Photo
- - - - -

Indescribable feeling.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 thitzun2

• 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:15 AM

For about a year, I have suffered a decline in cognitive functioning. I have a persistent brain fog that is unrelenting and increasing in severity. I have consulted a doctor but to no avail. For about 11 yrs., I have suffered from chronic insomnia and have been unable to sleep without the assistance of something chemically derived. My memory is pathetic, anxiety is high, and I am trouble doing basic activities. I scared about the course that this "malaise" is going, and if someone is so kind to offer advice then I would be very grateful.

#2 shuffleup

• 160 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:16 AM

For about a year, I have suffered a decline in cognitive functioning. I have a persistent brain fog that is unrelenting and increasing in severity. I have consulted a doctor but to no avail. For about 11 yrs., I have suffered from chronic insomnia and have been unable to sleep without the assistance of something chemically derived. My memory is pathetic, anxiety is high, and I am trouble doing basic activities. I scared about the course that this "malaise" is going, and if someone is so kind to offer advice then I would be very grateful.

Have you had a sleep study? I have had panic/anxiety symptoms for years and was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea. I got my CPAP machine about 3 weeks ago and have had remarkably less brain fog, almost no anxiety, absolutely no panic attacks, and generally much higher motivation and energy (of the brain type energy, not really physical energy). Might be worth looking into.

Outside of that, theanine always worked to calm my panic down. A lot of people are using a couple hundred mg's but 100 for me kept it under wraps in times of chronic anxiety.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:36 AM

Some sleep aids can induce amnesia. If you had, for example, been megadosing on Ambien for the past decade, I wouldn't be surprised by some memory issues. I'm not saying that's it; could be depression, too. Have you had any diagnoses regarding this condition?

#4 suspire

• 583 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:32 AM

I'd strongly recommend consulting another doctor, especially a neurologist, even if you don't have health insurance. While I think this forum is great, I mostly look at it as a place to get tips for healthy living/improving on a solid base. You sound like you're in real trouble, man, and I would not hesitate to go to the professionals. If your current doctor hasn't been helpful, go to a new one. Definitely a neurologist, maybe a psychiatrist.

Beyond that, the sleep study idea was a good one. Sleep apnea can cause some of the problems you've listed.

#5 rebuild101

• 80 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:24 PM

Hey thitzun2, I am also seeking a remedy for brain fog as well -- though mine may be of a different nature than yours (loads of mental fatigue).

It was suggested to me that I look into DLPA and/or L-Tyrosine for improving energy and possibly metal toxicity. A THOROUGH thyroid exam may also be good for you to look into. The sleep study and seeking other professional help are good recommendations. By the way, you could mention your age, exercise routine, diet, lifestyle, and current supplements if you care to.

While I strongly encourage seeking professional assistance it can be discouraging for us brain foggers as there is no formal diagnosis for these problems (yet). Still, I do believe professionals can help if you are persistent with them.

#6 graatch

• 390 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:48 PM

Missing sleep all the time will obviously cause brain fog -- and recovery from the effects of chronically doing so takes some time.

#7 thitzun

• 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:17 AM

Thanks for the replies. BTW, I am 32 yrs old, 6'1 155 lbs, work in the construction industry, exercise once or twice per week, and I take a multi-vitamin, Omega-3 fatty acids, and L-Arginine on a regular basis. The vitamins contribute to my anxiety, in my opinion. I constantly feel dizzy, and my digestive system is a total wreck. Those are facts off the top of my head; I don't know if that's helpful. To combat the insomnia, I take Tylenol Pm at night. Thanks.

#8 suspire

• 583 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:35 AM

I am sure you know what you're doing and have tried various things, but have you done a total detox, cycling off of everything you're on? I used to be on a lot of things--like caffeine, nicotine(yeah, stupid, I know), etc and it started to take a real toll on my moods, energy levels, sleep, etc. Having stopped all that junk and gone "clean", I feel a lot better.

Of course, now I am about to embark on a course of nootropics, so we'll see how it goes, but if I don't like how I feel on them, I'll stop in a New York minute.

As an aside, it is really bad news that you are using Tylenol PM on a nightly basis. That is not, not, not good from everything I've read. Please do seek more(and more importantly, VARIED) professional opinions on your situation. Some good advice was listed on here.

Do try the total detox of everything you're on now, however--try it starting on a Friday or right before you've got a couple of days off from work. The first 48 hours on detox is a bitch, so you don't want to do it when you've got to work that day.

#9 graatch

• 390 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:45 AM

Yeah, Tylenol PM will give you the brain fog.

Not only that, but diph fucks up sleep architecture anyway, and is habit-forming, and someone alluded to some negative effects downstream with regular use.

Edited by graatch, 26 July 2007 - 07:01 AM.

#10 ksperfection

• 28 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:14 AM

Hydergine greatly reduced Brain Fog that I had. (which wasn't caused by extreme lack of sleep)

#11 poonja

• 111 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:25 PM

I too suffered from brain fog twice in my life. First time (at 50) I diagnosed myself as having metabolic syndrome (glucose intolerance). Changed my diet, exercised and began using metformin and found substantial relief. Several years later (about age 56) again suffered from symptoms and again diagnosed myself as suffereing from low testosterone. Received help and now feel much better. A good endo would be a good place to start. Testosterone may be low and/or estrodial (E2) may be high. Please have them checked as well as thyroid and adrenal function.

