The best shave

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#31 jackinbox

• 452 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 12:13 AM

One of the most recommended electric shaver:
http://www2.panasoni...000000000005702

You can get the model without the automatic cleaner (useless) at half the price at BestBuy.

It's what I use why I don't really need a perfect shave. It's probably as good as an electric shaver can be. If I want a closer shave, I use a Schick Xtreme3. I throw it away after 3 shaves.

#32 porthose

• 107 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:58 AM

i have the same issue as sentinel, thick facial hair but mine grows in every direction. previously using blades including cutthroats felt like my face had been butchered.

anyway i kept up with the electric and i wont go back to a blade.

what this thread demonstrates is how different everyones face/skin/hair is and what suits one might not suit another.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:32 AM

I shave with a big military knife and axle grease...

...out in the middle of the woods...

...after I just killed a bear...

...with my bare hands...

Beat that.

#34 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:05 AM

That's nothing, I shave the bear with the knife (blunt) and then kill it - with my breath.

#35 zoolander

• Topic Starter
  • 4,724 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:25 AM

I just watched the following 3 videos related to getting the best shave. They're a bit on the corny side but I found them to be very useful

I'm finding it hard to draw the direction of the grain in which my beard grows.

Here are the videos anyway

#36 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:52 AM

Those were pretty good, zoo. Thanks for sharing. It appears that for anyone interested in a straight razor, that there are a bunch of videos dealing with how to shave with one, how to sharpen one, etc. out there on YouTube/Google Vids/etc.

#37 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:58 AM

I use an electric shaver as I always had issue with cutting myself with manual razors.

The one concern I do have though is that electric motors generate electromagnetic energy.
Having a source of EME so close to your face may be having an effect on the enzymes, proteins and nucleotides within the skin cells.

#38 liorrh

• Guest, F@H
  • 388 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 12:02 PM

regarding applying cream post shave, what's the reasoning to cold water ebfore cream? so it won't mess up your pores?

#39 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 05:27 PM

regarding applying cream post shave, what's the reasoning to cold water ebfore cream? so it won't mess up your pores?

I always heard hot water before/during shave and cold water after shave. Not sure why.

Edited by shepard, 23 November 2007 - 02:52 AM.

#40 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:09 PM

The one good thing is that the razor I have has lasted 20 years. Lately it seems like the motor is slowing down but I still get a decent shave. It was a good investment.

that's an understatement. 20 freakin years?

what brand was that?

Norelco.

#41 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:33 AM

How does a good straight razor compare to the best of the modern multi-blade units? If you spend three or four hundred dollars on the blade and all the sharpening stuff and other goodies, you could buy a new multi every week for a very long time for the same money.

#42 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:37 AM

I've had a straight razor shave at old-school barbers before, it's quite a different feel than multi-blade razors. You can still use a safety razor and swap over to the type in the picture that I posted earlier and get a better shave. But, it still doesn't get to the same combination of smoothness and lack of irritation that I remember from a good straight razor shave.

Edit: Spelling error

Edited by shepard, 15 November 2007 - 02:36 PM.

#43 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:21 AM

Wow, I've never even thought about this before (so well marketed to have I been). I noticed that I seem to never get a close shave, and my face is always irritated after shaving though. I just dealt with it. I might have to give wetshaving a try, and see if that improves things for me.

#44 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:42 AM

Just watch out for the jugular vein and carotid artery while you are trying it out, Aegist. Don't want you bleeding to death or anything.

#45 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 03:44 AM

I might have to give wetshaving a try, and see if that improves things for me.

You've been shaving with a blade, dry? Yikes! Try a Gillette Fusion (five blades) with a decent shaving gel. I was impressed. Close shave, no cuts, no irritation. It was really a leap beyond the double or triple bladed systems I'd been using. Hard to beat for closeness and comfort. For convenience, I'm really liking my Braun electric.

#46 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 03:57 AM

No, i don't do it dry, but i haven't been 'Wetshaving' which is the technique where you use the lathered brush and all that jazz.

I usually shave while I'm in the shower (much easier to clean up that way) with a 3 bladed gillette Mach 3 and some of the Gillette "shaving cream in a can".

its funny, I'm really not very hairy at all, so I actually can't really grow a beard if i tried, but I still have to put up with shaving at least every second day (if I want to be presentable) because otherwise I get randomly scattered stubble all over my face.

#47 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:13 AM

On the way to dinner when I was younger, I once ran into a gas station to get my dad some of those regular blue Gillette razors that come in packs of 5 or 10 for a couple of dollars. I watched him take one out of the packet and shave dry while driving to the restaurant. This was after being at the beach with a couple of days worth of growth.

