LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

Is World War 3 Soon Coming?

money as debt world war

• Please log in to reply
308 replies to this topic

Poll: Is World War 3 soon coming? (199 member(s) have cast votes)

Is World War 3 soon coming?

1. Yes (63 votes [32.47%])

Percentage of vote: 32.47%

2. No (131 votes [67.53%])

Percentage of vote: 67.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 February 2022 - 09:56 PM

Have you heard Stoltenberg today? I have and that's why I am changing my vote to yes.

Looks like this time Anglo-Saxons have surpassed themselves. They finally managed to pit the Slavs against each other -- and are already making popcorn! (having armed one side of the conflict they had crafted to the teeth). I bet in the end of the brawl they'll pounce on and enslave whatever's left. Poor Slavs have been duped again. 

Ma che bravi questi'inglesi! 

Edited by xEva, 25 February 2022 - 10:02 PM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#242 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 February 2022 - 11:50 PM

Yeah, hard to believe but Putin the Smartest has been duped. Alas. He should have paid more attention to the PR aspect of it. Oh well.

But what's of the rest of us? I've been musing about the many similarities between our time and the beginning of the 20th century. A new cycle, the same old crap. With minor variations: a pandemic, brewing world war, a society on another continent swept away by a new ideology. 

I think at fault is human inability to see how our well-intended actions and words create  a mindless construct with a will its own. Set into motion and revved up, there is no stopping it. And funny how, no matter what an ideology professes, the method of achieving the ultimate justness is always the same. Its universal attractiveness lies in its simplicity: identify whoever is at fault and make them change or make them disappear. 

History is repeating itself. Today, just like 100 years ago, no one wants war, and yet everyone, reluctantly, is being dragged into it. And really, after all that posturing, after all that has been said and done, is there turning back? Who will blink first?

Edited by xEva, 26 February 2022 - 12:08 AM.

#243 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 March 2022 - 01:48 AM

Professor John Mearsheimer: The situation in Russia an Ukraine.

And if you hear it till the end, amazing that even he did not see it coming. This was recorded on Feb 15 and posted on Feb 21. 

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. [] To go ad-free join as a Member.

#244 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 07 March 2022 - 07:47 PM

#245 Bike_to_120

• Registrant
  • 39 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 March 2022 - 09:02 PM

shocking that this thread was started in 2007!

#246 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 12:23 AM

I have to wonder if Putin has COVID induced brain damage. 

SARS-CoV-2 is associated with changes in brain structure in UK Biobank

Abstract

There is strong evidence for brain-related abnormalities in COVID-191–13. It remains unknown however whether the impact of SARS-CoV-2 infection can be detected in milder cases, and whether this can reveal possible mechanisms contributing to brain pathology. Here, we investigated brain changes in 785 UK Biobank participants (aged 51–81) imaged twice, including 401 cases who tested positive for infection with SARS-CoV-2 between their two scans, with 141 days on average separating their diagnosis and second scan, and 384 controls. The availability of pre-infection imaging data reduces the likelihood of pre-existing risk factors being misinterpreted as disease effects. We identified significant longitudinal effects when comparing the two groups, including: (i) greater reduction in grey matter thickness and tissue-contrast in the orbitofrontal cortex and parahippocampal gyrus, (ii) greater changes in markers of tissue damage in regions functionally-connected to the primary olfactory cortex, and (iii) greater reduction in global brain size. The infected participants also showed on average larger cognitive decline between the two timepoints. Importantly, these imaging and cognitive longitudinal effects were still seen after excluding the 15 cases who had been hospitalised. These mainly limbic brain imaging results may be the in vivo hallmarks of a degenerative spread of the disease via olfactory pathways, of neuroinflammatory events, or of the loss of sensory input due to anosmia. Whether this deleterious impact can be partially reversed, or whether these effects will persist in the long term, remains to be investigated with additional follow up.

https://www.nature.c...586-022-04569-5

Edited by geo12the, 08 March 2022 - 12:24 AM.

• Good Point x 2

#247 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 March 2022 - 01:40 AM

'Wars not diminishing': Putin's iconic 2007 Munich speech (FULL VIDEO)

#248 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 08 March 2022 - 02:05 AM

'Wars not diminishing': Putin's iconic 2007 Munich speech (FULL VIDEO)

So you are actually a fan of Putin? 

Edited by geo12the, 08 March 2022 - 02:06 AM.