• Lurker

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for the replies. BTW, I am 32 yrs old, 6'1 155 lbs, work in the construction industry, exercise once or twice per week, and I take a multi-vitamin, Omega-3 fatty acids, and L-Arginine on a regular basis. The vitamins contribute to my anxiety, in my opinion. I constantly feel dizzy, and my digestive system is a total wreck. Those are facts off the top of my head; I don't know if that's helpful. To combat the insomnia, I take Tylenol Pm at night. Thanks.

If vitamins make you feel worse then I think you may have high histamine levels. Both niacin and folic acid increase histamine levels. High histamine types will have a problem with both of those nutrients, which can contribute to their anxiety or cause other mental problems.

I know what it is to have malaise. I also have trouble dealing with stress because of a condition I have (pyroluria). When I am stressed out from work I usually go home and don't want to have to use my brain at all. I can experience apathy and lethargy a lot from any kind of stress. But I know that stress seems to deplete me of important nutrients that play a role in brain function. I have vitamin b6 dependency that effects my serotonin and dopamine levels. One good sign of a b6 deficiency (or dependency) is little or no dream recall. Do you remember your dreams in the morning?

I know that my brain would shut down after work until I started taking deprenyl. Now I feel more alert and mentally engaged with the help of deprenyl.

I always had to take an over the counter sleeping pill plus melatonin to fall asleep; and that didn't always work for me. I was able to stop the OTC sleep aid when I started to correct my nutritional problems. I would also find it difficult to fall asleep if I worked out too late at night (after 9pm).

#13 brain

• 148 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:51 PM

the diphenhydramine in tylenol PM is a potent anticholinergic.

#14 thitzun2

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have stopped caffeine as well as the Tylenol PM. I use L-Tryptophan at night now. Also, I've noticed that if I have any sugar, my anxiety skyrockets, and my ability to interact with others becomes severely compromised. My brainpower goes kaput. A 9 yr. old beat me in three consecutive games. Also, I am losing my hearing. Any thoughts? Thanks.

#15 graatch

• 390 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:48 AM

An immune syndrome? Chronic fatigue?

#16 thitzun2

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:13 AM

I recently discovered a presence of lead and a high amount of aluminum. And, my adrenal glands are in terrible shape. My question is: Will my brainpower ever be the same. Right now, it's fairly sad

#17 theta

• 74 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:48 AM

I recently discovered a presence of lead and a high amount of aluminum. And, my adrenal glands are in terrible shape. My question is: Will my brainpower ever be the same. Right now, it's fairly sad

Lead induced cognitive problems in adults maybe reversible. DMSA and R-ALA can be used to lower brain levels of lead. I know nothing about aluminium other than I think IV EDTA might be the only highly
effective way to remove it.

I've had 6 hours of sleep in the last two days and wish I could sleep right now.

#18 graatch

• 390 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:22 PM

Will my brainpower ever be the same.

Yes. Chelate, then if you like I suggest looking into the therapies used for recovery/encouraging neurogenesis in brain injury patients. Psychostimulants, galantamine, hydergine are all interesting options.

#19 rebuild101

• 80 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:55 PM

thitzun2,

Don't let Zoolander's post scare you away from ever posting again. He is dead on that we really should be seeking professional medical assistance of doctors that are trained to diagnose and treat this stuff (and have all the facts). I know there are also imminst liability concerns with some people... However, with that being said, there are a ton of benefits to reap by posting and discussing this stuff that may not always be available with a doctor visit:

1. Learn of personal experiences from others. Either with drugs, noots, or conditions
2. Symptom or supplement dangers brought up that may not be otherwise discussed
3. Personal education from and referred and authoritative sources
4. Alternative medicine recommendations
5. Community support even if there isn't a solid diagnosis
6. Information raised for lurkers

I have been dealing with brain fog too, although I tend to think it's not coming from any metal toxicity. This forum helped me find alternative medicine to try first. That was a personal prereq before doc visits and I think others may feel the same. Anyway, keep us up to date on how it goes and what you find out. Many people don't post because they are afraid of being flamed. However, and again, don't take Zoolander's statements personally. He's just trying to suggest the best solution to the problem. And, yes, there is a very good chance you can restore your brain power, maybe even improve beyond where you were before.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#20 wiserd

• 108 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:20 PM

unable to sleep without the assistance of something chemically derived

You need to find a better way to get to sleep. GABAergic drugs like theanine, several grams of GABA or Kava Kava at night can be helpful in that they actually improve sleep structure. And they're among the more mild, safer GABAergic drugs.

Valerian and passion flower also work, though I hear you build tolerance and withdrawl is nasty. That seems to be common for a lot of GABA-related drugs.

If stress and argenine supplementation has triggered some kind of latent herpatic infection (which arginine has a way of doing) then several grams of lysine daily + pau d'arco (about a cup of alcohol tincture twice a day for two weeks) and no high-arginine foods like chocolate could help with that.

There are a number of different viruses in the herpes family which are common, and many don't cause skin lesions. But chronic viral infection in general can cause brain fog. And a stress-weakened immune system can open the door for them.

Edited by wiserd, 21 November 2007 - 07:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users