Photo
- - - - -

Krill oil

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nameless

• 2,268 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:45 AM

I recently purchased a bottle of krill oil, hoping it'll help with HDL values. I'm curious if anyone out there has used krill before, and if so, is it normal to have a... well, rather fishy (or krilly, I suppose) odor to it? The inside of the bottle smells sort of like seaweed washed up on a beach, mixed with dead fish. I think I'll have to quarantine the stuff somewhere, just so it doesn't smell up the inside of my kitchen cabinet each time I open the bottle.

I am using Neptune Krill, from Source Naturals, by the way. My first thought was that this stuff was rancid, so I broke open a capsule and tasted it. A bit fishy, yes, but it didn't taste rotten or rancid to me. So I guess my question is... is this stuff supposed to smell so bad?

#2 brainengineer

• 45 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:03 AM

The stuff I had from Vitacost did smell pretty bad as well. It was noticably stronger than fish oil.

Be sure and let us know how the Krill oil experiment goes...

--
BrainEngineer

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 nameless

• Topic Starter
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:19 PM

I'll let you know how it goes. I figure in about 50-60 days or so I'll have some results to report. I'll be doing an approx. 40 day experiment, with 1.5 grams/day for around 10 days, then raising it to 2g/day for the next 30 days.

I'm just not exactly sure how to adjust my current fish oil intake, since I'm adding krill too. I guess I'll try to keep around the same omega 3 dosage (2 grams/day). but 360-480mg of it will be from krill instead of fish.

And I wish they came out with a non-smelly version of this stuff. Maybe if I try another manufacturer it'll be a little less foul. It's much worse than any fish oil odor I've ever encountered... even the fishiest bottles of fish oil smells like roses in comparison.

#4 wayside

• 344 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 12:58 AM

The krill I took (from mercola.com) had a fairly strong shellfish kind of smell, but only if you stuck your nose in the bottle and sniffed.

I'm just not exactly sure how to adjust my current fish oil intake, since I'm adding krill too.

I've seen claims ranging from 5x-10x better bioavailability from krill oil over fish oil. If true, you could lower your fish oil consumption by 1.7-3.4 gms for every gm of krill oil you take (assuming 720 mg omega3 /gm fish oil).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 nameless

• Topic Starter
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 03:22 AM

I think I may have gotten a 'not so fresh' batch. I don't think it's bad, but it may not be the freshest. I notice the smell as soon as I open the bottle, and my hands even stink after handling the capsules.

After I finish up the Source Naturals bottle, I think I'm going to try Swanson's krill. It's cheaper and uses the same Neptune oil as all the other brands do. Hopefully, it'll stink a bit less.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users