Photo
- - - - -

Tanning

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 resveratrol

• 340 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:39 PM

I'm curious to get everyone's opinion on tanning.

No doubt, excessive tanning is terribly unhealthy and carcinogenic, whether done in sunlight or with a tanning bed. No argument there.

However, I basically get zero sunlight unless I use a tanning bed, which seems to be necessary in my case, since an utter lack of sunlight for a prolonged period seems causes all sorts of health problems.

For some time I've been tanning for <10 minutes 1-3 times per week in a low-intensity tanning bed -- enough to improve my complexion and my mood and get a certain minimum amount of UV but not nearly enough to get anything resembling a sunburn.

Can anyone quantify the differences between tanning and natural sunlight with respect to vitamin D production, long-term skin damage, and other longevity-related considerations?

Edited by resveratrol, 18 September 2007 - 10:29 PM.

#2 efosse

• 135 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:56 AM

Supplement with Vitamin D3, put on sunblock, and buy forskolin if you really want to have a tan without (I'd hope) any UV damage.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 September 2007 - 02:01 PM

im also interested in how tanning effects vitD production...

a nice cup of green tea an hour or so before you tan should take care of any worried about tanning damaging your skin.

#4 suspire

• 583 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:33 PM

Out of curiosity, why can't you go outside and get sunlight instead of use a tanning bed? I can't see too many situations where someone can't spend 30 minutes in the sun--maybe if you lived in Alaska and were limited in exposure to light for half the year, etc--but otherwise I'd say just make the arrangements to go outside.

#5 resveratrol

• Topic Starter
  • 340 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:41 PM

Out of curiosity, why can't you go outside and get sunlight instead of use a tanning bed? I can't see too many situations where someone can't spend 30 minutes in the sun--maybe if you lived in Alaska and were limited in exposure to light for half the year, etc--but otherwise I'd say just make the arrangements to go outside.

I prefer something where I can time exactly how much exposure I'm getting, and not have to deal with clouds, seasonal variations in temperature and sunlight intensity, and frequently nasty weather.

In central Texas, very large storms are surprisingly frequent, and there are times in the middle of summer where you really don't want to be out of air conditioning a moment longer than necessary, and the sunlight can be very intense. Similarly, there are several months in the winter where tanning outdoors really isn't an option.

Edited by resveratrol, 19 September 2007 - 04:17 PM.

#6 resveratrol

• Topic Starter
  • 340 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:46 PM

Supplement with Vitamin D3, put on sunblock, and buy forskolin if you really want to have a tan without (I'd hope) any UV damage.

Yes, I'm also taking D as a supplement (1000 IU daily), as well as a sunblock.

a nice cup of green tea an hour or so before you tan should take care of any worried about tanning damaging your skin.

Yes, I do drink green tea almost nonstop (4-10 cups per day in most cases), although I'm not sure I'm quite as convinced about its ability to counteract UV damage.

#7 Matt

• 2,865 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:55 PM

maybe use some extra virgin olive oil on your face after using the sun bed too.
http://news.bbc.co.u...alth/743514.stm

#8 resveratrol

• Topic Starter
  • 340 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:08 PM

maybe use some extra virgin olive oil on your face after using the sun bed too.
http://news.bbc.co.u...alth/743514.stm

Wow -- that's one I hadn't heard before!

I'm currently using LEF's Rejuvenex, which seems to be living up to LEF's hype so far.

I'm also loading up on turmeric which apparently inhibits melanoma cell growth, though I have no idea how effective it is when ingested as opposed to topical application (I was surprised to see how many folks on the net are apparently applying this topically; given how turmeric leaves yellow stains which are almost impossible to get out, I'm pretty sure that's not the "tan" I'm looking for ...)

#9 Matt

• 2,865 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:16 PM

Jean Calment used to use olive oil on her face everyday... thats where I got it from and been doing it for a while now lol.

#10 resveratrol

• Topic Starter
  • 340 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:20 PM

Wow, you're not kidding, either!

Thanks for the tip!

#11 jubai

• 130 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 04:06 AM

I'm in canada, so for 4 months or so winter is tough and we don't get much sun except on our face when walking around

Last year I started to tan too

Helped my complexion, mood and energy levels better than any dosage of vitamin D could

I have sensitive skin (slight rosacea) and tanning even seemed to HELP for that

At the place I go there are 4 levels (machines), the 4th beeing the standing-up toaster

Beginners should start at level 1 for 10 min, get to 20 min, and then switch to 2, etc.

I went 2 times a week for 6 minutes at level 1, putting a clothe on my face most of the time, and using lotion after

I fail to see how such low dosages could hurt my skin. In fact it seemed to help, better elasticity and tone.

The owner hates me now, and always tell me how I "don't look tanned" and should do the standard progression

I don't give a ****, I never change my timing of 6 min + cloth on face, and 20$ lasts me all winter

that "warm" feeling you get after feels REALLY good, especially since I get no redness and almost no tanning from these micro-sessions

I plan to start using it again this winter

If whole civilizations can live under the sun 8 hours a day all year, I'm sure my skin can take 12 min of low UV a week combined with green tea, UV creams and forskolin

And again, no amount of vitamin D gives me the mood and energy of these sessions (maybe it's the contrasts with our winters???)

Could micro-tanning be the next health-nut fad?

Edited by jubai, 21 September 2007 - 04:28 AM.

#12 tothepoint

• 58 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:57 AM

I read in Superfoods RX that tomato paste increases the skins SPF dramatically.

I've also heard about astaxanathin and skin protection but I don't have the sources to prove anything.

