Photo
- - - - -

Suggestions for Depression and ADD.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 deadstar711

• 23 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:21 PM

So, as I stated in my post from a few days ago my doctor wanted to prescribe an SSRI and Dexedrine to correct what he said as, " Dysthymic Depression & ADD". Honestly, I believe if anything it is this Dysthymic Depression from which I understand is a form of Chronic Depression. I have been battling this for some time now. Through reading and talking to others I have become interested in how a combo of Caffeine, Rhodiola, DL-Phenylalaline, Fish Oil, and one person reccomended either Ginkgo or Ginseng along with this. Does this regimen seem like it would be effective? If so, I am confused to how much to take as some of what I read seems high. I have been contemplating getting more Modafinil, but spending $100/a month isn't exactly appealing to me especially when I am still in college ( [wis] ).

Peace it.

#2 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 12:21 AM

I'm currently reading a book title Treating & Beating Anxiety and Depression with Orthomolecular Medicine by Dr. Rodger H. Murphree. It is basically about finding out which neurotransmitter(s) deficiency is causing your depression and using amino acids and/or Sam-e, exercise, and adequate sleep among other things to correct the imbalance(s).

He doesn't believe in prescription SSRIs or MAOIs for treating depression. He thinks they can mainly be brought to normal levels using the amino acids which increase the levels of the depleted neurotransmitters.

If you are low in GABA, take L-glutamine or GABA with juice. If you are low in serotonin, take 5-HTP or L-tryptophan, if you are low in Dopamine take SAM-e, if you are low in norepinephrin take SAM-e.

He is a big advocate of taking L-phenylalanine and DL-phenylalanine for everything except if you have a GABA deficiency.

He also believes that fish oil is really good.

I wouldn't take caffeine if I were you. After you get your levels corrected, your energy and mood will come back.

Take the Braverman test and post back what your results indicated.

The main things are exercise, sleep, nutrition, multi-vitamin/mineral, adequate methylB12 and folic acid.

The 'correct' amino acids will supplement the above. In the end, all 'should' be gravy.

I think you owe it to yourself to try this route first before taking an SSRI and powerful dexedrine.

Good luck! Any questions, PM me.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ortcloud

• 329 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 12:52 AM

Before you supplement with aminos, you should check your blood levels of vitamin d, they should be 50ng. You probably have a deficiency and you want to correct that first or at least at the same time.

Vitamin D rapidly increases the in‑vitro genetic expression of tyrosine hydroxylase (the rate‑limiting enzyme for the catecholamine biosynthesis) by threefold. This is the enzyme that the aminos are sent through to produce the neurotransmitters.

read this page

http://www.vitamindc...epression.shtml

#4 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:04 AM

Oh yes, I forgot Vitamin D. Good looking ortcloud! Make sure you supplement with vitamin D3 and not D2.

I take 2400IU a day currently. I may up it to 4000IU during the winter months. You don't need to get a test done. If you get a lot of sun exposure, you won't need as much vitamin D supplementation. If you don't get hardly an sun exposure, I'd take 2000IU to 4000IU of vitamin D3 daily. At a minimum, take 1000IU daily.

I don't think you need a test done. I've never heard of waiting until a vit d test is done before you take aminos. If that were the case, you better not consume protein.

#5 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:58 AM

exercise is a biggy... probably the most helpful thing for me. i find resistance training WAY more effective than cardio as far as keeping my mood in check.

i had some good success with rhodiola... but i believe it needs to be cycled. i took it for a little over a year every day, and it just stopped working. even after a 3 month wash out it has never worked the same for me.

ive had some success with st johns wort.. although i havnt taken it long enough yet to give a true assessment. some days its blah, some days i feel great... but my understanding is that you need to give it atleast 3-4 weeks before making an assessment on its efficacy.

vitamin D3 @ 1000iu makes me break out BAD... so i cant say how that works.

tyrosine has absolutely no effect on me whatsoever, even though the bravermen assessment i did says im severely dopamine deficient.

ive thought about trying SAMe. if anyone has some good info, or recommendations on brands.. that would be helpful. can you take st johns wort and SAMe together?

#6 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:13 AM

I took 400mg of SAM-e on empty stomach this morning. I definitely felt it. My mood was much better, talked more, and had more energy. I feel that it may have been a little too much though. I almost felt 'wired' in a different way. Tomorrow I'll do 200mg in morning around 7:00a.m. and 200mg around 2:00p.m.

Make sure they are enteric coated and in blister foil packs to stop degradation. I, unfortunately have the ones in a bottle right now. I ordered blister pack ones last night from iherb along with TMG and more methylB12.

