• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Half dose ortho-core: what am I missing?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:38 PM

I take 4-5 caps of ortho-core a day. As far as vitamins and minerals I also take extra magnesium, vitamin D3, and zinc.
Is there anything else I should be boosting up as far as vitamins are conserned?

I'm thinking about taking 100mg of extra mixed tocopherols and 10mg of tocotrienols:
http://www.easycart....images/1153.jpg
The dosage there is 340mg of mixed tocopherols, but I think that is overkill.

Mixed tocotrienols
http://www.easycart....images/2125.jpg
Again I would take 10mg instead of 50mg.

#2 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:00 PM

I take 4-5 caps of ortho-core a day.  As far as vitamins and minerals I also take extra magnesium, vitamin D3, and zinc.
Is there anything else I should be boosting up as far as vitamins are conserned? 

Lutein/zeaxanthin and folic acid.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:23 PM

I take 5 capsules also. But the reason is that I don´t want more synthetic folic acid than necessary. The folic acid from supplements that doesn´t get enzymatically converted to l-methylfolate (active folate), gets accumulated in the bloodstream for days and weeks.

The latest coloncancer prevention study showed INCREASED frequency of colon cancer in a group that took 1000 mcg for three years. The researchers speculated that the unconverted folic acid stimulated pre-cancerous lesions to divide faster.

If you want to take folic acid at all Mercks METAFOLIN (active converted folate) seems to be the best alternative: http://www.metafolin.com/

and can be found in for example: http://www.hsfighter...t_folicacid.htm

or

Swanson vitamins activated B-complex along with benfotiamine (but only half of the folic acid is METAFOLIN).

edit: mg to mcg

#4 buck1s

• 86 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:31 PM

Health_nutty, thanks for bringing up this topic. I had never taken the full dose of OC, but usually 2/3. However, I have now backed off to half because of the selenium issue. Could you please explain to me why you're so confident that you need to supplement extra zinc? That is one metal that I just can't find a clear right or wrong about in the literature. Thanks.

Chris

#5 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:37 PM

Chris, actually I'm not confident that I need supplemental zinc. I have read from non-authoritative sources that zinc is a common deficiency in athletes, but I really haven't seen a study on it.

#6 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 12:02 AM

what about testing zinc levels with some zinc tally? I read that if tastes like water this is a good sign of zinc deficiency.

#7 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 01:37 AM

what about testing zinc levels with some zinc tally? I read that if tastes like water this is a good sign of zinc deficiency.

Is this a reliable method?

#8 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 02:21 AM

well i'm not too sure but it wouldn't hurt to try. its basically liquid zinc. You put it in your mouth and if you don't have any sort of deficiency it tastes like a liquefied metal car bumper.

#9 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 06:36 PM

The Iowa Women's Health Study found that intakes of zinc above the RDA were helpful in cancer prevention. In this paper, getting >17.6 mg/day was best for colon cancer. In PMID: 16201844, the highest sextile (abstract didn't specify dose) was best for lung cancer. In PMID: 15929082, the highest quintile was best for gastric/esophageal cancer.

Overdoing it is bad.

#10 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 10:21 PM

More info on folic acid. This paper says you have to take supplements for 15 years to get lower cancer risk. So it may both prevent cancer and feed existing cancer.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 health_nutty

• Topic Starter
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:11 AM

Here is a summary of what was previously missing from both my multi and diet and what I"m doing about it now:
1) Mixed tocopherols and tocotrienols. Supplementing with 100mg and 15mg respectively
2) Sulphoraphane: Eating 1/2 cup of broccoli sprouts a day along with kale and broccoli.
3) Zinc: Taking an extra 30mg of zinc (I can feel a difference on this one)
4) K2: Eating lots of K1 and hoping for the best :-D
5) Chlorophillin: Eating lots of Chlorophyll rich foods and hoping for the best.
I was already taking and will continue to take extra 300mg magnesium and 2000iu vitamin D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users