Photo
- - - - -

L-Theanine in Green Tea (bags)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 adamb

• 10 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:45 PM

Recently, I gave L-Theanine (LEF) a try. 200 mg taken in the morning improved my concentraction, sharpened my focus and induced a state of relaxation. I really liked the effects.

Since I find the LEF supplement quite expensive and would like to benefit from the other compounds in Green Tea as well, I wonder whether switching to Green Tea bags might be an alternative.

Is it necessary to use powder in order to reap the benefits? How many cups of Green Tea (made by tea bags) would correspond roughly to 200 mg Suntheanine? Is this an acceptable amount?

Thanks in advance!

Adam

#2 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:14 AM

you can get suntheanine really cheap...

you couldn't get theanine in the same amount from green tea without huge amounts of caffeine.

iherb has NOW brand suntheanine, 200mg 60 caps for like 13$

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 adamb

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 08:54 AM

Thank you for your reply. Do you know the approximate ratio between caffeine and theanine in Sencha or Matcha?

#4 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:55 PM

Thank you for your reply. Do you know the approximate ratio between caffeine and theanine in Sencha or Matcha?

good quality matcha should have about 50mg of theanine per cup and 25 mg of caffeine... green tea is lower in theanine and higher in caffeine.
emphasis on good quality, not cheapy grocery store stuff... it would be much more economical to get your theanine from a supplement

#5 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:22 PM

funny you say that AJ because I have heard that most people use a 2:1 theanine to caffeine ratio to get increase mental vigelence and no stimulant from caffeine. Apparently the 2 parts theanine is enough to blunt the 1 part caffeine

#6 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:23 PM

It should be noted that steeping time and temperature can modify the amount of phenols and catechins in the brew. On top of this how many times you steep can also modify the amount

#7 chennai01

• 20 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:10 PM

I have a similar question about green tea and EGCG content. I drink about 10 cups of a sencha green tea (Flavia powder packets that are brewed in a machine) on weekdays and 14 cups of Costco's sencha (with match powder added) on the weekends (I let the tea bags sit for 10 minutes in the water before drinking).

I have also taken LEF's high dose green tea capsules (claim to have 326 mg of EGCG). I've noticed that my fibromyalgia and psoriatic arthritic symptoms are much more improved by a couple of cups of either of the sencha green teas vs. the high potency pills.

Can anyone explain this? Do these brews actually have a higher polyphenol/EGCG content? Are the polyphenols more absorbable in liquid form? Is the lightly caffeinated nature (only 18 mg) of the pills a factor?

#8 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:50 PM

zoo, yea i get NO stimulation from matcha.. but a decent amount from green tea. makes sense

catechin content can vary greatly between types of tea, methods of brewing, etc. if the tea itself works for you, stick with it. it may be something other than the catechins that is helping you.

doesnt a ten minute brew leave you with a bitter cup of tea? i believe after 2-3 minutes more of the tannin content is released. i usually brew my cup for no longer than 2 minutes, and the taste is SWEET and extremely enjoyable.

#9 chennai01

• 20 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:45 PM

zoo, yea i get NO stimulation from matcha.. but a decent amount from green tea. makes sense

catechin content can vary greatly between types of tea, methods of brewing, etc. if the tea itself works for you, stick with it. it may be something other than the catechins that is helping you.

doesnt a ten minute brew leave you with a bitter cup of tea? i believe after 2-3 minutes more of the tannin content is released. i usually brew my cup for no longer than 2 minutes, and the taste is SWEET and extremely enjoyable.

Definitely bitter, but then again I eat a very plain diet so its not a problem. The stronger caffeine, catechine, etc. effects are more than worth the bitter taste!

#10 stellar

• 366 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:35 PM

Why not buy Bulk Theanine powder from 1fast400 or beyondacenturyonline? I have 20g and it cost less than $10, IIRC.

#11 adamb

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:12 AM

stellar, how often do you use Theanine? Do you cycle it? Did you experience any differencesin effects between powder and other forms of Theanine?

#12 dehbleh

• Validating/Suspended
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 01:20 AM

In my opinion, Japanese Sencha is the most econmical way of getting all the green tea goodies at once. Japanese Matcha is also great f you can afford it. A warm beverage like green tea seems to speed up the absorbtion rate.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#13 graatch

• 390 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:49 AM

funny you say that AJ because I have heard that most people use a 2:1 theanine to caffeine ratio to get increase mental vigelence and no stimulant from caffeine. Apparently the 2 parts theanine is enough to blunt the 1 part caffeine

What's theanine's half-life?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users