- - - - -

Troubles with firefox

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,079 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:49 PM

IE 7 stopped working on my laptop (microsoft software of course....it sucks)

So I installed firefox and it works ok, except for the fact that the imminst menus across the top (the horizontal bar) do not show up. The menu list with "Active Topics", "Projects", "Search" etc. Does anyone have an idea why this would be. I imagine it is something simple, but I can't figure it out.

#2 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:09 PM

I have had this before. It appears to be a script problem. Make sure that you are allowing java scripts. I've done a bit of troubleshooting to try and solve this problem and when I block java scripting the menus seem to disappear. When I allow java scipting the menus reappear.

#3 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:10 PM

additionally you can play around with the firefox add-ons. A particular add on may be causing the problem. Simply disable the add on and refresh the page and see if the menus appear

#4 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:35 PM

For what it's worth, I occasionally use FF without problems. Javascript and Java enabled.

#5 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:39 PM

You can also try Opera, another open source browser, if you cant get things working.

#6 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,079 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:42 PM

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I disabled javascripting and re-enabled it and now Imminst displays properly. Funny how software bugs happen like that.

#7 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,079 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:44 PM

And now 2 seconds later it stopped working...lol

#8 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:46 PM

Well, there seems to be something fishy with the site as well. Although very rare, the same thing happens with IE sometimes.

Another browser to look out for is Safari, especially if you like the look and feel of Mac stuff. But the windows version still has some nasty bugs the last time I tried.

#9 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:47 PM

If for some reason you have java-script disabled, as I do, then perhaps you can set up 2 firefox browsers. One that is set up for java scripting and the other with java scipting blocked.

Of course it a lot safer to block java scripting but it can be a little annoying having to switch it on and off all the time. You can always install a firefox script called quick java that allows you quick control over java scripting in the toolbar.

#10 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:48 PM

And now 2 seconds later it stopped working...lol

If you havent done a reboot since IE crashed, I would do it to make sure nothing is interfering.

#11 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,079 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:17 PM

I downloaded and installed opera and now I can get the menus again.

Microsoft sucks big time. The problem is that IE is integrated with Vista. Once IE is corrupt, the only way to fix it is by restoring the hard drive/ re-installing Vista, which means losing all configurations and downloads. Did I mention how much microsoft software sucks.

#12 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:30 PM

Microsoft sucks

all the more reasons to use open-source software. Either that or just don't fork out your hard earned cash for it

#13 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:17 AM

If for some reason you have java-script disabled, as I do, then perhaps you can set up 2 firefox browsers. One that is set up for java scripting and the other with java scipting blocked.

Of course it a lot safer to block java scripting but it can be a little annoying having to switch it on and off all the time. You can always install a firefox script called quick java that allows you quick control over java scripting in the toolbar.

Or just use the NoScript Firefox plugin like I do, and you can enable it for sites that you know are secure to get them to display properly. Otherwise I have it blocked as well. (allowed for imminst, of course)

http://noscript.net/

#14 eldar

• 178 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:25 AM

As it seems many people with firefox are having this problem, perhaps something should be done to the site coding?
I use the site a lot so I know there are links at the bottom of the page also(and/or drag the window around, in which case the navigation bar shows up again [:o] ), but new people browsing in might not see them, which could result in them leaving the site. I reckon this is not what we want.

I'm actually surprised no-one has suggested changing the code. It really shouldn't be required for users to tweak/change their browsers to display the site properly. [glasses]

And no, enabling javascript does not help, so that's not the issue here.(never had it disabled in the first place)

#15 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:13 AM

I have been using FireFox for a long time now. The only add-ons that I use are FasterFox (I recommend it) and Chatzilla. Other than that, its just the default install and options. Never had any display issues in Windows XP or Ubuntu. I do prefer Ubuntu though for most stuff, but I use Windows XP more often since it is installed on my laptop.

#16 Grail

• Guest, F@H
  • 252 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:05 AM

I have the same problem with firefox. If you maximise or restore the window, then a redraw occurs, and the menus show up. this does not solve the root of the problem though...

#17 basho

• 774 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:21 PM

Looking at the webpage source, it appears AllWebMenus is being used. The product website mentions the latest version is now ok with Vista and has full cross-browser support. It may be worth investigating an upgrade if the latest version is not already being used.

Regarding FireFox, lots of people are using it now, so it is definately worthwhile testing the ImmInst site to ensure pages are displayed as expected. And I'd expect Safari on the Mac would be quite popular too.

#18 zader

• 15 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 01:35 PM

I hate firefox.

#19 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:18 PM

I hate firefox.

I hate IE more

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users