#7 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:48 AM

what brand did you order?

#8 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:59 AM

Source Naturals, SAMe, 200 mg, 60 Tablets
Jarrow Formulas, TMG 500, 500 mg, 120 Easy-Solv Tablets
Now Foods, Brain B-12, 1000 mcg, 100 Lozenges

Those three will be working in synergy. lol

#9 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:54 PM

Make sure your "fish oil" is a high purity pharmaceutical quality high EPA variant supplying at least 1 gram of EPA/day. Studies on depression and bipolar disorder have found best results with at least 5 grams/day EPA, at least for the initial period.

#10 ortcloud

• 329 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:05 PM

sorry for the confusion luv2increase. I didnt mean to say you have to wait to get a test. I meant you should try vitamin d first or at least at the same time as the aminos, meaning. Dont just take aminos without addressing vitamin d deficiency.

#11 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 September 2007 - 02:50 AM

Vitamin D rapidly increases the in‑vitro genetic expression of tyrosine hydroxylase (the rate‑limiting enzyme for the catecholamine biosynthesis) by threefold. This is the enzyme that the aminos are sent through to produce the neurotransmitters.

on a whim (because of what you said) i took 2000IU of vitaminD this morning... and i'll be damned if i didnt feel really good today.

now i gotta figure out how to take high doses of vitamin D without breaking out like a 13 yr old...

#12 ortcloud

• 329 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:20 AM

Glad to hear it,

What kind of d3 are you taking, is it oil based softgel ? I am not sure why you are breaking out like that.

#13 hst1

• 39 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:21 AM

ajnast - are you taking the dry form of vitamin d? or is it in softgel? I struggle with acne and havn't had a problem with dry d. Everyone is different though.

#14 lauritta

• 44 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:38 AM

Just a suggestion....instead of using "deadstar", I would change my nickname to "brilliantstar" or "sparklystar".
How old are you? What are you studying? are you happy with what you are studying? what are your goals? Have you checked your thyroid levels? did you take enough complex B?
There are so many questions regarding this situation....what solutions or advices did your doctor give to you?
I just want you to know that anything you need, or anything you need to ask, we are here for you.
Cheers! :)

#15 brain

• 148 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:18 AM

I'm currently reading a book title Treating & Beating Anxiety and Depression with Orthomolecular Medicine by Dr. Rodger H. Murphree.  It is basically about finding out which neurotransmitter(s) deficiency is causing your depression and using amino acids and/or Sam-e, exercise, and adequate sleep among other things to correct the imbalance(s). 

He doesn't believe in prescription SSRIs or MAOIs for treating depression.  He thinks they can mainly be brought to normal levels using the amino acids which increase the levels of the depleted neurotransmitters. 

If you are low in GABA, take L-glutamine or GABA with juice.  If you are low in serotonin, take 5-HTP or L-tryptophan, if you are low in Dopamine take SAM-e, if you are low in norepinephrin take SAM-e. 

He is a big advocate of taking L-phenylalanine and DL-phenylalanine for everything except if you have a GABA deficiency.

I wouldn't take caffeine if I were you.  After you get your levels corrected, your energy and mood will come back. 

The main things are exercise, sleep, nutrition, multi-vitamin/mineral, adequate methylB12 and folic acid.

The 'correct' amino acids will supplement the above.  In the end, all 'should' be gravy. 

I think you owe it to yourself to try this route first before taking an SSRI and powerful dexedrine. 

Good luck!  Any questions, PM me.

because you also have ADD it would make sense that your depression may be in part caused by dopamine irregularities. from my understanding, giving more dopamine to an adhd patient won't help because the problem is not a deficiency but a processing issue. you either have low dopamine causing ADD, or ADD causing low dopamine. if its the second, dopamine precursors will not likely do you much good.

i have the same problems as the original poster, and for me caffeine (coffee in particular) has helped a lot. i personally don't see any problems with 1-2 cups daily, if there aren't any other stimuants being used...but im sure there are some objective downsides im not really considering. this is enough to win me over:

Like alcohol, nicotine, and antidepressants, caffeine readily crosses the blood brain barrier. Once in the brain, the principal mode of action of caffeine is as an antagonist of adenosine receptors found in the brain.[33] The caffeine molecule is structurally similar to adenosine, and binds to adenosine receptors on the surface of cells without activating them (an "antagonist" mechanism of action). Therefore, caffeine acts as a competitive inhibitor. The reduction in adenosine activity results in increased activity of the neurotransmitter dopamine, largely accounting for the stimulatory effects of caffeine. Caffeine can also increase levels of epinephrine/adrenaline,[34] possibly via a different mechanism. Acute usage of caffeine also increases levels of serotonin, causing positive changes in mood.