#13 electric buddha

• 76 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 08:23 PM

Have to mention I'm somewhat skeptical about that as well. I drink green tea from waking until night, use a supplement on top of that, and still burn very quickly on continued direct exposure to the sun. It might be helping somewhat, but if so, it'd be such a low percentage as to not be worth it.

#14 resveratrol

• Topic Starter
  • 340 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 12:33 AM

And again, no amount of vitamin D gives me the mood and energy of these sessions (maybe it's the contrasts with our winters???)

It was recently discovered that tanning releases endorphins -- see http://www.pubmedcen...i?artid=1513309

This would surely be the cause of the mood improvements you see from tanning, not the vitamin D.

#15 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:40 AM

I tan at least every other day, full body in a secluded full sun area of my yard. Usually 10 minutes, no more than 20. I want the health benefits without the skin damage... I also supplement with vitamin D. I do feel better on days that I tan, must be the endorphins ;)

#16 katzenjammer

• 292 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:25 PM

I'm in canada, so for 4 months or so winter is tough and we don't get much sun except on our face when walking around

Helped my complexion, mood and energy levels better than any dosage of vitamin D could

At the place I go there are 4 levels (machines), the 4th beeing the standing-up toaster

Beginners should start at level 1 for 10 min, get to 20 min, and then switch to 2, etc.

I went 2 times a week for 6 minutes at level 1, putting a clothe on my face most of the time, and using lotion after

I fail to see how such low dosages could hurt my skin. In fact it seemed to help, better elasticity and tone.

The owner hates me now, and always tell me how I "don't look tanned" and should do the standard progression

I don't give a ****, I never change my timing of 6 min + cloth on face, and 20$ lasts me all winter

that "warm" feeling you get after feels REALLY good, especially since I get no redness and almost no tanning from these micro-sessions

If whole civilizations can live under the sun 8 hours a day all year, I'm sure my skin can take 12 min of low UV a week combined with green tea, UV creams and forskolin

This is exactly what I do. I'm not surprised to hear about the endorphin release from UVA/UVB exposure elsewhere on this thread. It really does improve my mood. And although I can't prove it, UVA/B exposure seems to revv up my metab, and increase my testosterone production.

SO, on the other hand, I've been reading in Mercola's site about how 99% of commercial tanning beds use "Magnetic Ballasts" which supposedly emit "electromagnetic field rays" - he recommends either buying one of his (Hah, saw it coming didn't you?), or finding a commercial provider using a "digital ballast."

I really don't know WTF he's talking about. There are a lot of smart people around here who might be able to explain or debunk this for me.

Anyone care to unpack what he means??

~katz

#17 Centurion

• 1,000 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:30 PM

This is exactly what I do. I'm not surprised to hear about the endorphin release from UVA/UVB exposure elsewhere on this thread. It really does improve my mood. And although I can't prove it, UVA/B exposure seems to revv up my metab, and increase my testosterone production.

SO, on the other hand, I've been reading in Mercola's site about how 99% of commercial tanning beds use "Magnetic Ballasts" which supposedly emit "electromagnetic field rays" - he recommends either buying one of his (Hah, saw it coming didn't you?), or finding a commercial provider using a "digital ballast."

I really don't know WTF he's talking about. There are a lot of smart people around here who might be able to explain or debunk this for me.

Anyone care to unpack what he means??

~katz

In blatant defiance of all good sense, I am currently in Spain exposing myself to massive amounts of dangerous UV rays. Just taking the risk...

#18 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 06:32 PM

I tan at least every other day, full body in a secluded full sun area of my yard. Usually 10 minutes, no more than 20. I want the health benefits without the skin damage... I also supplement with vitamin D. I do feel better on days that I tan, must be the endorphins :|?

I don't think many posters would agree with you people exposing themselves to "reasonably anticipated carcinogen(s)" (sunlight) day in day out, if this thread was posted in the "skin health" section. Personally I think they're right, barring any paradoxical hormetic benefits that low exposure to carcinogens may have, taning is probably bad for skin-health.

#19 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:37 AM

For scientific tanning outside one should always check the UV index at your location from the Tropospheric Emission Monitoring Internet Service (TEMIS):

http://www.temis.nl/...on/UVindex.html

A month ago I did a couple of sessions, 20 minutes per side with no sunscreen at UV-index 7, seemed to work well for my skin-type with zero redness.

#20 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:53 PM

Its probably worth mentioning melanotan II to those who haven't read other tanning threads on here. Here is a 5 minute video clip which does a good job summarizing (before and afters are at the end of the clip):

I am very interested to see how forskolin turns out, but there hasn't been any news on it since 2006 (I belive the Dr is still working on it, but no publications).
The real trouble with both of these therapies (even though forskolin is applied as a cream to the skin) is that you don't want cAMP being activated in other parts of the body except for the skin.
After spending a fair amount of time reading everything, I decided that I'm not in a hurry to pull the trigger on either of these therapies. I'll opt for the very Caucasian look with the little tanning that I do being 10-15 minutes laying down in the sun. It will be nice once these therapies are more rigorously tested, forskolin especially.

#21 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:54 PM

Uh I dont think so.

#22 Barksdale

• 149 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:14 PM

Uh I dont think so.

lol haha I don't think so either..

Anyway, what effects does MT2 (Melonotan 2) have on aging? Short term side effects are weight loss, increased libido and maybe darkening of moles. However, no one really knows the long term side effects.

#23 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:47 PM

I also micro-tan, and I second the (subjective) effects on mood, metabolism, and libido.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users