• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Need a cure for school related stress:HOLY BASIL?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sogazelle

• 26 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:22 PM

I would like to apoligize if anyone has already started this thread. I'm about to start school AGAIN !!! next week ( premed) and I tend to stress easily. This disrupts my studies and sleep patterns. I'm aiming to correct this, and doing some research . This is what I stumbled upon: A herb called HOLY BASIL ( TULSI) which is apparently " the most sacred herb of India. Has anyone experienced with this herb, which seem to bestow such amazing health benefits ??? If yes, for what purpose ? Otherwise any suggestion is welcomed. Thanks .

[COLOR=[U]blue]
[quote]
Tulsi Queen of HerbsTulsi's Health Highlights

Modern scientific research provides evidence that Tulsi offers
the following benefits:

Holistic Health Promotion
Enhances general health and well-being, having positive overall effects on the body and mind.

Stress Resilience
Increases the capacity to cope and adapt to changing and challenging environments, and reduces the negative physical and psychological effects of stress (adaptogenic).

Energy and Performance Enhancement
Improves stamina and endurance, and increases the body’s efficiency in using oxygen. Enhances protein synthesis and strength.

Anti-Aging Effects
Slows the biological aging process by reducing the impact of physiological aging factors.

Antioxidant Activity
Provides significant antioxidant and free radical scavenging protection. Neutralizes dangerous biochemicals that contribute to premature aging, cataracts, cancer and other degenerative diseases.

Radiation Protection
Reduces the cell and tissue damage caused by harmful rays of the sun, TV, computers, X-rays, radiation therapy, high altitude air travel, etc.

Immunity Tune-Up
Strengthens and modulates the immune system. Reduces allergic histamine, asthmatic and other adverse immune reactions.

Anti-inflammatory Action
Reduces the painful and dangerous inflammation that plays a key role in various forms of arthritis, cancer and degenerative neurological disorders.

Antibiotic Protection
Offers significant natural antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal protection and is, thereby, helpful in treating many serious systemic diseases, as well as localized infections.

Heart and Vascular Protection
Lowers dangerous cholesterol and stress related high blood pressure, protects the heart and blood vessels, and has mild blood thinning qualities, thereby decreasing the likelihood of strokes.

Liver Support
Generally contributes to healthy liver function, improves the metabolic breakdown and elimination of dangerous chemicals in the blood, and counteracts various liver diseases.

Lung and Bronchial Support
In addition to contributing generally to respiratory health, Tulsi has been shown to be helpful in the treatment of a variety of serious allergic, inflammatory and infectious disorders affecting the lungs and related tissues.

Nutrition
Contains vitamins C and A, and minerals calcium, zinc and iron, as well as chlorophyll and many other phytonutrients. Also enhances the efficient digestion, absorption and use of nutrients from food and other herbs.

Allopathic Medicine Complement
Enhances the effectiveness and reduces the negative and often dangerous side effects of many standard modern medical treatments.

Other Benefits
Lowers fevers, protects against gastric ulcers, reduces dangerous blood sugar levels in diabetics, and supports dental and periodontal health (and diminishes “bad breath”). Also protects against mercury poisoning, speeds healing of bone fractures, reduces nausea, vomiting and cramping, and repels insects, including mosquitoes and lice.

High Safety Margin
Research indicates that the holy basil Tulsi has a very high safety margin with exceptionally low toxicity, providing general beneficial effects at doses without adverse reactions or other undesirable side effects.
“When I was first introduced to the sacred Tulsi, my first reaction as a Western scientist was disbelief. There seemed to be far more wide-ranging health benefits attributed to this plant than could be possible for a single agent. Yet, I realized that there must be compelling reasons why Tulsi has, for thousands of years, remained one of the most cherished of India’s sacred healing plants.”

