• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

CBC "Living Forever: The Longevity Revolution"

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:59 PM

Hiya,

As some of you may know, I was involved in a documentary last November produced for CBC's "The Nature of Things". We completed filming in March and it was supposed to air in June but apparently they thought it was more appropriate to put it near the beginning of this season, a good sign I've been told. The documentary, entitled rather presumptuously, "Living Forever: The Longevity Revolution", will air NEXT week on Thursday here in Edmonton.

If you're interested in hearing about cutting-edge science and how it is transforming what it means to get 'old', have a look. The video clip looks decent.. (likely because I'm not in it.. ;) ).

http://www.cbc.ca/na...revolution.html

Edited by kevin, 12 October 2007 - 07:09 PM.

#2 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:42 PM

Ooh, looks interesting. Hopefully someone DVRs it and gets it up online for those of us without CBC.

#3 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:12 PM

I love the Nature of Things! David Suzuki, although I hear he's quite aloof in person, is still the man. I'm really looking forward to this - I don't own a DVR, LF! :(

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Liquidus

• 446 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:35 PM

Gotta love Canadian TV ;). I'm hoping that places like Canada can be at the forefront of the Longevity Revolution.

#5 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:52 PM

I'm hoping that places like Canada can be at the forefront of the Longevity Revolution.

http://www.edmontonagingsymposium.com/ You know it!

#6 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 11:36 PM

Good stuff kevin!

Just to be clear, Living Forever is not a documentary about 60-year-olds who want to look like young and sexy 25-year-olds.

heh. 25? I want to look and feel 17 forever.

I'm hoping that places like Canada can be at the forefront of the Longevity Revolution.

I'm guessing that some small unexpected country will end up being the medical tourist capital of the world based on their willingness to ignore the ethical considerations of performing anti-aging surgeries such as organ transplantations, immune system reboots and the like.

#7 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 11:52 PM

I'd be happy if Canada started cluing in to what is happening around the world in hotspots of rejuvenation medicine... .we're way behind.. but we do have resources and little more pragmatic view on things so perhaps we can make up lost ground..

Basically, the more we pump the message out into the ether, eventually the atmosphere is going to change.

#8 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 04:32 AM

Good golly, Kevin.

I really appreciate how you're such a PR dynamo

#9 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 04:36 PM

Hey Q,..

It actually took very little to get involved with the program. The producer was attending the AGE conference in Boston in 2006 where I met her and we got to talking and two months later she called me up asking me if I wanted to be part of the show. Right place, right time...

I guess the decisions I'm making reflect the conviction I feel that what is missing THE MOST is mainstream penetrating PR about the benefits of LE technologies, not just from a longevity POV, but from a health, function and economic POV. Getting these perspectives out there will go a long way to magnifying the importance of the breakthroughs which will otherwise moulder for lack of synergy.

I urge everyone to be non-stop marketers for this message and try to inform their friends about the optimism that they feel for the future. It will take a lot of smart people to bring it forward and avoid some of the more obvious pitfalls.

#10 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:07 PM

Hey Kevin!
Thanks for the interesting post once again! ;)
You guys are doing great job, wish I could be in the frontline with you sometimes :)
Well, university for me for now.. and ofc, spreading the word!

Death to death! ;)

#11 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:16 PM

winterbreeze...

... you ARE on the frontline..

... transmitting the meme is truly the most critical aspect of enacting such a transformation.. if you are doing that you are doing more than 99.9 % of the rest of the human race..

keep up the good work!

#12 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:13 PM

Why would you expect better? Totally predictable, pedestrian and ill-informed... not even a token attempt to look at the larger issues and obvious direction. The writer obviously has very little knowledge of what is going on..

http://www.theglobea...YLOR18&DENIED=1

===============================================
Documentary swallows too much at the fountain of youth

KATE TAYLOR
October 18, 2007

Tonight, The Nature of Things (CBC; 8 p.m.) offers you the tantalizing prospect of eternal youth - and some pretty immature journalism too.

In Living Forever: The Longevity Revolution, host Michael Rose tells us that humans have always sought immortality, and charts the progress of research aimed at lengthening the human lifespan. We meet scientists who have hugely increased the lifespan of worms by tinkering with their DNA and of mice by feeding them vitamins. We meet a doctor who can regrow a patient's cancerous jaw and another who can cultivate heart muscle in his lab.

