- - - - -

How toxic is Dextromethorphan?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tarbtl

• 96 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:49 PM

Hey guys,

I occasionally take Dexedrine for inattentive ADD and it helps immensly, however even with sparce usage I have developped tolerance fairly quickly. The only thing I have found to reverse this tolerance is DXM (found this on the bluelight forum).

I'm taking the regular cough-suppresive dosage in the form of the Benylin syrup. I've heard reports of long-term brain damage from DXM. At this extremely low-dose, should I be concerned? I mean I'm already taking tons of nootropics and being "stupider" is the last thing in the world I'd want.

Thanks.

#2 rabagley

• 215 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:43 PM

It's not clear that you can get enough DXM through your digestive tract to cause Olney's Lesions. They had to inject rats with it to get enough in their systems. Most of the other known effects from DXM are related to frequent recreational usage, which is an amount 10-40x what you're taking per dose (200-400mg instead of 10-20mg).

But if you're still worried, ask the doctor who prescribed Dexedrine for you. (S)he'll know as much as we do about Dexedrine and DXM and (s)he'll hopefully know you even better.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 graatch

• 390 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:21 PM

Check your body temp.

#4 graatch

• 390 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:23 PM

>But if you're still worried, ask the doctor who prescribed Dexedrine for you. (S)he'll know as much as we do about Dexedrine and DXM and (s)he'll hopefully know you even better.

Are you joking? If I had ever told any of the doctors that gave me psychostimulants I was using cough medicine to offset tolerance, I would lose both a psychostimulant and a doctor.

The idea of NMDA antagonism possibly combating one mechanism of tolerance is probably not something they focus on in medical school, so much, so no reason the doctor would know more than us unless they happened to be interested.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 fast turtle

• 73 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:53 PM

Not toxic, at all. In the studies with rats they fed them oral amounts that were absurdly high (hundreds of times what you're talking about) and while some rats died because of the behavioural effects, autopsy revealed no actual perceivable neurotoxicity. In fact, NMDA antagonists have been investigated for the longest time as neuroprotectives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users