read this:
http://pharmrev.aspe...nt/full/51/1/83

if you were me, and had my chemistry (which not a lot of people do, i would imagine) this is what would and would not work:

DLPA did nothing. tyrosine also did not have a positive effect (and i believe i read a study about tyrosine actually decreasing brain concentrations of dopamine?) rhodiola worked for a few days, but also sent me up and down mood wise, and eventually made me crash. bacopa and gotu kola would give me brain fog. St johns wort gave me brain fog. sam-e did not work for me, but if you're going to try it be sure to take b6 with it to keep your homocysteine levels low. L-theanine gave me brain fog. im not sure if this is because of an increase in serotonin. i've also taken a lot of other stuff that hasn't worked. but this is my chemistry of course, and you should try them for yourself if you think they may work.

whats been most helpful for me, and what i'd reccomend as a solid adhd/depression regimen:

*B-complex, try and get one that is in a balanced ratio and does not have 50 MG of everything.

*B6, try and get 50% more than what the complex has in it.

*Multi mineral complex: calcium, iron, zinc, magnesium and copper deficiencies are all coorelated with adhd. Solaray "mega multi mineral" is excellent and fairly priced.

*magnesium citrate in addition to the multi-mineral, -oxide is not very bioavailable

*fish oil, 450MG - 900MG DHA daily, 650 - 1300 MG EPA (the first would be a typical dose, the second if you wanted to double up as you may be deficient since you have adhd. i buy nordic naturals brand, but its expensive and im sure something else would do fine. get one that is heavy metal free.
alp

*alpha lipoic acid, 100 - 200 mg daily. some say R-ALA is better, i have no say in the matter.

*ashwagandha, in the evening

* red panax, 1 vial, morning

*grape seed extract, jarrows formula, 100 mg in the morning. this is important if you have ADD.

*gingko biloba: 20 drops liquid extract up to 2 times daily. (fish oil, grape seed, panax ginseng, and gingko all thin the blood. its probably best two cycle them on different days.)

some general advice thats helped me: try removing wheat, gluten, soy, dairy, artificial dyes, preservatives, artificial flavorings, sugar, peanuts, almonds, fish, and eggs from your diet. the possibility exists that all of your problems are caused by a food allergy. eat green veggies daily. eat lots of protein, or if you're fat drink whey protein. get some intense cardio exercise with antioxidants pumping through your blood several times a week. don't sleep more than 8 - 10 hours, and don't sleep any less than 8 hours. and then an important question: would you still be depressed if your circumstance was different?

Edited by brain, 19 September 2007 - 08:30 AM.

#16 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:32 PM

Glad to hear it,

What kind of d3 are you taking, is it oil based softgel ? I am not sure why you are breaking out like that.

ajnast -  are you taking the dry form of vitamin d?  or is it in softgel?  I struggle with acne and havn't had a problem with dry d.  Everyone is different though.

it's dry. i've tried natural factors and dr. weil brand... ive tried again and again, the results are repeatable. i have NO IDEA why it would make me break out? sun exposure actually clears my skin...

the most i can take is 1000iu every OTHER day. would dosing 2 or 3000IU every other day (400iu on off days) achieve the same blood levels as daily dosing?

#17 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:26 PM

some general advice thats helped me: try removing wheat, gluten, soy, dairy, artificial dyes, preservatives, artificial flavorings, sugar, peanuts, almonds, fish, and eggs from your diet. the possibility exists that all of your problems are caused by a food allergy. eat green veggies daily. eat lots of protein, or if you're fat drink whey protein. get some intense cardio exercise with antioxidants pumping through your blood several times a week. don't sleep more than 8 - 10 hours, and don't sleep any less than 8 hours. and then an important question: would you still be depressed if your circumstance was different?

This is very very good advice. I just don't agree about the eggs. Also, whey protein is from dairy. You can get low lactose varieties though, I think. A little contradiction there.

I'm actually thinking about switching to brown rice protein only for my shakes. I know the amino acid profile isn't as good as whey protein but it is close. Egg protein would be preferable, but it is too expensive.