It's heady stuff, but The Nature of Things does not ask why anyone would want to live past 100 or how society would cope with the massive demographic shift it predicts. Living Forever has got a bad case of not seeing the forest for the trees, and mixes serious laboratory science with futurists' grandiose predictions and some dubious private health schemes.

The show follows Kevin Perrott, a 43-year-old cancer survivor from Edmonton as he travels to Denver to visit a so-called longevity clinic, where he undergoes a battery of tests. Confusingly, Perrott then becomes a kind of witness/interviewer in the show, talking to the various researchers.

Meanwhile, host Rose, who according to the CBC website is a "charismatic gerontologist," tells us that his own groundbreaking research extending the life of fruit flies kick-started the field. If that's necessary information, maybe somebody else should be hosting.

The overall effect is to suggest that The Nature of Things is cheering for these developments, which is odd, considering how many troubling questions they raise. Who is going to pay for these improvements in medicine and who are they going to be available to? That longevity clinic in Denver, the Frontier Medical Institute, reeks of medicine-as-business: after much talk about stopping the aging process, apparently the only advice Perrott gets is to watch his cholesterol and his sugar intake.

In another scene, a doctor who is developing a technique for freezing kidneys asks him to imagine a world where he could simply book a transplant for a specific time and day. Great, but where will all these kidneys come from?

The claims that both Dr. Terry Grossman of the Frontier Medical Institute and the U.S. futurist and inventor Ray Kurzweil are allowed to make are even more inflated. The former predicts lifespans of 200 or 300 years; the latter suggests that we will soon be able to pick the biological age at which we want to remain.

Little shown here really backs that up: We see worthy medical research that is going to improve old people's quality of life by repairing and even replacing bones and organs, and we see the commonsensical techniques that are now available to younger people to encourage longevity, including "caloric reduction." Yup, eat less but eat better, and you'll lead a longer, healthier life.

Living Forever points out that in the 20th century, lifespans rose from an average of 49 to an average of 75 thanks to basic improvements in public health. Of course, if you asked any of us if we would like to reverse that progress and face death in what is now middle age, we would be appalled. This program forgets, however, that many Third World countries lag far behind. Meanwhile, the next 50-per-cent increase in lifespan looks like it is going to be based on very expensive improvements in what may remain private health.

Whether we like it or not, the longevity revolution is upon us, says Rose, promising us a future filled with millions of centenarians. It's ironic that statement is made so thoughtlessly on a program usually hosted by environmentalist David Suzuki. What is it all those extra centenarians are going to do, other than consume more fossil fuels?

================================================

Indeed.... what would all those extra centenarians going to do? Obviously, being that she is likely a feeling and loving person, she likely does not realize that she has just provided a perfect example of someone under the 'pro-aging trance' I mean... to off-handedly denigrate the value of entire swaths of humanity... my parent, your parents, PEOPLE.. is frankly unbelievable to those who think about what they're saying..

#13 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:48 PM

It's not lack of knowledge, it's the political leanings of the columnist that slant this particular review. There have been past discussions here about what people like Leon Kass have said about longevity, but frankly the nastiest responses to the idea of medicine actually allowing people to live longer come from the political left. In my experience, negative reactions from the right are cerebral, while ones from the left are visceral. There is something that really, really bothers egalitarians about longevity. I think perhaps it's the idea that a lifespan no greater than double digits is the last great equalizer, and it may soon be gone.

#14 bob_d

• 101 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:01 PM

Indeed.... what would all those extra centenarians going to do?

Obviously they'd join the "church of euthanasia" or "the voluntary human extinction movement" like we all should do!

1. What is the Church of Euthanasia?

The Church of Euthanasia is a non-profit educational foundation devoted to restoring balance between Humans and the remaining species on Earth. We believe this can only be accomplished by a massive voluntary population reduction, which will require a leap in Human consciousness to a new species awareness.

The Human population is increasing by one million every four days. This is a net increase of 95 million per year, the current population of Mexico. Even major wars or epidemics hardly dent this rate of growth, and modern wars also have tremendous environmental consequences. It is for these practical reasons, as well as moral ones, that we support only voluntary forms of population reduction.

The Church has only one commandment, and it is "Thou Shalt Not Procreate." In addition, we have four "pillars" or principles, which are Suicide, Abortion, Cannibalism and Sodomy.

