- - - - -

Risperdal destroyed my life

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 StrangeAeons

• Guest, F@H
  • 732 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:11 AM

I'm not sure that antipsychotics can permanently damage your D2 receptors or not, but I do often wonder about the lingering effects they have. Every time I've been treated with an antipsychotic things pretty much started going downhill. I seriously wonder if they aggravated my anhedonic states, which is considered a signature of schizotypy. The first psychotropic drug I was ever treated with was Zyprexa... at age 14... for depression. I don't think doctors take antipsychotics as seriously as they should, likely because the new atypicals are considered "safe" (definitely a relative term). I was on Invega a few months ago (which is risperdal, actually) and I felt imminent doom on it. At some point I progressed from eating compulsively to sleeping compulsively. Then I went off of it and felt terrible for a week; it was a new dimension of depression for me, I felt like a wreck. I don't think I've recovered to what I was before the Invega and told the psychiatrist that I felt there was some sort of permanent effect from it. He claimed there was no such thing. I call BS. We already know that these meds cause tardive dyskinesia by interfering with the dopamine/acetylcholine balance. That's permanent. I have a feeling studies done over large samples of populations are going to miss things that subtle. Besides, these drugs are first and foremost intended to target psychosis. That's what the studies support; but they're probably used more often than not off-label. This once again goes with my theory that we should take a better look at brain structure instead of oversimplifying somebody as having too much or not enough of something.

#32 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:18 AM

Bit of a bump but anyway...

I took risperdal for a misdiagnosed condition as well. Not having been explained the mechanism or the effects of the drug I took it without too many questions.

Basically it left me fat, sexless, apathetic, depressed and increased the glandular tissue underneath my nipples (bitch tits). This, although I've stopped taking it now for quite some time, stays with me.

Prescribing risperdal as an anti-psychotic to a male is in my mind malpractice and medically negligent. I wonder how the company sweetens the prescriptions.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 alpha2A

• 40 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:28 PM

Bit of a bump but anyway...

I took risperdal for a misdiagnosed condition as well. Not having been explained the mechanism or the effects of the drug I took it without too many questions.

Basically it left me fat, sexless, apathetic, depressed and increased the glandular tissue underneath my nipples (bitch tits). This, although I've stopped taking it now for quite some time, stays with me.

I took Risperdal too, for maybe a month. I quit it because it made me feel very weak and somewhat tired, in addition to increasing my tendency to gain weight. (It may have had some sexual effects too, but who cares about such nonsense? Sex is nothing but an annoying distraction, and I don't need that on top of my ADHD.)

Prescribing risperdal as an anti-psychotic to a male is in my mind malpractice and medically negligent. I wonder how the company sweetens the prescriptions.

In fact, it's standard practice. One might perhaps say, "No-one got fired for buying IBM, and no-one got fired for prescribing Risperdal." The same goes for SSRIs. (Side note: the combination of Risperdal and SSRIs is particularly bad as far as hyperprolactinaemia - and hence sexual dysfunction - is concerned as they have additive effects on prolactin production.)

I don't think it destroys dopamine receptors, since that would be illogical and contrary to the fact that dopamine antagonists tend to *upregulate* dopamine receptors. Rather, I suspect that risperidone may induce some kind of dysregulation of the serotonin-dopamine relationship. Some serotonin receptors are responsible for serious anti-dopaminergic effects. The serotonin 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C receptors are of particular interest. Anyone with a post-Risperdal syndrome may wish to experiment with cyproheptadine (Periactin) - a 5-HT2A antagonist, and sertindole (Serdolect) - a serotonin 5-HT2C inverse agonist. Agomelatine, SB-243213 or SB-206553 may be preferable to sertindole, but unfortunately, they are much harder to find, and the SB-compounds have not necessarily been adequately tested. Ritanserin may be an alternative which should be cheaper and more adequately tested - it covers both 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C. (Side note: On the other hand, blockade of 5-HT2A may not entirely beneficial with regard to cognitive function.)

By the way, anyone knows how to source the above compounds at reasonable prices? I've only seen ridiculous offers for about 10 mg at a few hundred dollars.