We'll never be as tough as our fathers.
  • Well Written x 1

#48 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:22 AM

On the way to dinner when I was younger, I once ran into a gas station to get my dad some of those regular blue Gillette razors that come in packs of 5 or 10 for a couple of dollars. I watched him take one out of the packet and shave dry while driving to the restaurant. This was after being at the beach with a couple of days worth of growth.

We'll never be as tough as our fathers.

LOL.

Well, I was in the army for a few years, and in the army you *MUST* shave every day, and that includes when you are in the bush, with no hot water, and no time..... (and having not showered for a week or two, and with cam cream all over your face)

#49 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:46 AM

No, i don't do it dry, but i haven't been 'Wetshaving' which is the technique where you use the lathered brush and all that jazz.

I usually shave while I'm in the shower (much easier to clean up that way) with a 3 bladed gillette Mach 3 and some of the Gillette "shaving cream in a can".

its funny, I'm really not very hairy at all, so I actually can't really grow a beard if i tried, but I still have to put up with shaving at least every second day (if I want to be presentable) because otherwise I get randomly scattered stubble all over my face.

I also have a rather light beard.

I try to keep things simple...because who has the time for a half hour shave when you're rushing out in the morning? Schick Quattro, warm water, generic shaving cream, Gillette After Shave Gel and (of crucial importance) religiously change the blade every two weeks.

I very rarely suffer from nics or razor burn, which is nice, but if I had the option I would probably endure a little bit of suffering for a chance at some decent side-burns. ;)

#50 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:50 AM

I would probably endure a little bit of suffering for a chance at some decent side-burns. ;)

Oh man, I used to have some killer chops a few years ago.

Edited by shepard, 23 November 2007 - 02:53 AM.

#51 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:59 AM

I can grow everything but sideburns. It's always been pretty thin there. Looks pretty funny when I grow it all out.

#52 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:18 AM

I could grow a beard like Rasputin if I wanted too.

#53 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:25 AM

I try to keep things simple...because who has the time for a half hour shave when you're rushing out in the morning?

My shave takes about 3 minutes ;)

#54 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:35 AM

Yeah Justin, but you're also a freakin ninja. [";)]

#55 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 05:39 AM

My shave takes about 3 minutes ;)

You must not be doing the full ritual. On the "how to" videos I have seen, it takes a few minutes just to get the lather worked up properly with one of those badger hair brushes/cups with the "good" foam stuff.

Edited by shepard, 23 November 2007 - 02:53 AM.

#56 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:41 PM

if I'm in a hurry I'll just use aveeno. I'm not much of one for ritual for ritual's sake. Sure it's nice to do the whole shebang, but Don's right, the time doing that is time I could be spending sleeping ;))

#57 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:55 PM

I personally couldn't testify to these particular products, but they look like other plausible options. [Edit: Actually they're bunk after all. See posts below.]

1. Infinity Razor
"The Infinity Razor lasts a lifetime. Never buy replacement blades again. Infinity is the most durable razor, shaves kissably smooth, and gives a close shave each shave -- guaranteed. If your Infinity Razor ever feels dull, simply call for a free replacement infinity razor.

The Infinity Razor uses carbon injected steel technology to create blades so sharp they never get dull. Carbon injected steel is fused with tungsten carbide to create the sharpest shaving experience available. Perfect shaves for men and women. The closest shaves with razor blades so sharp they last a lifetime. Close shaves, durable blades, lifetime shaving, infinite shaves, free replacement blades, giving kissably smooth shaves each time."

2. Finally Free
"Finally Free is an incredible new PERMANENT hair removal system that painlessly and permanently removes unwanted hair from anywhere on your face or body.

Using patented radio frequency technology - Finally Free kills your hair at the root - by sending a cool dry wave through the hair and destroying it's ability to regrow. This incredible system works on BOTH Stubborn individual hairs and WHOLE Sections of Unwanted hair.

This patented technology is unique to Finally Free, beware of imitators whose systems are not proven or effective. Finally Free is clinically proven as effective as electrolysis without the pain, redness or scarring."

Edited by eirenicon, 16 November 2007 - 08:38 PM.

#58 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:03 PM

infinity razor is a complete scam.

#59 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:14 PM

Indeed. I should've checked this page of reviews first. Here's a very negative one for the other, also.

Oh well.

#60 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:30 AM

I go long periods with having sideburns of various length and fatness, and that complicates shaving greatly - having to work around it, trim them differently, not having them all puffy and "mutton chop" like. Shaving is difficult and time consuming, imo. Once I had a beard...women I know seemed to be split 50/50 pro/con, my GF didn't like it...I had it for a couple months. Itchy, but fun.

I swear, I shave differently every time and have used all kinds of terrible razors. Reading this thread makes me want to try a straight razor but I know it'll be like inviting suicide (literally). I need to hang with Elrond and pick up some ninja skills. [thumb]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users