Note that cannibalism is only required for those who insist on eating flesh, and is strictly limited to consumption of the already dead. Also note that sodomy is defined as any sexual act not intended for procreation: fellatio, cunnilingus, and anal sex are all forms of sodomy and are still illegal in some parts of the United States.

If this text didn't convince you to keep as much people from living as possible, the "gaia liberation front" explains better whats wrong with mankind as a whole and why it has to be extinct:

4. Because of the uncertainties involved, we can ensure Gaia's survival only through the extinction of the Humans as a species.

Q. But don't you believe in the interconnectedness and inherent worth of everything in nature?

A. Yes, but the Humans have disconnected themselves from everything else in nature, so that principle no longer applies to them. Anyway, there's no way to preserve a species that's programmed to kill the planet. The only question is whether that species can become extinct before it takes the planet with it.

Q. Wouldn't it be enough to reduce the Human population to some optimum level?

A. No, because the first chance it got it would bounce right back. The cancer analogy is useful here: what's the optimum number of cancer cells in a body?

So dear imminsters now that you all know what to do: Grab a gun and go out kill someone! If you don't have one at hand set your neighbors house on fire and then hang yourself!

#15 bob_d

• 101 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:08 PM

There is something that really, really bothers egalitarians about longevity. I think perhaps it's the idea that a lifespan no greater than double digits is the last great equalizer, and it may soon be gone.

which is in fact kind of funny since an indefinite lifespan allows you to do whatever you want since no matter what parents' house you come from the impact of the circumstances you began your life on your personal outcomes like education or job will fade away pretty soon in comparison to your lifespan. in the end you can screw your life up as often as you want to and the worst thing to happen is that you'll have to start again at another place with another job.

#16 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:09 PM

Ask the journalist what she's doing to help reduce the fossil fuel concerns and third world poverty. Ask her why she doesn't donate more.

I betting that she's intending to donate more to charity once she's more established and older.

I'd predict that with increasing (predictable) longevity, charity donations will go up. That's what's going to spread longevity

#17 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:14 AM

The program was great. Kevin had lots of air time and did a great job, coming off as very intelligent and with a good sense of humour. I made my parents watch as I'm there tonight, they were both impressed for being what I consider to be fairly bioconservative.

Sorry to say I don't have any way of putting it online as I'm a luddite with PVRs and all that jazz. Hopefully it'll pop up online...I'll keep an eye out.

Great job Kevin [thumb]

#18 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:33 AM

Are people allowed to put it on video.google?

edit: http://video.google....10&so=0&start=0

looks like Nature of Things can go on there. And I just learned that yahoo.video and myspace.vids are picked up on video.google now.

#19 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,095 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:58 AM

That longevity clinic in Denver, the Frontier Medical Institute, reeks of medicine-as-business

As far as I am aware, every doctor in the world gets paid, and every hospital makes money in some form or another (through profits or taxes). Nothing is really "free". It is all 'business'.

#20 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:47 AM

FWIW... I sent this in.. we'll see if they print it..

======================================================
To the Editor,

As a participant in the documentary “Living Forever: The Longevity Revolution” on David Suzuki’s “The Nature of Things” on the CBC network, it was with great interest that I read a review on the program by your Arts columnist, Kate Taylor.

To be sure, given the content of the program and where the concept of ‘aging’ sits in the heart of western civilization, I am unsurprised at the negative impression she received from the program, but I find it personally gratifying that nothing of what she wrote was of much substance and really simply indicated her own bias. Still, our culture and society hold progress in high esteem and in the name of such forward motion I feel compelled to describe a different perspective than that written in the thoughts of Ms Taylor.

To start, Ms Taylor seems at a loss as to why anyone would want to live past 100. I’m not sure about Ms Taylor, but 100 years isn’t enough for me to accomplish everything I want to do or see. For certain, just the little pleasures in life would be enough for me to wake up and be 100 years-old-and-a-day. There is always another book to read, embrace with a loved one, sunset to see, piano to play, planet to explore and belly laugh to share amongst innumerable other moments and precious activities that make life worth living. I’m surprised that as an accomplished writer this simple answer is opaque to Ms Taylor.