#34 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:02 PM

Nicotine will help. It regenerates dopaminic receptors. I take a patch, though not for this purpose.

#35 wiserd

• 108 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:22 PM

Ginko Biloba is good at counteracting high prolactin levels.

You can't just eat the leaves, though. You need a good extract.

#36 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:40 PM

When I was young (around 10) I was mis-diagnosed for "childhood schizophrenia" and was given Favoxil and Risperdal.
I wonder if this is why I am apathetic and been fat for all my youth also?

Anyone found more information on the subject?

After looking into old notes I found I was on favoxil 50mg and Risperdal 2.0 and later 2.5mg Risperdal.

Edited by Winterbreeze, 07 September 2008 - 07:11 PM.

#37 chelated

• Topic Starter
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:34 AM

I haven't posted an update on my conditions for the following reasons...For the past 2 years I got addicted to benzos...Basically it happened when my mother wanted me to go to the psychiatrist after complaining about my condition from risperdal and other drugs. I did not know that benzos could feed off of pre-existing injuries which was my jaw. I went to a maxiofaccial surgeon as I thought I had tmj from my injury in my first post. For 2 years I was in the worst agonizing pain and got addicted to benzos for pain control...I was also trying to get back my libido at the same time and taking tons of supplements. Later I came across information on benzowithdrawal.com that benzos can feed off of pre-existing injuries and render supplements less effective. After finding this out I tried to taper the drug and got off it in a matter of 2.5 months. THe first month was hellish with 10/10 pain and I did a super fast unorganized taper. After I got off I have no more pain anymore but here is the kicker....Since my last dose I have been losing all of my emotions. I can't feel happy, depressed, sad, cry, etc...I can still taste food but get no pleasure. I can still hear music but get no pleasure. I suspect something has been silenced from this benzo withdrawal and had to do with my prior drug use and genetic factors. The farther away I am from the drug the less emotions I am getting. Apparently I was healing 2 years ago from the prior drug injury and getting my libido back just very slowly but I shouldn't have messed up and took more drugs. It was a big mistake and hopefully I can get my emotions back somehow. But this time I am very scared inside that I am losing my soul. I will rewrite this under a new topic as well.

Edited by chelated, 15 July 2009 - 02:39 AM.

#38 chelated

• Topic Starter
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:03 PM

This is in response to the initial post that I wrote over 2 years ago. I was not thinking properly when I wrote that post. Innocent people may have been hurt and confused because of my statements.

I have recently began to grow as a human being. In order to heal from psychological injuries one should put their faith in a higher power. One should pray and meditate and change their focus away from themselves in order for healing to begin. An important ingredient is that you must have courage that you will get better. Do not let the constant negativity (which may be reinforced by the internet and other discouraging sources that you refer to) override your path to positivity and remember the one who is most critical and most negative about yourself is yourself. Hopefully these words will set a new course in the road to your full recovery. Good luck!

~chelated

#39 bobman

• 258 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:49 AM

This is in response to the initial post that I wrote over 2 years ago. I was not thinking properly when I wrote that post. Innocent people may have been hurt and confused because of my statements.

I have recently began to grow as a human being. In order to heal from psychological injuries one should put their faith in a higher power. One should pray and meditate and change their focus away from themselves in order for healing to begin. An important ingredient is that you must have courage that you will get better. Do not let the constant negativity (which may be reinforced by the internet and other discouraging sources that you refer to) override your path to positivity and remember the one who is most critical and most negative about yourself is yourself. Hopefully these words will set a new course in the road to your full recovery. Good luck!

~chelated

So any updates? How've you been?

#40 russianBEAR

• 432 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:04 AM

Good to hear. Benzo withdrawals are unbearable sometimes so it's good to have motivational success stories for others in the same boat.

