more is of course a great question, which leads back to the need for a little bit of human testing.

With respect to quercetin's inhibitory effect on SirT1, this was posted here a while back:

SIRT1 stimulation by polyphenols is affected by their stability and metabolism. 

Vincent C J de Boer, Marcus C de Goffau, Ilja C W Arts, Peter C H Hollman, Jaap Keijer 
Silent information regulator two ortholog 1 (SIRT1) is the human ortholog of the yeast sir2 protein; one of the most important regulators of lifespan extension by caloric restriction in several organisms. Dietary polyphenols, abundant in vegetables, fruits, cereals, wine and tea, were reported to stimulate the deacetylase activity of recombinant SIRT1 protein and could therefore be potential regulators of aging associated processes. However, inconsistent data between effects of polyphenols on the recombinant SIRT1 and on in vivo SIRT1, led us to investigate the influence of (1) stability of polyphenols under experimental conditions and (2) metabolism of polyphenols in human HT29 cells, on stimulation of SIRT1. With an improved SIRT1 deacetylation assay we found three new polyphenolic stimulators. Epigallocatechin galate (EGCg, 1.76-fold), epicatechin galate (ECg, 1.85-fold) and myricetin (3.19-fold) stimulated SIRT1 under stabilizing conditions, whereas without stabilization, these polyphenols strongly inhibited SIRT1, probably due to H(2)O(2) formation. Using metabolically active HT29 cells we were able to show that quercetin (a stimulator of recombinant SIRT1) could not stimulate intracellular SIRT1. The major quercetin metabolite in humans, quercetin 3-O-glucuronide, slightly inhibited the recombinant SIRT1 activity which explains the lack of stimulatory action of quercetin in HT29 cells. This study shows that the stimulation of SIRT1 is strongly affected by polyphenol stability and metabolism, therefore extrapolation of in vitro SIRT1 stimulation results to physiological effects should be done with caution.

The key word here is slightly. My take is that the potential improvement in the level of free resveratrol in blood is worth more than the small hit you might take from the quercetin metabolite. I just wish that resveratrol marketers who hype the (theoretical) advantage of quercetin or other bioavailability improvements would spring for some testing.

#138 rabagley

• 215 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:44 AM

Longevinex has 30x 100mg (3g trans-resveratrol) per box. Six boxes, or 18g, costs $150+shipping. And since I think we're avoiding supplemental quercetin, any amount over normal dietary intake is too much IMHO.

If I had only had $150 to spend at Revgenetics, I could get 100x 500mg 99% capsules (50g trans-resveratrol) for $130+shipping. From Biotivia, I could get 120x 500mg 99% capsules (60g trans-resveratrol) for $136+shipping. Biotivia even throws in some 50% resveratrol that I'm sure I could give as a gift somewhere.

Maybe we don't need the big doses (2g or more), but for my money, it looks like longevinex charges boku for a lot of ill-conceived prep and packaging.

#139 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:11 PM

Hey rabagley,

I just checked the site and it appears Biotivia's checkout is screwed up, as of 11:02 this morning they show $145, not $136 when you are checking out... I am sure they are working on it.

[:o]

Posted Image

[thumb]
Also...

I agree with you, Longevinex is asking way too much for 50% powder while Biotivia is shipping 98% and we are shipping 99% powder to most people.

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 19 October 2007 - 03:30 PM.

#140 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:25 PM

I find this interesting from the Biotivia website:

What distinguishes Transmax from other suppliers?

Biotivia has made a breakthrough in overcoming the short half life of resveratrol in blood serum and tissues. This is another example of our committment to product improvement through science. Our exclusive processing system results in up to a two times increase in availability of the critical isomer compared to trans-resveratrol sold by other suppliers. This technology was developed over the past 18 months by our scientists working in close collaboration with researchers at a major university. Ths significance of this development is that a higher concentration of the critical trans-resveratrol isomer is achieved in the blood stream and cells.

What I take from this is the following:

Biotivia's old product Bioforte has 250mg Trans-Resveratrol
Biotivia's new product TransMax has 500mg Trans-Resveratrol
(By an exclusive processing system results in up to a two times increase in availability of the critical isomer compared to trans-resveratrol sold by other suppliers.)

I find Marketing interesting sometimes. The first sentence ("Biotivia has made a breakthrough in overcoming the short half life of resveratrol in blood serum and tissues") seems strange here in this paragraph, as it doesn't relate to the rest of the paragraph, and is incorrect in the context of the remaining sentences.

Do others find this a bit off?

#141 tom a

• 121 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:42 PM

Anthony,

The blurb you quote sounds more like Biotavia is claiming to have produced a version of resveratrol (micronized, perhaps?) that gets into the bloodstream in higher levels than the standard resveratrol product. Kind of a poor man's SRT501.

#142 rabagley

• 215 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:09 PM

Didn't mean to tweak you Anthony. Just throwing out posted prices as I found them to make the point that longevinex was 5-6x the cost from other sources.