Ms Taylor muses how society would cope with the massive demographic shift of having many more people living a century or more. Firstly, as these therapies would effectively cure many age-related diseases, turning them from expensive chronic conditions to acute and preventative syndromes, the 80% of our health care dollar spent dealing with the degenerative diseases of old age would be dramatically reduced, freeing billions of dollars of capital. I would refer Ms Taylor to some serious, high-profile gerontologists in the U.S. who have proposed a “Longevity Dividend” (S. Jay Olshansky et al.) who are urging congress to allocate funds to slow aging showing that even a tiny decrease in the rate of aging would result in tremendous economic shifts to the good. Secondly, there are of course many sociological consequences of having healthy supercentenarians in our midst. Many more grandparents would live to be great-grandparents which would obviously bolster the sense of family continuity. Many more healthy consumers would bolster the economy. Many more healthy individuals, who have lived through the hormone-ridden decisions of youth to arrive at the ‘been there done that’ period of senior citizenship, would find themselves able to offer their experience to mentor upcoming generations from the perspective of hale and hearty bodies rather than the invisibility of cowering in the shadows of the institutions they currently inhabit.

How indeed would society cope with a generation of individuals who have lived a century or more? Perhaps our world may achieve a more ‘mature’ perspective and many perennial problems which have escaped solution may be approached from a different direction with the attitudes of altruism and cooperation we find more prevalent at advanced ages. For a small taste of what one might expect in spades from healthy supercentenarians, have a look at CivicVentures.Org Ms Taylor and perhaps you might envision a different world than one where the elderly simply take up space.

Given that Ms Taylor is not a scientist, nor does her bio list any training in science, it is perhaps understandable that her treatment of the facts and feasibility behind the technologies discussed in the program is superficial at best. The disinterest and lack of understanding of the subject matter is exemplified when she asks the question “Where will all these kidney’s come from?” with reference to the segment of the program dealing with cryobiology. She doesn’t even bother to mention his name when she refers to Dr. Greg Fahy where he describes the technology for freezing organs for use in later life as they are required. Her question as to where the ‘kidneys’ would come from indicates that she never heard/understood a word of most of his interview. Dr. Fahy clearly says that such organs would be tissue-engineered from a patient’s own cells, something which has already seen success in Anthony Atala’s work at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center where he grew the first organ, a bladder, outside the body and transplanted it to help a child lead a more normal life. There are plenty more well publicized examples of promising tissue-engineering technology. It is likely that many have not heard of the rapid progress in the use of printing technology to actually ‘print’ solid organs, but a look at the work of Gabor Forgacs of the University of Missouri in ‘bioprinting’ with ‘bioink’ might be an interesting read. (New Scientist, April 13, 2006)

Ms Taylor does bring up one very important point; that of the potential disparity in the availability of these therapies. However, is such potential disparity in availability really an argument against development? Is the fact that we can’t share with the Third World a reason to forgo the development of valuable medical technologies for people suffering today? It would seem that the problems are not related in the least. I don’t think distribution problems have much to do with ethical questions of developing technologies that will eventually benefit billions of people. If we followed the logic that therapies should not be available to any unless they are available to all, therapies would never be developed. Restricting the development and availability of therapies will result in exactly the effect that Ms Taylor fears, the wealthy will access such technologies in countries that do not have such issues through medical tourism while the situation for the poor remains unchanged at home or is worse. Developing the therapies at home and making them accessible as quickly as possible to as many as possible is what we should be shooting for, not restricting access and forgoing development.

I was somewhat taken aback by Ms Taylor referring to the program as an example of “immature journalism” when actually her own story exemplifies a remarkable lack of interest in wanting to delve any deeper into the background than is needed to satisfy her own closed-minded preconceptions of what the value of the elderly is. She ultimately willfully blinds herself to the fact that old people suffering from age-related disease in need of therapies are PEOPLE, loving and beloved, parents and grandparents, individuals who have contributed to her well-being and the world. Off-hand remarks such as

"What is it all those extra centenarians are going to do, other than consume more fossil fuels?"

indicate that she has obviously not thought things through, or about how abysmally unethical it is to talk about PEOPLE as if they have nothing to offer when they reach old age. Such a viewpoint is sadly endemic in our society, and changing such a viewpoint is one welcome consequence that would result from having many healthy oldsters around a century or more.