• like x 3
  • Unfriendly x 1

#249 Hip

• 2,387 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 12:55 AM

Professor John Mearsheimer: The situation in Russia an Ukraine.

And if you hear it till the end, amazing that even he did not see it coming. This was recorded on Feb 15 and posted on Feb 21. 

I agree with Prof Mearsheimer. I recommend watching his 2015 video: Why is Ukraine the West's Fault? starting at timecode 25:11, as that's when Mearsheimer really gets to the point (he's a great speaker).

I always thought it was a mistake for the US to interfere in the Ukrainian 2014 elections, to install a Western-aligned government, and oust the Russian-aligned president Yanukovych (evidence of meddling here). This happened under Obama.

For the West to try to make the Ukraine more Western, for the West to aim to eventually bring the Ukraine into NATO, is analogous to the circumstances when the Soviets tried to install nuclear missiles in Cuba, back during JFK's presidency. Very understandably, the US was never going to accept Soviet nukes located in its own backyard; similarly, it's obvious that Russia will not accept NATO missiles or military bases in its home territory.

So that's why the interference in the 2014 elections was a mistake, and a very aggressive provocation against Russia.

Mearsheimer makes an important point: the Ukraine is of little strategic military importance to the West, but it is strategically important to the Russians. Mearsheimer says we should have used tact and diplomacy with Russia, agreeing that the Ukraine should remain neutral, and never join NATO. That would have made the Ukraine much more secure, and would have avoided this inevitable war. 

At the moment, the Russians are saying that the war in the Ukraine can stop as soon as the West and the Ukraine agrees to Russia's terms, which includes that the Ukraine will never join NATO. But the West are not interested in a diplomatic solution. And Western governments don't really care about loss of life that occurs in a war, because the West has the power to stop this war tomorrow, but they do not.

Of course, in 2003 the US/UK coalition killed 500,000 Iraqis merely for oil security. Which just shows what sort of mass killing we are capable of if our own security is threatened.

It's rather hypocritical of the Western media to portray Putin as evil, when Bush and Blair slaughtered far more innocent civilians in Iraq. 

I am not saying the Iraq invasion was wrong or right. Sometimes you have to go to war to protect your nation's security. But Putin, who is also acting to protect his country's security, has a long way to go before he can match the death toll inflicted by the West in Iraq.

Edited by Hip, 09 March 2022 - 01:00 AM.

• Disagree x 5
  • Agree x 1

#250 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 05:43 AM

Of course, in 2003 the US/UK coalition killed 500,000 Iraqis merely for oil security. Which just shows what sort of mass killing we are capable of if our own security is threatened.

It's rather hypocritical of the Western media to portray Putin as evil, when Bush and Blair slaughtered far more innocent civilians in Iraq. 

I am not saying the Iraq invasion was wrong or right. Sometimes you have to go to war to protect your nation's security. But Putin, who is also acting to protect his country's security, has a long way to go before he can match the death toll inflicted by the West in Iraq.

I was completely against the Iraq war. It was a stupid mistake. But I don't agree that Putin is "acting to protect his country's security". Just because at one time in history there was an entity known as the Soviet Union, does that mean all of the former countries that were part of that entity must always be subservient to Russia or must somehow behave in a way that does not deviate from Russia's perceived "sphere of influence"?  I think the people that inhabit those countries deserve a say in their destiny. This is not about Russia's security. It's about grievances Putin has about the fall of the Soviet Union and insecurities about slights and perceived Russian stature in the world.  He is pummeling Ukraine and killing people for no good reason. He wants them to "bend the knee". Why should they? The former Soviet Republics controlled by Putin's strongmen are backwater countries.  Why should Ukraine be destroyed because it does not want to share that fate? Why should Ukraine be destroyed for charting it's own destiny? 

• Agree x 3
  • Well Written x 1
  • unsure x 1

#251 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 March 2022 - 10:49 PM

Hey guys, you're being late for the party. Have you heard Blinking today? 

WW3 aka  War on Putin has officially been declared.

All there's left to do is to pray it does not come to an A bomb. Though of course historically, economic wars often lead to hot conflicts.

Anybody cares to make a wager for the outcome? What about long / short term developments?

• Pointless, Timewasting x 3

#252 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 03:42 AM

Hey guys, you're being late for the party. Have you heard Blinking today?
WW3 aka War on Putin has officially been declared.

