- - - - -

SSRI's

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 08:03 PM

It's my belief that taking SSRI's for OCD and depression may work well but it causes me to have significant memory loss? Does anyone have any advice for someone who wants to keep his mind fit but does'nt want to deal with the OCD?

#2 celindra

• 43 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 08:42 PM

Actually, I noticed the opposite while I was taking SSRIs. My memory was never better, and I was twice as productive as normal.

Go figure.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 patrick

• 37 posts

Posted 19 September 2003 - 09:23 PM

SSRIs have never caused memory problems for me. When I start them, I get moody for about a week to ten days, so who knows during that period, but afterwards, no significant problems. The only side effect I have noticed is delayed orgasm.

I take 70 mg / day sertraline. 50 is ineffective; so is 100. Perhaps a dosage change could help you as well.

#4 jpars82

• 104 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 September 2003 - 03:40 AM

I had the same problem when I took any SSRI's. My memory was poor and mind was foggy. I'd look into taking something that effects GABA and not Serotonin for your OCD.

#5 shpongled

• 176 posts

Posted 20 September 2003 - 01:09 PM

Which SSRI are you taking? Antidepressants can have very differential effects. See my earlier post about wellbutrin + zoloft which improves memory. Effexor, an SNRI also can be said to have nootropic effects.

For OCD I would look into psychedelic therapy with mushrooms. It is very difficult (if not impossible) finding a psychiatrist willing to participate in this but it can be done under the supervision of even a close friend if you do plenty of reading beforehand.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 05:13 AM

Inositol appears to be effective in OCD.

Review the studies http://www.ncbi.nlm....imits&DB=PubMed

Edited by LifeMirage, 30 September 2003 - 12:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users