Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

I'm on youtube

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 biknut

• 1,892 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:15 PM

I'm the first of the two. I'm not that good but I'm trying. I won a gold metal in the advanced level, over 35 year old class. 6 more years and I'll be competing in the over 60 class. This is how I get my exercise.

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:30 PM

So, it's like dancing?

#3 biknut

• Topic Starter
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (shepard)
So, it's like dancing?

Yes, that's actually an accurate description. Our style, Hung Gar, dates back to the 1600s. It started in the southern Shaolin temple in China. The monks in this temple were loyal to the Ming Dynasty that was overthrown by the Qing Dynasty in 1644. For years after the overthrow soldiers and revolutionary's migrated to this temple to learn, and teach fighting techniques in an effort to eventually reinstate the Ming Dynasty. The Qing government destroyed the temple but disciples that escaped spread out over southern china teaching their fighting techniques in secret. If Qing authorities caught anyone teaching fighting techniques they were executed so the lessons were disguised to look a lot like dancing.

I consider it a great way to exercise and have fun at the same time. Hung Gar also includes Lion Dancing, and Chinese Herbal Medicine which comes in handy for the students.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:24 PM

Not bad at all.

>>> So, it's like dancing?

It's a routine that simulates a fight against one or more opponents. It merely provides another way to practices moves and perfect them, by burning them into the mind such that they become second nature and instinctual. Also, many societies who practised martial arts hid what they were doing by making them dance-like in appearance, so that the local authorities would not recognize the true intent.

#5 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:06 PM

Biknut who set up the area that you did the form in? They need to be slapped. There is a child in the lower left hand corner just a few feet from your spear? There are times where your spear clearly goes over the line at head height. WTF

#6 biknut

• Topic Starter
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 12:15 AM

QUOTE (zoolander)
Biknut who set up the area that you did the form in? They need to be slapped. There is a child in the lower left hand corner just a few feet from your spear? There are times where your spear clearly goes over the line at head height. WTF

I questioned the size of the ring too. The rules said ring size would be 20'x24'. Clearly it wasn't that wide. They're incorrectly calling that weapon a spear, but really it's a rattan staff. If you hit anyone the judges deduct 1/2 a point. 1 whole point if you kill them. :)

#7 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 12:29 AM

Actually I couldn't see the tip but assumed you were doing some sort of spear form because of the ribbon attached to the staff

#8 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 12:30 AM

Biknut have you seen the staff/spear fight scenes in the movie Kung Fu Hustle?

#9 biknut

• Topic Starter
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE (zoolander)
Biknut have you seen the staff/spear fight scenes in the movie Kung Fu Hustle?

Yes.

My favorite Kung Fu movie is Fearless with Jet Lee. I highly recommend it.

The story is about the founder of the Chin Woo style. In the Bruce Lee movie, The Chinese Connection, at the beginning of that movie the guy they're burying is the same guy.

#10 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 01:42 AM

We need some Kung fu music as a theme song for this thread.

#11 basho

• 774 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:24 AM

biknut, that's awesome.

I've always been a big fan of Wushu. I've seen some live demos by the serious guys from China, and the mix of precision and fluidity in their movements is almost supernatural.

[

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users