* * * * * 1 votes

Aubrey de Grey and Michael Ray's Ending Aging

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 02:34 AM

The book has more in it that you can delve into on all of Aubrey's web sites, and in a much more coherent manner.

#62 Grail

• Guest, F@H
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 03:20 AM

I just ordered 2 copies each of Shannon's and Aubrey's books. Will donate 1 copy of each to my local library.
I like to snuggle up with a good book rather than an awkward PC...

#63 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:36 AM

Down to #713 now. Boo.

#64 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:52 PM

I really like the book so far. I should be ashamed that I'm not done with it yet, but it's football season. It's quite readable. Although, from what my friends tell me, biological terms are more intimidating than those from other scientific areas. So, I'm hoping it will still appeal to the normal pop-sci reader.

#65 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:15 PM

it's football season.

Finally. Football is one of my guilty pleasures as well.

#66 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:52 PM

Oh Grail--thank you! :) :)

I'm into chapter five-- during chapter four the science came on heavy, and I was worried that I'd be lost in the minute detail, but so far everything has been clearly explained and I've had no problem understanding all the concepts. (I'd like to hear from someone that has not reading science news since they were a teen, or loved the field of science, contribute to it etc.)

It is cute too see guys (ok, maybe some girls) so excited about football, my husband was stoked last night in front of our 72 inch-- I even hung out a bit, asked a bunch of questions before going to work out ;)

#67 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:40 AM

Yup, got the football on the big screen tonight (Cowboys!)

But--just read this review of 'Ending Aging' in the Wall Street Journal and wanted to share :)

http://online.wsj.co...=googlenews_wsj

#68 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:43 AM

But--just read this review of 'Ending Aging' in the Wall Street Journal and wanted to share :)

Someone should explain to Mr. Boutin what a PhD does to your title....

#69 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:49 AM

Yeah he said Dr. in one place, then Mr. the rest of the time. I thought it was even handed and very much pro-anti-aging in the end though.

#70 advancedatheist

• 1,419 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 04:17 PM

Attached Files

#71 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 05:15 PM

Back up to #611 in books on Amazon. It would be nice to break into the upper echelon of books.

#72 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:52 PM

Lets see how it does after his national T.V. appearance, but really--I'm on chapter 8, and it is doing very very very well for being so technical. The science is explained clearly, I love the writing style, but I'm sure it would be 'boring' 'too-much' or simply 'over the heads' of many. The book is an eye opener to me, I mean I thought I knew a lot about the subject...

#73 braz

• 147 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:22 AM

Just ordered my copy. Wonder when this will be translated in other languages?

#74 kurt9

• 256 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:54 AM

I think this book could be quite sucessful. I did not expect much when Kurzweil's singularity book came out. Sales of it were slow at first. I thought it would not go far, because the "singularity" is something us techno-geeks talk about, but noone else does. However, I think it did become a NYT non-fiction best seller about 8 months later and the concept of a "singularity" has entered mainstream thinking in the last year or so. Kurxweil himself went from being paid $600 per speach up to $25,000 per speach.

I think it likely that "Ending Aging" will follow a similiar pattern. If so, the SENS idea will be widely known by the general public by the middle of next year.

#75 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:57 AM

Wonder if Aubrey used any of the same promotion people? I know he got some advice from Ray, understandably Ray is supportive :)

#76 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 07:14 PM

I was browsing edge.org today, and on the front page they had a link to an exerpt from the book:
http://edge.org/3rd_...ey07_index.html

#77 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:38 AM

I'm still on Chapter 8, have been busy with teaching Hinduism to kids, and writing--need to work out and get the whole book read! (I walk on a treadmill at 12% incline)

The books is well written, clear in concept. I'm looking forward to see what Aubrey says tomorrow morning on 'Good Morning America' !

#78 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:52 AM

Good news ... I just bought two copies. One for myself and one for my friend.

Hopefully that made a small difference [lol]

#79 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 01:53 PM

Excellent Kostas..

spreading the message of the potential of science makes the biggest difference and buying one for your friend may have far-reaching effects we don't know..

flap those butterfly wings.. and the tempest could ensue.

#80 Neurosail

• Life Member, F@H
  • 311 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:06 AM

Here is the review on TCS Daily:

Living Forever: Is it posible? What will get us there?

I would recommend giving Ending Aging to any scientifically-inclined youngster. It gives a sense of the possibilities, drama, and frustration of scientific inquiry. Also, it might inspire some young geniuses to undertake the sort of investigations and experiments that de Grey thinks will help win the war against aging.

Here is a link to a discussion about the book: Discussion Forum

I'm on page 135 of the book. It is very easy to read... ;)

#81 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:07 AM

I finished it, and it is clear. If you just want the inspiration and not the deep science, you can skip the middle chapters. I liked reading them though and getting insight into the aging process, and more of what I can do in my own life.

#82 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:08 AM

I just ordered a copy on Amazon ;) Nudge its score up a tad :)

#83 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:06 PM

I finished it, and it is clear.  If you just want the inspiration and not the deep science, you can skip the middle chapters.  I liked reading them though and getting insight into the aging process, and more of what  I can do in my own life.

The enthusiasm, sense of urgency/ importance certainly come through. I cant think of a much better start to the book than they have.

#84 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:44 AM

Any other media appearances coming up that we can look for?

#85 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:35 PM

Brian, the president of the Calorie Restriction society is being interviewed by CBS on the 30th. He is a supporter of Aubrey too, I'll give more details if I find them out--but I don't know what show, right now.

#86 Liquidus

• 446 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:49 PM

I finally got my Visa in (lost my wallet a few weeks ago), so I just ordered a copy. I look forward to reading it (and I'm not a big hard copy reader either).

#87 struct

• 565 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:13 AM

I got the book today at a local Barnes&Noble. I still have to finish 'Singularity is Near' even though I may start on this one. Extraordinarily, I am reading non-school books, with a snail pace though.
I hardly get attracted to reading books. I hope this one fires up many of my neurons.

#88 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:25 AM

Well--the first few chapters and last few--are the easy to read ones--if you are short on time, I'd check them out.

#89 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:25 AM

I'm reading the Singularity is near right now too. Just got through the computational capacity of the brain chapter (which was mostly dull technical stuff to be honest). I'll get Ending Aging and 21st century kids off amazon soon. I tried to get Ending Aging from a local store, but they didn't have it because it hadn't been released yet, and I'm not sure they intended on getting it :(

#90 struct

• 565 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:38 AM

Well--the first few chapters and last few--are the easy to read ones--if you are short on time, I'd check them out.

If I am short on time!!?? I have plenty of time ahead of me [tung]; I am only 31. You don't want to skip chapters on such books.

I tried to get Ending Aging from a local store, but they didn't have it because it hadn't been released yet, and I'm not sure they intended on getting it :(

Maybe the 'ship' that was en route to Australia got lost in the Pacific. [tung] .
I went first to Borders; they didn't have it. Then I went to Barn&Nobles a block far from Borders; they had 6 of them. I rushed and grabbed one quickly in fear of someone coming at that moment there and grabbing all six of them (I know the chances were low of someone doing that but I didn't want to take chances) [lol] .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users