All there's left to do is to pray it does not come to an A bomb. Though of course historically, economic wars often lead to hot conflicts.

Anybody cares to make a wager for the outcome? What about long / short term developments?

You can come on here and praise Putin but in Russia dissent is being crushed. Even calling the war a war can land you in prison. I can't fathom how any good human being can be a fan of this insecure maniac currently slaughtering innocent humans in Ukraine. It's all about Putin's insecurities and wanting revenge for the fall of the USSR. Tons of innocents will be slaughtered because of the deranged evil maniac you praise.
  • Agree x 3
  • Unfriendly x 1

#253 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 March 2022 - 05:32 AM

lol look what I found

Attached File  St.George_jpeg.jpg   905.91KB   1 downloads

Edited by xEva, 10 March 2022 - 05:59 AM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 3

#254 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 07:07 PM

I agree with Prof Mearsheimer. I recommend watching his 2015 video: Why is Ukraine the West's Fault? starting at timecode 25:11, as that's when Mearsheimer really gets to the point (he's a great speaker).

https://www.youtube....QAGOS4&t=25m11s

I always thought it was a mistake for the US to interfere in the Ukrainian 2014 elections, to install a Western-aligned government, and oust the Russian-aligned president Yanukovych (evidence of meddling here). This happened under Obama.

For the West to try to make the Ukraine more Western, for the West to aim to eventually bring the Ukraine into NATO, is analogous to the circumstances when the Soviets tried to install nuclear missiles in Cuba, back during JFK's presidency. Very understandably, the US was never going to accept Soviet nukes located in its own backyard; similarly, it's obvious that Russia will not accept NATO missiles or military bases in its home territory.

So that's why the interference in the 2014 elections was a mistake, and a very aggressive provocation against Russia.

Mearsheimer makes an important point: the Ukraine is of little strategic military importance to the West, but it is strategically important to the Russians. Mearsheimer says we should have used tact and diplomacy with Russia, agreeing that the Ukraine should remain neutral, and never join NATO.

There was an interesting editorial in this mornings NYtimes by Ross Douthat that dissects Mearsheimers predictions:

https://www.nytimes....asion-west.html

Excert:

"Yes, realists like Mearsheimer predicted some kind of conflict over Ukraine. But realism’s predictions still did not describe reality, for three reasons. First, the predictions imagined a defensive logic to Russian strategic conduct, oriented around the protection of a sphere of influence, a fear of encirclement by NATO. But the decision to invade seems to have been motivated more by Putin’s professed and very personal desire to restore a mystical vision of greater Russia — a grand ideological idea that the mere Western pledge not to admit Ukraine to NATO was unlikely to appease.

Second, the realist predictions underestimated the agency and strength of Ukrainians themselves, treating Russia’s near abroad as a landscape where only great-power force projection really mattered, ignoring Ukraine’s potential capacity — now demonstrated on the battlefield — to resist Russia and rally global support even without direct military support from the United States or NATO.

Finally, the realist predictions drained the moral dimension out of global politics, effectively legitimizing imperialist appetites and “blaming the victim,” as it were, when the moral responsibility for aggression ultimately rests with the aggressor, not with nations merely seeking self-determination or mutual defense."
  • Agree x 2
  • unsure x 1

#255 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 07:20 PM

Most of my life I have naively thought the human race had evolved past the horrors of Hitler, Stalin, Mao etc. But in my 50th decade on earth those illusions disappeared. Watching people on the US indoctrinated by a narcissistic malevolent leader to believe a free election was stolen because their team lost and wanting to throw away our democracy. Now we have a malevolent autocrat obliterating any vestige of free press and freedom of thought in Russia and obliterating the identity of a people and country because of past grievances and insecurities. And people defending that man. I guess this post might be labeled as "unfriendly", but I think it's "unfriendly" to the human race to embrace a mass murderer.
  • Agree x 3
  • Disagree x 1

#256 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 March 2022 - 08:34 PM

Let's see what popular culture says.

Russel Brand

You’ve Been LIED To About Why Ukraine War Began

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Informative x 1

#257 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 09:41 PM

Let's see what popular culture says.