Finally, Ms Taylor berates Dr. Suzuki for featuring a program where more people suffer less and live longer than previous generations, intimating that the focus of environmentalism would be ill-served by having yet more healthy elderly people on the planet. She completely ignores the fact that the elderly are the ones whose perspective is most valuable in the preservation of the environment as they have seen the changes wrought by years of empire building by the relatively young. If people knew they would live to be centuries old, perhaps they may think twice about making decisions which foist onto future generations the environmental fallout from their greed and poor stewardship. Dr. Suzuki is right on the money in suspecting that older individuals would care substantively more than those who we know from past experience care little.

Sadly, the attitude expressed by Ms Taylor is all too prevalent in a society that glorifies youth and denigrates the elderly. As is the case however, the young soon enough grow old and will experience the motivation necessary to work for changes that will create a world where getting older is truly something that enriches, rather than diminishes, the individual and society. If we all work together, we will avoid the worst pitfalls and bring about such a day all the sooner.

#21 eyu100

• 9 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 04:00 PM

FWIW... I sent this in.. we'll see if they print it..

======================================================
To the Editor,

As a participant in the documentary “Living Forever: The Longevity Revolution” on David Suzuki’s “The Nature of Things” on the CBC network, it was with great interest that I read a review on the program by your Arts columnist, Kate Taylor. 

To be sure, given the content of the program and where the concept of ‘aging’ sits in the heart of western civilization, I am unsurprised at the negative impression she received from the program, but I find it personally gratifying that nothing of what she wrote was of much substance and really simply indicated her own bias.  Still, our culture and society hold progress in high esteem and in the name of such forward motion I feel compelled to describe a different perspective than that written in the thoughts of Ms Taylor.

To start, Ms Taylor seems at a loss as to why anyone would want to live past 100.  I’m not sure about Ms Taylor, but 100 years isn’t enough for me to accomplish everything I want to do or see.  For certain, just the little pleasures in life would be enough for me to wake up and be 100 years-old-and-a-day.  There is always another book to read, embrace with a loved one, sunset to see, piano to play, planet to explore and belly laugh to share amongst innumerable other moments and precious activities that make life worth living.  I’m surprised that as an accomplished writer this simple answer is opaque to Ms Taylor.   

Ms Taylor muses how society would cope with the massive demographic shift of having many more people living a century or more.  Firstly, as these therapies would effectively cure many age-related diseases, turning them from expensive chronic conditions to acute and preventative syndromes, the 80% of our health care dollar spent dealing with the degenerative diseases of old age would be dramatically reduced, freeing billions of dollars of capital.  I would refer Ms Taylor to some serious, high-profile gerontologists in the U.S. who have proposed a “Longevity Dividend” (S. Jay Olshansky et al.) who are urging congress to allocate funds to slow aging showing that even a tiny decrease in the rate of aging would result in tremendous economic shifts to the good.    Secondly, there are of course many sociological consequences of having healthy supercentenarians in our midst.  Many more grandparents would live to be great-grandparents which would obviously bolster the sense of family continuity.  Many more healthy consumers would bolster the economy.  Many more healthy individuals, who have lived through the hormone-ridden decisions of youth to arrive at the ‘been there done that’ period of senior citizenship, would find themselves able to offer their experience to mentor upcoming generations from the perspective of hale and hearty bodies rather than the invisibility of cowering in the shadows of the institutions they currently inhabit. 

How indeed would society cope with a generation of individuals who have lived a century or more?  Perhaps our world may achieve a more ‘mature’ perspective and many perennial problems which have escaped solution may be approached from a different direction with the attitudes of altruism and cooperation we find more prevalent at advanced ages. For a small taste of what one might expect in spades from healthy supercentenarians, have a look at CivicVentures.Org Ms Taylor and perhaps you might envision a different world than one where the elderly simply take up space.