#41 haha

• 91 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:23 AM

What a said story, what wasite. Resperdal doesnt bind to D2 receptors it blocks cellular uptake and transport from the extracellurlar matrix, there are werid specificties and the peptide it binds to does complex with many proteins like adenosine, d2,nmda and a large host of other. antiphycotics are designed to poison in my opinion, causing catatontia, sigma-2 is the protein that was blocked and therefore agonist are the way to go in my opinion modafinil,tumeric and lots of exercise http://www.endocytosis.org/Adaptors/

I think i remeber saying you were given burponion this is a sigma-2 agonist but maybe have sigma-2 antagonist aswell because its not in it functional state of binding.

Ibogaine maybe the best bet

#42 Dorho

• 354 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:30 AM

antiphycotics are designed to poison in my opinion, causing catatontia

Depends on what kind of antipsychotics we're talking about. I believe there are safer drugs than irsperdal to control the positive symptoms.

In the case of hebephrenia, or "disorganized schizophrenia", the negative symptoms are the main target of drugs such as piracetam. About the negative symptoms: http://fi.wikipedia....en_skitsofrenia

Edited by Dorho, 24 April 2010 - 08:31 AM.

#43 chelated

• Topic Starter
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:54 AM

I just want to say that the brain will indeed go back to the way it was as long as you stay the course. After my withdrawal from all drugs my brain was healing last year and it actually reset in a phenomenal way. Most if not all can recover from drugs even the most poisonous if you stay away from negativity and try to do what is right in life. I am telling you this as my sex drive did come back literally 100% at a point last year but later actions left me in a state I'm trying to get out of right now. Our faith is definitely tested when things are not looking so bright. Please don't give in to negativity and you will come out on top. Pray for help and don't ever give up hope if you are not fully recovered yet. It is attainable as I have truly recovered fully at a point in time. I later developed a strange food allergy to gluten from side effects of another drug withdrawal. Otherwise I would be fully recovered right now. I wish I didn't post this thread b/c I was actually healing when i initially posted it years ago just at a slower pace than I would have liked. It led me to my own negative spiral b/c of negative reinforcement from others. Else I wouldn't have lost these past 3 years either. Yes these drugs are very harmful but yes again it is possible to make a 100% recovery. Drugs are definitely a crap shoot but life doesn't have to be.

pz~chelated

#44 bobman

• 258 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:12 AM

I just want to say that the brain will indeed go back to the way it was as long as you stay the course. After my withdrawal from all drugs my brain was healing last year and it actually reset in a phenomenal way. Most if not all can recover from drugs even the most poisonous if you stay away from negativity and try to do what is right in life. I am telling you this as my sex drive did come back literally 100% at a point last year but later actions left me in a state I'm trying to get out of right now. Our faith is definitely tested when things are not looking so bright. Please don't give in to negativity and you will come out on top. Pray for help and don't ever give up hope if you are not fully recovered yet. It is attainable as I have truly recovered fully at a point in time. I later developed a strange food allergy to gluten from side effects of another drug withdrawal. Otherwise I would be fully recovered right now. I wish I didn't post this thread b/c I was actually healing when i initially posted it years ago just at a slower pace than I would have liked. It led me to my own negative spiral b/c of negative reinforcement from others. Else I wouldn't have lost these past 3 years either. Yes these drugs are very harmful but yes again it is possible to make a 100% recovery. Drugs are definitely a crap shoot but life doesn't have to be.

pz~chelated

That is really inspirational. I'm 1 year 4 months out and its hard to stay positive sometimes. We're the same age too. Good for you man.

PS: Am I getting this right, that you ended up getting your libido back and then spat seed in the wrong girl?

Edited by bobmann, 28 June 2010 - 06:17 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#45 Hypothermic

• 64 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

My Risperdal dose was between .5 and 1 MG/ day. That was it. It was only when I read a few posts and got nervous (early August 07) and just quit it cold.
I swear since that DAY no blood has been moving down there. The libido seems to be attached to everything else, so even simple enjoyment is out the window. I sleep a lot because I dont look forward to anything, I never have sexual thoughts anymore. Seems like Risperdal screwed up the Dopamine connection somehow which is why I have been trying these supplements. My psychiatrist is laying this all on depression, which I don't buy. Even depressed I had a libido.

Mine was 12mg, when I was given Invega Sustenna. I'm not sure how potent this medication is but I feel mentally declined from an invalid injections.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users