Russel Brand You’ve Been LIED To About Why Ukraine War Began

https://www.youtube....MVcrvtqqs&t=62s

But Hunter Biden! Really? LOL
No matter what the Putin apologists say it does detract from the fact that the world is united against this murdering vile excuse for a human being.
  • Unfriendly x 2
  • Agree x 1

#258 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 March 2022 - 03:15 AM

Oh look!
 lol
there is another version of the supposedly pointless image above

called
    #PutinsWarOnSanctions

Attached File  PutinsWarOnSanctions.png   1.75MB   0 downloads

Edited by xEva, 11 March 2022 - 03:48 AM.

• dislike x 2
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#259 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 05:03 PM

I wonder to what extent news algorithms played a role in bringing about the current war in the Ukraine? Will we ever know? News sites, YouTube, social media all use artificial intelligence (AI) to feed people news and information that reinforces their already held views. Even reputable news sources now use these algorithms. Sometimes extreme views and false beliefs are reinforced. In the US we have seen the stupid red-blue polarization and conspiratorial thinking that these algorithms have nurtured. Imagine Vladimir Putin, isolated by the COVID pandemic, sitting in front of his computer(s) in his AI generated news and information filter bubble. Did computer algorithms reinforce his most paranoid beliefs and lead him to take us where we are now? AI may very well start WW3. To anyone reading this, are you in an AI generated news bubble that just reinforces your views and prevents you from challenging your own beliefs? Many people are these days. Step out of that bubble once in a while. In Russia now the entire country is ensconced in a news bubble generated not by AI but by the Kremlin. Putin’s delusional beliefs are the only ones allowed. If you even call the war a war you can go to jail. But some are brave enough to pierce the fog of propaganda and speak truth to lies. Marina Ovsyannikova is one such person. From an article in the Guardian:

“Marina Ovsyannikova, an editor at Channel One, burst on to the set of the live broadcast of the nightly news on Monday evening, shouting: “Stop the war. No to war.”

She also held a sign saying: “Don’t believe the propaganda. They’re lying to you here.” It was signed in English: “Russians against the war.””

We need more Marina Ovsyannikovas these days and fewer people stewing in their news bubbles and supporting murdering dictators and believing crazy things that reinforce their worldviews.  Do you live in reality? Or AI generated reality manufactured to make you feel superior? 

Edited by geo12the, 20 March 2022 - 05:04 PM.

• Good Point x 1
  • like x 1

#260 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 March 2022 - 10:58 PM

Democracy Now
“Russia & China, Together at Last”: Historian Al McCoy Predicts Ukraine War to Birth New World Order

President Biden reportedly warned Chinese President Xi Jinping via video call Friday that China would face “consequences” if it provided material support to Russia amid the war in Ukraine.

The call was part of U.S. efforts to minimize an emerging Sino-Russian alliance, which threatens U.S. influence over the Eurasian landmass, says Alfred McCoy, professor of history at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

As U.S. global power declines, China and Russia “are going to emerge as the new centers of global power on the planet,” he adds.

Edited by xEva, 21 March 2022 - 11:25 PM.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Informative x 1

#261 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 March 2022 - 09:27 PM

CGTN

How far are we from the internationalization of Chinese yuan?

#262 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 22 March 2022 - 09:58 PM

The US is in decline while China is rising. The Biden admin, which is essentially neocon and thus has world empire as a goal, sees China as the biggest threat to US hegemony. The resurgent Russia was a lesser threat, and cutting them out economically was the warm up, with one threat being dealt with at a time. The real battle will occur later this year, with Taiwan being the sacrificial goat to get it going, just as Ukraine was sacrificed in Europe.

• unsure x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#263 Galaxyshock

• 1,466 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 05:36 PM

The history of human race is really a history of wars - and it doesn't seem to be about to stop.

• like x 1

#264 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 06:37 PM

The history of human race is really a history of wars - and it doesn't seem to be about to stop.

That's definitely one side of human nature.

On the other hand, humans make Sistine Chapels, Moonlight Sonatas, Mona Lisas, land on the Moon, etc.

We are not wholly good or evil. That is our nature.

• like x 1

#265 Galaxyshock

• 1,466 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 09:55 AM

That's definitely one side of human nature.

On the other hand, humans make Sistine Chapels, Moonlight Sonatas, Mona Lisas, land on the Moon, etc.

We are not wholly good or evil. That is our nature.

True, humans are cabable of creating great things - and destroying them. New technology seems to follow military inventions as in when they invent something, the first thought is, can it be used as a weapon.