—Dr. Ralph D. Miller

Tulsi, The Mother Medicine of Nature [lol]

#2 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 August 2007 - 01:42 AM

it works

ive had great success using rhodiola / ashwaghanda and holy basil together

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 saxiephon

• 79 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 01:44 AM

I have not used this herb but Dr. Weil gives it a positive slant as follows:

Holy Basil to Combat Stress?
Q What can you tell me about holy basil? I read one article about it, and it sounded very good.
A Answer (Published 11/5/2004)
Holy basil (Ocimum sanctum) is an herb native to India, where it is known as tulsi. It is sacred in the Hindu religious tradition and is regarded as one of the most important plants used in Ayurvedic medicine. If you go to India, you will see holy basil growing in profusion around Hindu temples. It comes in red and green varieties, both with a strong, pleasant aroma. More clove-like than that of culinary basil, holy basil has been used for centuries to treat a variety of medical conditions including heart problems, asthma, bronchitis, arthritis and eye disorders. Although historically it hasn't been used for cooking, some American cooks have begun to experiment with it.
In the past decade or so a number of scientific studies have looked at holy basil for various treatment purposes. All of these studies have been done in animals, usually laboratory mice and rats, so we can't be certain that results will translate to humans. Findings from these various investigations suggest that holy basil might have some effects as a painkiller, a COX-II anti-inflammatory agent, an antioxidant, and as a treatment for bacterial, fungal and even viral infections. There is also evidence (again, only from animal studies) that holy basil might help control blood sugar.
The most compelling evidence I've reviewed indicates that holy basil may help counteract the effects of stress. In fact, preparations made from holy basil are widely used to treat stress-related health problems in India and elsewhere. One study, published in 1991 in the Indian Journal of Pharmacology, compared holy basil to Siberian ginseng (Eleutherococcus senticosus) and Asian ginseng (Panax ginseng) and found that holy basil was the most potent anti-stress agent of the three, and also had the highest margin of safety. However, this study, as well as a dozen others I found in a search of the medical literature, was conducted in laboratory animals, not humans.
I know that holy basil is being promoted as a treatment for reducing both stress and elevated levels of the stress hormone cortisol, and to promote physical and emotional endurance. My feeling is that if you're seeking to manage stress, breathing exercises and regular aerobic exercise are more important first steps. Practicing regular, mindful breathing can be calming and energizing and can even help with stress-related health problems ranging from panic attacks to digestive disorders. However, some practitioners tell me that they see good results with holy basil in combination with lifestyle modification and that this herb works quickly.
Andrew Weil, M.D.

#4 sogazelle

• Topic Starter
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:48 PM

It seems like a herb with great health benefits, but it might also have anti fertility effects. This is something I'm trying to dig into. To find if some sort of research have been done to confirm this action. I'm supposing that it must have some kind of hormonal effect in women and/or men. If I find something, I will post it. My fertility is something I do not want to mess with. Thank you guys for your postings.

#5 neogenic

• 481 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:11 PM

Holy basil with me and a good friend of mine, even in a relatively low-dose has sedative effects. Not sure if this is common for most. Curious to hear. 1 cap of the herb puts me down for the count.

#6 neogenic

• 481 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:12 PM

Oh, and I like Relora for stress much, much better...its significant and noticeable.

#7 mike_nyc

• 46 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:01 AM

I take it before bed and it helps me sleep well at night.

I didn't think to take it before bed except for an experience of taking it during an international trip. I was trying to make a major time change adjustment and was feeling a pretty normal energy level with a quick adjustment. At that time, it was my practice to take holy basil during the middle of the day. When I took the holybasil on the trip, though, I could barely stay awake afterwards. So it felt as though the holy basil was making me aware of my underlying tiredness.

Among all the brands I have tried, I prefer the Gaia gel cap version.
  • like x 1

#8 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:34 AM

i will second the potency of gaia's holy basil... and all of their products in general.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 sogazelle

• Topic Starter
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:11 PM

I will try gaia's holy basil. Thanks everyone. Not to go off the thread, has anyone used AOR's Turbo Tyro Tea? what effects did they get. Was is beneficial for stress? And last but not least where in the U.S or online can I purchase it a little cheaper? Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users