• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

life extension and the singularity

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Which scenario do you think is the most likely (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Which scenario do you think is the most likely

1. The singularity will help us achieve radical life extension (8 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

2. The singularity will happen but won't lead to longer lifespans (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Bio-medical research will defeat aging before the singularity (12 votes [54.55%])

Percentage of vote: 54.55%

4. Neither radical life extension nor the singularity will occur (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I don't know (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

6. other (please explain) (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 cyborgdreamer

• 735 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 05:23 AM

Feel free to explain your reasoning on the board.

#2 phylodome

• 19 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:06 AM

*Bio-medical research is technically part of what would be defined as a "singularity"

There will be massive cultural blowback over radical life extension when the technologies begin arousing popular debate, which will likely be when modern religions are pushed to their breaking points by our own acts as demigods.

Hopefully we don't kill ourselves, but if you had included that in your survey, i think at this point i would be inclined to choose it.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:14 AM

I guess I'm quite optimistic so I voted for the first.

#4 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:06 AM

I voted for the third option. I believe it is a problem that humans can resolve but we will need tools ranging from low-tech to the the absolute state of the art and stuff that hasn't even been invented yet. The driving force behind all of this is our dedication and our imaginations. A lot of the advances will double as treatments for viral, genetic, metabolism and age related diseases and it shouldn't be difficult to find funding for them if we break the problem down into small parts where breakthroughs can bring incremental increases to the quality of life and our life expectancy in reasonable time frames.

All of these advances will be in the right direction and a stated and carefully planned course of maintaining the human body in a healthy and youthful state. Other advances will come along that are purely for profit but we understand that money is little comfort for poor health and useless if you are dead.

We will also need to explore and truly understand the relationship between sex and death in order to defeat death.

Edited by caston, 22 August 2007 - 12:08 PM.

#5 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:13 AM

I voted for number three as I suspect that conscious machines might be very, very hard to do. Is human-level AI possible without consciousness? I somehow doubt it.

#6 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:59 PM

I think we will need medical science to extend our lifespan in order to see the singularity. The singularity will then complete the task we have started.

So, i guess technically my answer should be the first one, even though I think we will have medical breakthroughs in extending lifespan before the singularity.

#7 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:14 AM

Didn't we have this poll exactly made once, a year ago or so?

-Inf.

#8 cyborgdreamer

• Topic Starter
  • 735 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:53 PM

-Inf.

If there was, it didn't know about it -I wasn't here a year ago. [lol]

#9 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 01:24 AM

-Inf.

I've noticed lots of stuff is recycled from month to month, year to year, etc. Its all good though. :))

sponsored ad

• Advert

#10 Liquidus

• 446 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:00 AM

Bio-medical research will defeat aging before the singularity

Seems like the most likely to happen. I think less emphasis will be put on AI once the technology (probably thanks to religious/moral counters) becomes available at first. In that event, more of the technology would likely be used on more relevent issues that people today can relate to, like perfecting biology, curing aging, optimizing the body.

As humans are able to overcome the problems of their last phase of evolution (which, is our current day state of being a human being), they will then likely be more prepared for the Singularity and real AIs with actual rights. It's also important to consider that the acceptance of AI's will probably increase with the generations who are born into this better human condition, so eventually the Singularity will happen, and AIs will be equal to humans, and help humans achieve great things.

Of course, I could be wrong, maybe society will be come more liberal with the acceptance of science and technology not as an experiment in a laboratory, but rather as a necessity as humans continue to explore their potential into the future. My original mindset is that the singularity might be slowed down by our current day models of society, so unless society evolves, the biological aspects will likely come before the singularity.

But, no one knows, and that's why we play the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users