Given that Ms Taylor is not a scientist, nor does her bio list any training in science, it is perhaps understandable that her treatment of the facts and feasibility behind the technologies discussed in the program is superficial at best.  The disinterest and lack of understanding of the subject matter is exemplified when she asks the question “Where will all these kidney’s come from?” with reference to the segment of the program dealing with cryobiology.  She doesn’t even bother to mention his name when she refers to Dr. Greg Fahy where he describes the technology for freezing organs for use in later life as they are required.  Her question as to where the ‘kidneys’ would come from indicates that she never heard/understood a word of most of his interview.  Dr. Fahy clearly says that such organs would be tissue-engineered from a patient’s own cells, something which has already seen success in Anthony Atala’s work at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center where he grew the first organ, a bladder, outside the body and transplanted it to help a child lead a more normal life.  There are plenty more well publicized examples of promising tissue-engineering technology.  It is likely that many have not heard of the rapid progress in the use of printing technology to actually ‘print’ solid organs, but a look at the work of Gabor Forgacs of the University of Missouri in ‘bioprinting’ with ‘bioink’ might be an interesting read. (New Scientist, April 13, 2006)

Ms Taylor does bring up one very important point; that of the potential disparity in the availability of these therapies.  However, is such potential disparity in availability really an argument against development?  Is the fact that we can’t share with the Third World a reason to forgo the development of valuable medical technologies for people suffering today?  It would seem that the problems are not related in the least.  I don’t think distribution problems have much to do with ethical questions of developing technologies that will eventually benefit billions of people.  If we followed the logic that therapies should not be available to any unless they are available to all, therapies would never be developed.  Restricting the development and availability of therapies will result in exactly the effect that Ms Taylor fears, the wealthy will access such technologies in countries that do not have such issues through medical tourism while the situation for the poor remains unchanged at home or is worse.  Developing the therapies at home and making them accessible as quickly as possible to as many as possible is what we should be shooting for, not restricting access and forgoing development. 

I was somewhat taken aback by Ms Taylor referring to the program as an example of “immature journalism” when actually her own story exemplifies a remarkable lack of interest in wanting to delve any deeper into the background than is needed to satisfy her own closed-minded preconceptions of what the value of the elderly is. She ultimately willfully blinds herself to the fact that old people suffering from age-related disease in need of therapies are PEOPLE, loving and beloved, parents and grandparents, individuals who have contributed to her well-being and the world.  Off-hand remarks such as

"What is it all those extra centenarians are going to do, other than consume more fossil fuels?"

indicate that she has obviously not thought things through, or about how abysmally unethical it is to talk about PEOPLE as if they have nothing to offer when they reach old age.  Such a viewpoint is sadly endemic in our society, and changing such a viewpoint is one welcome consequence that would result from having many healthy oldsters around a century or more.

Finally, Ms Taylor berates Dr. Suzuki for featuring a program where more people suffer less and live longer than previous generations, intimating that the focus of environmentalism would be ill-served by having yet more healthy elderly people on the planet.  She completely ignores the fact that the elderly are the ones whose perspective is most valuable in the preservation of the environment as they have seen the changes wrought by years of empire building by the relatively young.  If people knew they would live to be centuries old, perhaps they may think twice about making decisions which foist onto future generations the environmental fallout from their greed and poor stewardship. Dr. Suzuki is right on the money in suspecting that older individuals would care substantively more than those who we know from past experience care little.

Sadly, the attitude expressed by Ms Taylor is all too prevalent in a society that glorifies youth and denigrates the elderly.  As is the case however,  the young soon enough grow old and will experience the motivation necessary to  work for changes that will create a world where getting older is truly something that  enriches, rather than diminishes, the individual and society.  If we all work together, we will avoid the worst pitfalls and bring about such a day all the sooner.

This was posted on Fight Aging! today.

#22 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:30 PM

thanks for the heads-up...

At least if they don't print it, it will get some online time..

KP

#23 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 October 2007 - 08:09 PM

Anyone found this uploaded on the net yet???

#24 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:52 PM

I will be receiving a recording sometime soon but haven't seen any recordings uploaded as yet..

#25 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:16 AM

It's repeating next week on the 'other' CBC channel.

#26 kevin

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 02:58 AM

It's repeating next week on the 'other' CBC channel.

excellent.. ;) I should set up to record it.. what channel is that Q?

KP

#27 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:14 PM

I think that would be location-specific. I get two CBC channels. The 'main' one is the peasant-vision one. That's what it showed on last week.

It's the 'other' CBC. The one that's mostly news. (sudden intuitive flash) ... It's probably the CBC news channel.

#28 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:13 AM

Yes, extra karma points to whomever posts it!

#29 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:16 AM

Yes, I'm almost peeing myself with excitement ;)

#30 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:23 AM

Yes, I'm almost peeing myself with excitement ;)

Someone get a mop.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users