#18 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:29 PM

DLPA did nothing. tyrosine also did not have a positive effect (and i believe i read a study about tyrosine actually decreasing brain concentrations of dopamine?) rhodiola worked for a few days, but also sent me up and down mood wise, and eventually made me crash. bacopa and gotu kola would give me brain fog. St johns wort gave me brain fog. sam-e did not work for me, but if you're going to try it be sure to take b6 with it to keep your homocysteine levels low. L-theanine gave me brain fog. im not sure if this is because of an increase in serotonin. i've also taken a lot of other stuff that hasn't worked. but this is my chemistry of course, and you should try them for yourself if you think they may work.

While no treatment protocol is right for everyone, the person with a problem should try different venues of treatment. They should also give them time to kick in and take affect.

brain, how much time did you give the above a chance to work? Some of those things you listed aren't an overnight cure. They can takes weeks to work. Remember that.

• Lurker

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:01 PM

I'm currently reading a book title Treating & Beating Anxiety and Depression with Orthomolecular Medicine by Dr. Rodger H. Murphree.  It is basically about finding out which neurotransmitter(s) deficiency is causing your depression and using amino acids and/or Sam-e, exercise, and adequate sleep among other things to correct the imbalance(s). 

He doesn't believe in prescription SSRIs or MAOIs for treating depression.  He thinks they can mainly be brought to normal levels using the amino acids which increase the levels of the depleted neurotransmitters. 

If you are low in GABA, take L-glutamine or GABA with juice.  If you are low in serotonin, take 5-HTP or L-tryptophan, if you are low in Dopamine take SAM-e, if you are low in norepinephrin take SAM-e. 

I wouldn't take caffeine if I were you.  After you get your levels corrected, your energy and mood will come back. 

The 'correct' amino acids will supplement the above.  In the end, all 'should' be gravy. 

Good luck!  Any questions, PM me.

SAMe is not for catecholamines. It should be taken by high histamine types only, according to orthomolecular. SAMe or methionine helps to lower histamine levels.

Braveman worked with Pfeiffer many years ago but does not use an orthomolecular approach from my personal experience with him and reading his books. Orthomolecular will use both drugs and supplements if both are needed.

Deadstar, increasing serotonin levels is pretty straight foward with either 5htp or tyrptophan. I don't think drugs are necessary for increasing low serotonin levels. But, you must have enough niacin and vitamin b6 (both forms including the p-5-p form) to maintain good serotonin levels. The form of niacin you take will depend on your histamine levels. Below is a link I posted on how to test your histamine levels with nicotinic acid. High histamine types should avoid nicotinic acid and folate especially in the beginning when they are trying to lower their histamine levels. And low histamine types really need very high doses of naicin especially in the beginning or the loading phase.

http://www.imminst.o...hl=histamine&s=

Knowing your histamine levels will help you pinpoint the right b vitamins you need to take. Most of the b vitamins are important for brain chemistry. Orthomolecular uses megadose supplements to correct real nutritional dependencies. You don't start out taking really high doses but increase the doses over time.

Increasing your catecholamines can be a little more difficult than increasing serotonin levels. Getting both your dopamine (DA) and norepinephrine (NE) levels to where you want them may depend on how your body methylates, for one thing. Histamine is a good marker for how your body methylates; so, getting your histamine levels balanced can impact on your catecholamine levels in the long run.

It takes a good deal of research and a lot of patience to treat your depression, but it is possible.

#20 dannov

• 317 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:02 PM

I hate to say it, but ephedra will provide you with some intense energy and focus. The old-school 25mg is available at netnutri.com -- lipodrene and stimorex-ES (believe that's the name). It's not a dangerous herb, just don't OD (just like anything else in the world), follow the label, and drink lots of water as you should already be doing. That combined with a healthy diet, intense weight exercises (release endorphins and many other goodies that'll help you out), and a good, regular sleep pattern will fix you right up. :)

Oh, and stay away from the Emo music! Go get some Dragonforce or something. ;)

#21 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:28 PM

I hate to say it, but ephedra will provide you with some intense energy and focus.

worst advice ever

#22 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:45 PM

Nah! "Stay away from Emo music" is the worst! :)

#23 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:15 PM

Can one actually be tested for neurotransmitter levels?

Stephen

#24 deadstar711

• Topic Starter
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:23 PM

Just a suggestion....instead of using "deadstar", I would change my nickname to "brilliantstar" or "sparklystar".
How old are you? What are you studying? are you happy with what you are studying? what are your goals? Have you checked your thyroid levels? did you take enough complex B?
There are so many questions regarding this situation....what solutions or advices did your doctor give to you?
I just want you to know that anything you need, or anything you need to ask, we are here for you.
Cheers! :)

Well, deadstar has a reason that I would explain maybe through PM or email. So, I am 26, studying Psychology to hopefully become a Social Worker or Probation Officer (Juvenile). To be totally honest I am not sure at times if I am "happy" with what I am studying. That depends on how I am feeling and at the moment I am neutral. Mainly due to having an exam in the next hour that is going to suck. The professor of that course is supposedly highly-renowned for his research and the University I attend really doesn't care 90% of the students fail because he brings them the bacon.