There's a war in Europe again, which can escalate to a larger conflict. But right now I try remain optimistic, all wars eventually end.

Finland is a new member of NATO, I hope the membership ratification process of Sweden also gets through soon.

#266 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 02:26 PM

True, humans are cabable of creating great things - and destroying them. New technology seems to follow military inventions as in when they invent something, the first thought is, can it be used as a weapon.

There's a war in Europe again, which can escalate to a larger conflict. But right now I try remain optimistic, all wars eventually end.

Finland is a new member of NATO, I hope the membership ratification process of Sweden also gets through soon.

Well if it's any consolation, I don't think this is going to escalate into a larger conflict.

Mr. Putin has his hands quite full with Ukraine right now and is spread very thin. He simply doesn't have the resources to open up a war with another country at the moment. Were he to open up another front I suspect that he'd find himself on the receiving end of an unfortunate accident. Historically there's been a lot of court intrigue at the Kremlin over this sort of thing.

• like x 1

#267 Galaxyshock

• 1,466 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 03:43 PM

Well if it's any consolation, I don't think this is going to escalate into a larger conflict.

Mr. Putin has his hands quite full with Ukraine right now and is spread very thin. He simply doesn't have the resources to open up a war with another country at the moment. Were he to open up another front I suspect that he'd find himself on the receiving end of an unfortunate accident. Historically there's been a lot of court intrigue at the Kremlin over this sort of thing.

You're probably right. But what does concern me is the fact that Russia has more nuclear weapons than whole NATO combined, and is planning to place some tactical ones to Belarus. I haven't been following the news very closely though so don't know what the exact situation is right now.

#268 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 03:55 PM

You're probably right. But what does concern me is the fact that Russia has more nuclear weapons than whole NATO combined, and is planning to place some tactical ones to Belarus. I haven't been following the news very closely though so don't know what the exact situation is right now.

Well the thing is, if Putin were to give the order to initiate a nuclear strike - there's a whole chain of command that has to carry out that order. It's not like he has a button in his desk drawer that he can push and launch the missiles.

And there are some decent indications that that order might not be carried out. Back in the Soviet era there was an army officer that refused to carry out his orders to alert his chain of command about a potential nuclear strike from the US. Their early warning satellites were very buggy and mistook a sun glint off the water as a missile launch from the US.  That guy saw the launch warning and ignored it. He may have saved the world.

Anyone in the chain of command between Putin and those missiles has to know that they are likely starting WWIII. And that if the whole world isn't outright destroyed that Russia is going to be on the losing end of that deal. They aren't going to be in a hurry to see their own family and friends incinerated and they have to know that if anything is left standing there will be Nuremberg style war crime trials that they are likely going to have to stand for.  

I really don't see this going that route. I think Putin would be taken out by players in the Kremlin if he were to give such an order. None of that top echelon wants to be around for the end of the world.

#269 Galaxyshock

• 1,466 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 04:21 PM

Well the thing is, if Putin were to give the order to initiate a nuclear strike - there's a whole chain of command that has to carry out that order. It's not like he has a button in his desk drawer that he can push and launch the missiles.

And there are some decent indications that that order might not be carried out. Back in the Soviet era there was an army officer that refused to carry out his orders to alert his chain of command about a potential nuclear strike from the US. Their early warning satellites were very buggy and mistook a sun glint off the water as a missile launch from the US.  That guy saw the launch warning and ignored it. He may have saved the world.

Anyone in the chain of command between Putin and those missiles has to know that they are likely starting WWIII. And that if the whole world isn't outright destroyed that Russia is going to be on the losing end of that deal. They aren't going to be in a hurry to see their own family and friends incinerated and they have to know that if anything is left standing there will be Nuremberg style war crime trials that they are likely going to have to stand for.  

I really don't see this going that route. I think Putin would be taken out by players in the Kremlin if he were to give such an order. None of that top echelon wants to be around for the end of the world.

I guess my fears are getting far-fetched. Thanks for clearing that up. It's just living in the neighbouring country of Russia and the history and all, sometimes the mind starts racing with nightmarish scenarios.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. [] To go ad-free join as a Member.

#270 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 06:15 PM

Finland definitely has a history with Russia. But you guys gave them so much trouble in 1939 I really doubt they want a second helping of that in addition to the trouble that Ukraine is giving them.

It really would be great if Putin was deposed soon, one way or the other.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: money as debt, world war

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)