Photo
- - - - -

Sirtris to now test New Chemical Entities

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 06:30 PM

New study with funding from the NIA to look at compounds other than SIRT501.....

(note, I copied and pasted only part of the article with the more scientifically relevant parts-I cut out Westphal and Sinclair's self serving comments
on how great this new study would be.)

National Institute of Aging Funding to Study the Beneficial Effects of SIRT1 Activation on Diseases of Aging
Thursday September 6, 8:00 am ET

CAMBRIDGE, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sirtris Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SIRT - News), a biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering and developing small molecule drugs to treat diseases of aging, announced today the signing of a Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA) with the National Institute of Aging (NIA). Sirtris and its academic collaborators were awarded funding to study the effects of one of its new chemical entities (NCEs) on diseases of aging in mice. The NCE, which is structurally distinct from, and significantly more potent than Sirtris' proprietary resveratrol product (SRT501), will be tested in aging mice.

(cut out 2 paragraphs here)

About New Chemical Entities (NCEs)

New chemical entities which activate SIRT1 are structurally unrelated to and significantly more potent than SRT501, an improved formulation of resveratrol. SIRT1 is a member of the human sirtuin family of enzymes. Specifically, NCEs act by increasing mitochondrial activity in pre-clinical models of disease, and we believe they may be therapeutic for metabolic diseases like Type 2 Diabetes as well as other diseases of aging such as neurological and inflammatory disorders, and cancer.

About Sirtuins

Sirtuins are a recently-discovered family of enzymes that appear to regulate certain beneficial effects of calorie restriction. There are seven human sirtuins (SIRT1-7), each having a different sub-cellular localization. Sirtris believes that sirtuins are attractive drug targets since some have a specialized function in mitochondrial activity which may be therapeutically beneficial for metabolic and other diseases. By harnessing a natural process, Sirtris believes sirtuin therapeutics offer the potential for a novel class of drugs that can treat significant diseases of aging in a new way.

About Sirtris Pharmaceuticals

Sirtris Pharmaceuticals is a biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering and developing proprietary, orally available, small molecule drugs with the potential to treat diseases associated with aging, including metabolic diseases such as Type 2 Diabetes. Our drug candidates are designed to mimic certain beneficial health effects of calorie restriction, without requiring a change in eating habits, by activation of sirtuins, a recently discovered class of enzymes that control the aging process. The company's headquarters are in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

#2 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:26 PM

Sirtris loves press releases...

I think I have read this same things in other press releases they have had. Now that I look at it some more, It looks like a cookie cutter type press release, with the 'message' snipped out.

Hmm... interesting...

A

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users