Anyway, I have always had a strong interest in it, and to become a Social Worker or PO it is one of the education requirements. I sometimes wish I would've stayed in Biology as I did very well in all the courses I have taken in High School, Community College, and recently at UB (University at Buffalo). Hopefully I made the right choice. I just know I need something to support the overwhelming right-brain thought, feeling, perceiving, and sensing patterns I have.

Lastly, the solutions and advices the doctors have always given me are blatantly insipid. They do not understand no matter how many times I reiterate something. I am just tired of them trying to understand at this conceptual level. You cannot try to understand someone like that, that is inhuman. Thanks for your support and everyone else. I really appreciate it.

Peace it.

#25 deadstar711

• Topic Starter
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:29 PM

[quote]I hate to say it, but ephedra will provide you with some intense energy and focus. The old-school 25mg is available at netnutri.com -- lipodrene and stimorex-ES (believe that's the name). It's not a dangerous herb, just don't OD (just like anything else in the world), follow the label, and drink lots of water as you should already be doing. That combined with a healthy diet, intense weight exercises (release endorphins and many other goodies that'll help you out), and a good, regular sleep pattern will fix you right up. :)

Oh, and stay away from the Emo music! Go get some Dragonforce or something. ;)[/QUOTH

Ha, thanks for the advice of staying away from Emo music as I already do, but I gotta say no thanks to the ephedra advice. Talk about something making one feel like Tyrone the Crackhead, damn!! [lol]

#26 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:07 PM

Besides supplements and/or prescription meds, it is often very helpful to examine and work on your patterns of thought such as with Cognitive Behaivoral Therapy or Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) as started by Dr. John Kabat-Zinn at UMass. It is often our self-defeating thoughts that get us in trouble with depression. It has been shown that there is a much greater success rate at beating depression by those who use both meds and therapy.

Check out the Wikepedia entry on Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy

http://en.wikipedia....gnitive_Therapy

As someone who has taken and applied the 8 week general MBSR class, I highly recommend it to anyone to help you deal with life's ups and downs.
Google MBSR and look for a class near you......

[thumb]

#27 dannov

• 317 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:32 PM

lol Tyrone the Crackhead, comedic gold. ^_^ And ye, you're right. I never used the stuff consistently really, just when "needed" hehe.

#28 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:39 PM

orthomolecular, sam-e does have an indirect effect on catecholamines. If you're body is low on sam-e and/or you are a under-methylator, sam-e will bring you to balance thus creating a better catecholamine system, ultimately making you feel better.

Also, the information that you posted back in February about the histamine test with niacin, can you quote some sources for that test? One that shows the validity of it from an experiment.

#29 stargazer

• 76 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:05 PM

Dexedrine and SSRI sounds like a good idea. I would probably add some fishoil in the mix aswell and you should be set. I would NOT follow the other advices you've been told, do as your doctor say. Keep us posted regarding your recovery. Good luck.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

• Lurker

Posted 19 September 2007 - 09:20 PM

orthomolecular, sam-e does have an indirect effect on catecholamines.  If you're body is low on sam-e and/or you are a under-methylator, sam-e will bring you to balance thus creating a better catecholamine system, ultimately making you feel better.

Also,  the information that you posted back in February about the histamine test with niacin, can you quote some sources for that test?  One that shows the validity of it from an experiment.

SAMe would lower my histamine levels. Low histamine types should not take SAMe. SAMe is a supplement that only histadelics should take. It would have an indirect effect on them, but not those with histapenia. It does not have the same effect on everyone.

Why would anyone do an experiment on this test and publish the results? What would be the point of spending money to study this simple test? What other method would they use to confirm the results? There are references on the internet, but no clincial studies.

If someone were to try the test on themselves and then supplement the specific nutrients they need depending on their histamine levels and retest sometime later that would show a change in what dose that person will flush at (either higher or lower dose). (I can flush now from a much lower dose of nicotinic acid.) A change in the dose that causes a flush would show a change in their histamine levels over time from supplementing the right nutrients. You can do the experiment on yourself. (I can flush now from a much lower dose of nicotinic acid.)

http://digitalnaturo...at/T120657.html

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users