Photo
- - - - -

Bad Breath Remedy - Sodium Bicarbonate

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 iforgotmyname

• 30 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:07 AM

I searched google for the same answer after seeing it as a remedy for bad breath, and got mixed answers. (my bad breath is due to not brushing my teeth recently and now I cant seem to get back to where I was with a toothbrush and tongue scraper) So i was thinking of doing this just once. Is it bad for you and would it cause any severe problems if a little was accidentally swallowed during gargling? Also how does it work exactly? I know there is a protective coating on the tongue protecting the bacteria underneath, and a spoon was able to clean the forepart of my tongue, but in the back I gag too much, and I think gargling is the answer, if its safe in your opinion.

#2 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 August 2007 - 01:52 PM

you just need to kill the bacterial deposits you build up...

find a mouthwash with stablized h202 like therabreath

get a tube of colgate total (has triclosan w/ a binder that keeps it on your teeth for 12 hours)

get a tongue scraper (a spoon will not do)

chew xylitol gum (spryy is good and cheap)

3 times a day for week, preferably after each meal:

scrape (dip into the therabreath before using)
floss (dip into the therabreath before using)
brush
mouthwash

(in that order)

#3 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 02:01 PM

Yeah also check out probiotics. Try that before any chems. Remember things that destroy viral DNA may also damage your own DNA for example hydrogen peroxide.

Alot of people who have bad breath got it from taking a course of anti-biotics that killed the natural fauna in their mouth. Even just eating yogurt may help you.

Edited by caston, 19 August 2007 - 03:44 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:24 PM

... and no

nothing is going to hurt you from swishing with baking soda.

#5 jubai

• 130 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:32 PM

Yup don't be afraid, BS is actualy good for you, will clean your teeth and breath.

Ingesting small quantities of Bs (1/4tbps) a day would be good for most people too, since most of us have acidic PHs (due to alimentation, environmental hazards..) and BS will turn the body to the alkalinic side.

#6 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:58 PM

The only thing that could hurt you is the sodium, and that's only if you're taking a bunch for pH purposes. Potassium bicarbonate would be a better choice for that. [weasel_mode] And no, I don't know how many grams are in a bunch. [/weasel_mode]

I once used a peroxide mouthwash and it gave me gum lesions nowhere near the gum line. It was like I had flesh-eating bacteria. They healed once I stopped.

#7 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 June 2022 - 05:08 PM

Studies have shown that sodium bicarbonate, can effectively kill bacteria in the mouth by increasing water production.

Edited by kurdishfella, 06 June 2022 - 05:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users