Photo
- - - - -

extra E?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 buck1s

• 86 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:15 PM

Like some others in this forum, I've been taking 1/2 dose of OrthoCore daily. I know health_nutty has already thought about what else he should supplement, but I am specifically curious about extra vitamin E (& tocos). Taking all opinions on whether one should get more than 1/2 dose OC vit E. I checked iHerb for E supplements and am curious if anyone has taken the Jarrow Tocosorb. Thanks all.

Chris

#2 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:34 PM

i find it very easy to hit 100% or more of a-t, and atleast equal g-t in my diet...and would imagine that most others w/ healthy diets do the same.

i see no real need to supplement additional E, on top of the additional E i get in my multi...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:05 PM

More gamma E could be helpful. We really need more studies on it. Here's one where 100 mg gamma + 40 mg delta + 20 mg alpha was given. (And that's all I could find...) I take the Jarrow gamma E product with no tocotrienols since I don't need lower cholesterol.

http://www.ajcn.org/...t/full/77/3/700

#4 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:53 PM

I take AOR Total E every friday night, when I traditionally eat a dish with some fat in it (indian food, some pizza). It's a party! I just get a little extra balanced vit E flowing around in my system once a week. I think with a lower dose regiment like what you're doing (which I do too), it's good to have some extra E...but I am a vegetarian and am pretty anal about food stuffs. [pirate]

#5 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:28 PM

I am a vegetarian

vegetarian crew holler [pirate]

#6 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:44 PM

http://www.imminst.o...=tocopherols&s=

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:15 PM

More gamma E could be helpful. We really need more studies on it. Here's one where 100 mg gamma + 40 mg delta + 20 mg alpha was given. (And that's all I could find...) I take the Jarrow gamma E product with no tocotrienols since I don't need lower cholesterol.

http://www.ajcn.org/...t/full/77/3/700

Krillin's demand has been met.

Free Radic Biol Med. 2007 Dec 23
Gamma-tocopherol supplementation alone and in combination with alpha-tocopherol alters biomarkers of oxidative stress and inflammation in subjects with metabolic syndrome.
Devaraj S, Leonard S, Traber MG, Jialal I.
Laboratory for Atherosclerosis and Metabolic Research, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA, USA.

Metabolic syndrome (MetS) is associated with increased incidence of diabetes and cardiovascular disease (CVD). Prospective clinical trials with alpha-tocopherol (AT) have not yielded positive results. Because AT supplementation decreases circulating gamma-tocopherol (GT), we evaluated supplementation with GT (800 mg/day), AT (800 mg/day), the combination or placebo for 6 weeks alone AT and GT concentrations, biomarkers of oxidative stress, and inflammation in subjects with MetS (n=20/group). Plasma AT and GT levels increased following supplementation with AT alone or GT alone or in combination. AT supplementation significantly decreased GT levels. Urinary alpha- and gamma-CEHC, metabolites of the respective Ts, also increased correspondingly, i.e., alpha-CEHC with AT and gamma-CEHC with GT supplementation, compared to placebo. HsCRP levels significantly decreased in the combined AT+GT group. LPS-activated whole blood release of IL-1 and IL-6 did not change. There was a significant decrease in TNF with AT alone or in combination with GT. Plasma MDA/HNE and lipid peroxides were significantly decreased with AT, GT, or in combination. Nitrotyrosine levels were significantly decreased only with GT or GT+AT but not with AT compared to placebo. Thus, the combination of AT and GT supplementation appears to be superior to either supplementation alone on biomarkers of oxidative stress and inflammation and needs to be tested in prospective clinical trials to elucidate its utility in CVD prevention.

PMID: 18191645

And here's one that I missed when I did my search the first time. The mixed tocopherols were 75 mg alpha, 315 mg gamma, and 110 mg delta: real close to Jarrow's blend (34 mg alpha, 7 mg beta, 300 mg gamma, 100 mg delta.)

Clin Chem. 2007 Mar;53(3):511-9. Epub 2007 Feb 1.
Effects of alpha-tocopherol and mixed tocopherol supplementation on markers of oxidative stress and inflammation in type 2 diabetes.
Wu JH, Ward NC, Indrawan AP, Almeida CA, Hodgson JM, Proudfoot JM, Puddey IB, Croft KD.
School of Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Western Australia, Crawley, Western Australia, Australia.

BACKGROUND: Vitamin E isomers may protect against atherosclerosis. The aim of this study was to compare the effects of supplementation with either alpha-tocopherol (alphaT) or mixed tocopherols rich in gamma-tocopherol (gammaT) on markers of oxidative stress and inflammation in patients with type 2 diabetes. METHODS: In a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial, 55 patients with type 2 diabetes were randomly assigned to receive (500 mg/day) (a) alphaT, (b) mixed tocopherols, or © placebo for 6 weeks. Cellular tocopherols, plasma and urine F(2)-isoprostanes, erythrocyte antioxidant enzyme activities, plasma inflammatory markers, and ex vivo assessment of eicosanoid synthesis were analyzed pre- and postsupplementation. RESULTS: Neutrophil alphaT and gammaT increased (both P <0.001) with mixed tocopherol supplementation, whereas alphaT (P <0.001) increased and gammaT decreased (P <0.005) after alphaT supplementation. Both alphaT and mixed tocopherol supplementation resulted in reduced plasma F(2)-isoprostanes (P <0.001 and P = 0.001, respectively) but did not affect 24-h urinary F(2)-isoprostanes or erythrocyte antioxidant enzyme activities. Neither alphaT nor mixed tocopherol supplementation affected plasma C-reactive protein, interleukin 6, tumor necrosis factor-alpha, or monocyte chemoattractant protein-1. Stimulated neutrophil leukotriene B(4) production decreased significantly in the mixed tocopherol group (P = 0.02) but not in the alphaT group (P = 0.15). CONCLUSIONS: The ability of tocopherols to reduce systemic oxidative stress suggests potential benefits of vitamin E supplementation in patients with type 2 diabetes. In populations with well-controlled type 2 diabetes, supplementation with either alphaT or mixed tocopherols rich in gammaT is unlikely to confer further benefits in reducing inflammation.

PMID: 17272491

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users