Actually, I'm planning on making a powder purchase from you shortly. :) The only reason I didn't mention your powder prices is because there wasn't a quantity priced around $150.

And the whole biotivia website rubs me the wrong way. It's my understanding that they will ship you the amount of resveratrol you order, but all the short hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I read the marketing copy on their website. With the number of pro-resveratrol bullet points and the lack of precise, easy-to-find information about exactly what's in each bottle... I quickly get the feeling that I'm being hustled.

It's the same feeling I get from the longevinex website, actually. They've got the additional difficulty that they're trying to make a value-added product that I don't buy into. Not enough resveratrol, and they added other polyphenols to the mix before the in vivo tests were complete (quercetin).

If someone from either of those companies reads this post: I don't think you are scam artists. However. Your websites try so hard to sell me on the benefits of resveratrol that it's harder than it should be to figure out what I came to your website to learn. What I want to know is: how much high purity resveratrol (>98%) at what price. The internet and a bunch of science sold me on resveratrol, you don't have to. All you have to do is come across as a safe, reliable supplier and you'll have all of my business.

Regards,
Ross

#143 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:36 PM

Anthony,

The blurb you quote sounds more like Biotavia is claiming to have produced a version of resveratrol (micronized, perhaps?) that gets into the bloodstream in higher levels than the standard resveratrol product. Kind of a poor man's SRT501.

Hi tom...
I agree that on the surface it appears that way. But reading it again... it appears that the details of paragraph below is sandwiched between 2 sentences that that have not been proved by the details:

====================================================
Sentence 1: (Top bread layer of sandwich)
Biotivia has made a breakthrough in overcoming the short half life of resveratrol in blood serum and tissues.

Details: (The goods, meat, salami, tomato, lettuce...)
This is another example of our committment to product improvement through science. Our exclusive processing system results in up to a two times increase in availability of the critical isomer compared to trans-resveratrol sold by other suppliers. This technology was developed over the past 18 months by our scientists working in close collaboration with researchers at a major university.

Sentence 2: (Bottom bread layer of sandwich)
The significance of this development is that a higher concentration of the critical trans-resveratrol isomer is achieved in the blood stream and cells.
====================================================

The half life should reference the half life of the resveratrol in the blood, not the doubling of resveratrol in the product. One has nothing to do with the other. It states that the process increases 'availability' of trans-resveratrol, not the 'bio-availability' of it. If it took them 18 months to go from 50% production to 98% production of resveratrol from polygonum then they are behind the ball, have increased the availability... but still has nothing to do with half-life of resveratrol.

The last sentence, again states that there is a higher concentration in the blood stream. By doubling the resveratrol from 250 to 500, you would likely get that, but it is still not maximizing the effectiveness of resveratrol. They are simply doubling the amount.

I think the first sentence is simply a marketing mistake, and it will probably be corrected soon. On the other hand, it may have not been a mistake. In which case the burden is on the buyer to be knowledgeable enough about resveratrol to understand the nuances.

A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 19 October 2007 - 05:56 PM.

#144 shadowrun

• 327 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:42 PM

I've been using 2 oz of water with about 1 tablespoon of lecithin and 500 mg of RSV. I let it sit for 10 minutes before consumption.

Would I be better served using more water and letting it sit longer?
-Could I pre-make the mix and let it sit in the fride over night...or would the cold affect it?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#145 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:42 PM

The key word here is slightly.  My take is that the potential improvement in the level of free resveratrol in blood is worth more than the small hit you might take from the quercetin metabolite.  I just wish that resveratrol marketers who hype the (theoretical) advantage of quercetin or other bioavailability improvements would spring for some testing.

We do have the Maxwatt toe evidence.

Though resveratrol serum levels may be higher with quercetin in the mix, it ma no longer activate SIRT1 due to inhibitin by this metabolite. I believe this is the case, having tried adding quercetin to my regimen: the COX2 effects (reduction of inflamation) were greater, but the deep long term pain from arthritis becam worse within three days (SIRT1 mediates inhibition of NF Kappa, which improves arthritis symptoms.)

#146 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:01 AM

I've been using 2 oz of water with about 1 tablespoon of lecithin and 500 mg of RSV. I let it sit for 10 minutes before consumption.

Would I be better served using more water and letting it sit longer?
-Could I pre-make the mix and let it sit in the fride over night...or would the cold affect it?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I let the lecithin and water sit overnight. In the morning, I shake it, add the t-res and shake some more.

#147 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:33 AM

What distinguishes Transmax from other suppliers?

Biotivia has made a breakthrough in overcoming the short half life of resveratrol in blood serum and tissues. This is another example of our committment to product improvement through science. Our exclusive processing system results in up to a two times increase in availability of the critical isomer compared to trans-resveratrol sold by other suppliers. This technology was developed over the past 18 months by our scientists working in close collaboration with researchers at a major university. Ths significance of this development is that a higher concentration of the critical trans-resveratrol isomer is achieved in the blood stream and cells.

