• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Aubrey is on my local radio station

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:37 PM

Aubrey is about to air on the Leonard Lopate show that I listen too often. He is about to explain how we can slow the aging process to the NYC general public on public radio. He is also there to promote his book, "Ending Aging".

http://www.wnyc.org/...odes/2007/09/18

Ending Aging

Will people in the future suffer mid-life crises at the age of 100? Many biologists believe that someday we will be able to substantially slow down the aging process, but Dr. Aubrey de Grey is perhaps the most bullish of all such researchers. Dr. de Grey believes that the biomedical technology – that may eliminate aging-derived debilitation and even death entirely – is now within reach. Ending Aging explains the process of aging, and how this biotechnology may reverse age-related decay.

Ending Aging is available for purchase at amazon.com

Weigh in: If you could dramatically slow down or even stop your aging process, would you do it?

Listen to it live at that site and later let's link the archived audio.

Also there is time to send in your comments to the show.

http://www.wnyc.org/.../segments/85674

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,090 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:43 PM

Thanks Laz!! Great News.

#3 Lazarus Long

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:48 PM

He is on live right now and I got the first comment on in a hurry. Now let's get some more comments that are more thought out before the fundies hit. If we frame the debate we can keep the high ground.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:54 PM

Hehe, no worries, Laz. Fundies don't listen to NPR when we've got Rush Limbaugh instead. :)

#5 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:55 PM

Just switched it on via the above link. Sounding great so far.

#6 Lazarus Long

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:11 PM

After the show is over in a few hours we will be able to link the entire segment. It can also be downloaded to a podcast from that site.

#7 Lazarus Long

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:13 PM

See trevor's response to my comment?

Posted by: Trevor September 18, 2007 - 12:54PM
LIC

Mortality is natural; its not an "obstacle". You can't overcome the second laws of thermodynamics, no matter how optimistic and positive you want to be.

Besides, its important that we live forever so we can kill one another in wars, exploit the labor of others, rape every natural resource we possibly can and believe humans are the center of the universe.

I WOULD NOT want to live indefinitely. Those who think they do should try thinking a little deeper about the life they already have in the present.

That is the *Fundamentalist* perspective

#8 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:21 PM

In the comments section for the show, there are already some people responding:
http://www.wnyc.org/.../segments/85675
(both positively and negatively)

#9 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,090 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:32 PM

Posted by: Trevor September 18, 2007 - 12:54PM
LIC

Mortality is natural; its not an "obstacle". You can't overcome the second laws of thermodynamics, no matter how optimistic and positive you want to be.

Besides, its important that we live forever so we can kill one another in wars, exploit the labor of others, rape every natural resource we possibly can and believe humans are the center of the universe.

I WOULD NOT want to live indefinitely. Those who think they do should try thinking a little deeper about the life they already have in the present.

That is the *Fundamentalist* perspective

Just goes to show that there are fundementalists on both sides of the political spectrum.

#10 Lazarus Long

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:36 PM

Actually are more positive than negative but how about a little intentional guidance of the conversation?
I have to leave and I would love to see us move the debate to more constructive dialog and dismiss the ones that are making the fundamental stereotype arguments.

#11 Lazarus Long

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:40 PM

Thanks for weighing in Mind. we got him over to the only the wealthy will benefit and even the boredom stereotype.

#12 Lazarus Long

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 05:57 PM

Great post Elrond. This is working, now let's see how this commentary progresses for while.

#13 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:50 PM

The audio is now available at the same link:
http://www.wnyc.org/.../segments/85675

at the bottom of the story, with the pause/play button.

#14 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:00 AM

Someone should contact Limbaugh and see if he'd interview de Grey :)

#15 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:00 AM

I've always believed that we need more *conservatives* on our side. Limbaugh, for example -- if he was a supporter of life extension, we'd suddenly have 20 million people on our side.

Only thing is, Limbaugh rarely interviews people on his radio program. He's usually a one-man show. The rare exceptions are people like Tony Snow, Newt Gingrich and the like. He won't be weighing in on life extension unless it becomes a political issue, so next time stem cells becomes a hot political topic, then we'd have a chance. Til then, we'll have to focus on others. (Sean Hannity would interview Aubrey long before Limbaugh would.)

#16 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:53 AM

Great dialog in the feedback section. Taking advantage of these web 2.0 debates is one of the most successful ways we can advance the meme. We should all make a point of posting links to these opportunities.

#17 Liquidus

• 446 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:13 PM

Someone should contact Limbaugh and see if he'd interview de Grey :)

I'm not sure de Grey would want his intelligence insulted that badly. Limbaugh has said some of the most asinine things I've ever heard from someone in the public domain, almost on the Ann Coulter asinine level.

http://www.cnn.com/2...10/02/limbaugh/

This was the start for me, being an avid sports fan.

#18 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:20 PM

Great dialog in the feedback section.  Taking advantage of these web 2.0 debates is one of the most successful ways we can advance the meme.  We should all make a point of posting links to these opportunities.

Plus, it is getting way more comments than any of the other segments (and presumably more hits) so perhaps that will indicate to the radio people that they need to do more segments of that nature.

#19 air90

• Guest, F@H
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 02:39 AM

He needs to get on the daily show/colbert report imo, I'm sure he could get on one of those.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users