What I take from this is the following:

Biotivia's old product Bioforte has 250mg Trans-Resveratrol
Biotivia's new product TransMax has 500mg Trans-Resveratrol
(By an exclusive processing system results in up to a two times increase in availability of the critical isomer compared to trans-resveratrol sold by other suppliers.)

I find Marketing interesting sometimes. The first sentence ("Biotivia has made a breakthrough in overcoming the short half life of resveratrol in blood serum and tissues") seems strange here in this paragraph, as it doesn't relate to the rest of the paragraph, and is incorrect in the context of the remaining sentences.

Do others find this a bit off?

Anthony, maybe it's nothing more than upping the quantity of resveratrol as you suggest, or maybe it's an improved formulation, as was tom a's take on it. We really have no way of knowing from the blurb above, do we? If they actually have an improved formulation with better blood levels that have been run in a university lab, I would applaud that, providing they showed us the data, and named the lab. If they want to be cagey about the formulation so that their competitors don't run out and copy it, well, fine, I can understand that. But I don't like everything being shrouded in mystery.

#148 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:15 PM

I was browsing LEF and saw this about their CoQ10 product.

Life Extension's new Super Absorbable CoQ10â„¢ with d-Limonene is a super-emulsified formulation that significantly increases the amount of CoQ10 absorbed. d-Limonene is a natural compound in orange oil that disperses and breaks down the CoQ10 particles, which reduces their size and makes CoQ10 more absorbable by the body.

I'm wondering if the same component could micronize resveratrol. Any thoughts?

Stephen

#149 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:43 AM

I'm wondering if the same component could micronize resveratrol. Any thoughts?

It could probably be used in an emulsion system; the paper below talks about an emulsion system where resveratrol was used as the test drug. They could achieve micelles of less than 100 nm diameter. I don't know if these are delivered orally or injected, but the idea seems reasonable at any rate. I can't think of any reason why oral delivery of a micellar system would not work.

http://dx.doi.org/10...arm.2006.11.016
The effect of oil components on the physicochemical properties and drug delivery of emulsions: Tocol emulsion versus lipid emulsion

Chi-Feng Hung, Chia-Lang Fang, Mei-Hui Liao and Jia-You Fang, , 
aSchool of Medicine, Fu-Jen Catholic University, Taipei, Taiwan
bDepartment of Pathology, College of Medicine, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
cPharmaceutics Laboratory, Graduate Institute of Natural Products, Chang Gung University, 259 Wen-Hwa 1st Road, Kweishan, Taoyuan 333, Taiwan
Received 7 June 2006;  revised 2 October 2006;  accepted 6 November 2006.  Available online 11 November 2006.

Abstract
An emulsion system composed of vitamin E, coconut oil, soybean phosphatidylcholine, non-ionic surfactants, and polyethylene glycol (PEG) derivatives (referred to as the tocol emulsion) was characterized in terms of its physicochemical properties, drug release, in vivo efficacy, toxicity, and stability. Systems without vitamin E (referred to as the lipid emulsion) and without any oils (referred to as the aqueous micelle system) were prepared for comparison. A lipophilic antioxidant, resveratrol, was used as the model drug for emulsion loading. The incorporation of Brij 35 and PEG derivatives reduced the vesicle diameter to <100 nm. The inclusion of resveratrol into the emulsions and aqueous micelles retarded the drug release. The in vitro release rate showed a decrease in the order of aqueous micelle system > tocol emulsion > lipid emulsion. Treatment of resveratrol dramatically reduced the intimal hyperplasia of the injured vascular wall in rats. There was no significant difference in this reduction when resveratrol was delivered by either emulsion or the aqueous micelle system. The percentages of erythrocyte hemolysis by the emulsions and aqueous micelle system were 0 and 10%, respectively. Vitamin E prevented the aggregation of emulsion vesicles. The mean vesicle size of the tocol emulsion remained unchanged during 30 days at 37 °C. The lipid emulsion and aqueous micelle system, respectively, showed 11- and 16-fold increases in vesicle size after 30 days of storage.

Corresponding author. Tel.: +886 3 2118800x5521; fax: +886 3 2118236.

International Journal of Pharmaceutics
Volume 335, Issues 1-2, 20 April 2007, Pages 193-202 

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#150 bixbyte

• 559 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 October 2007 - 02:56 PM

I tried an expirement last night

This is the cleaner I own:

http://www.goodmans....lry-cleaner.htm

This ultrasonic cleaner is more $ but, you can purchase a 500 ML beaker attachment for extra $

But back to the expirement:

I added 4 oz of carbon filtered tap water (to remove chlorine)
Mixed in 1.1 grams of miralax (approx 1/4 teap)
Stirred with a plastic spoon until the round crystals appeared to be dissolved
Turn on the ultrasonic cleaner for about 30 seconds till the crystals are fully ultrasonicated into the H2O then,
Added 1.0 grams of 99% RSV (heaping teaspoon)
and stirred with the plastic spoon until the mix almost looks like milk,
Turned on the ultrasonic cleaner for about 2 minutes.
The RSV was completely mixxed into the solution.
Cheers!

Interesting expirement?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users