Photo
- - - - -

Facial Peel

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wootwoot

• 112 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:39 PM

Where can I get glycolic acid to perform an at home facial peel for a good price?

#2 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:52 AM

I would just consider using a glycolic acid cleanser to start with. Start with a low % glycolic acid. Something in the range of 8-10% and once your skin gets used to this bump it up a little. To say 15%. Then once your skin is used to that you could even try q 20% concentration. I would be careful though and remember that it's an acid that you will be using. I'm not really fond of home peel at high concentrations. I have considered it in the past but do not think I will be going down that road

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 05:14 AM

Wow zoo, can you even get concentrations that high? I'd have thought 8-10% would be the top you'd see for home use. I've used as high as 80% at a dermatologist's office. I started lower and worked up to that. I found that I got the best results from daily application of a glycolic acid cream. (low concentration) The peels alone didn't do that much for me, except the very first one, where I saw an immediate improvement.

#4 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:12 AM

I would just consider using a glycolic acid cleanser to start with. Start with a low % glycolic acid. Something in the range of 8-10% and once your skin gets used to this bump it up a little. To say 15%. Then once your skin is used to that you could even try q 20% concentration.

Good advice. The brand MD Forte has cleansers, lotions and creams ranging from 12-20% buffered glycolic acid. If you want some antioxidants with your acid you can try Vivité skincare. Both brands come from Allergan (the makers of botox). Other reputable glycolic acid brands are Glyderm, Neostrata, Alpha hydrox and Aqua Glycolic.

Good luck and go slow! I wouldn´t add glycolic if not already on a retinoid. A retinoid is the base of all preventative and corrective skincare.

Edited by fredrik, 04 November 2007 - 11:28 AM.

#5 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:18 AM

From what I have read the glycolyic acid in morning and retinoid in evening is a great combo because the glycolic acid is a superficial corrector and the retinoid the deep corrector.

What are your thoughts on this?

I've just started on a retinoid and may introduce a glycolic acid in the morning. Dermadoctor have a range of graduate glycolyic acid cleansers

DERMAdoctor Wrinkle Revenge Antioxidant Enhanced Glycolic Acid Facial Cleanser 1 which is a soap free, oil free, pH balanced buffered 12% glycolic acid cleanser. The number 2 and 3 cleansers are buffered 15% and 20% respectively.

Ingredients: Aqua (Deionized Water),Glycolic Acid, Ammonium Glycolate, Sorbitol, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) Leaf Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract, Ubiquinone, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

#6 Fredrik

• 570 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:08 PM

From what I have read the glycolyic acid in morning and retinoid in evening is a great combo because the glycolic acid is a superficial corrector and the retinoid the deep corrector.

What are your thoughts on this?

I've just started on a retinoid and may introduce a glycolic acid in the morning. Dermadoctor have a range of graduate glycolyic acid cleansers

DERMAdoctor Wrinkle Revenge Antioxidant Enhanced Glycolic Acid Facial Cleanser 1 which is a soap free, oil free, pH balanced buffered 12% glycolic acid cleanser. The number 2 and 3 cleansers are buffered 15% and 20% respectively.

Ingredients: Aqua (Deionized Water),Glycolic Acid, Ammonium Glycolate, Sorbitol, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) Leaf Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract, Ubiquinone, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

That is the wording I would use. At home use acids are superficial correctors and NOT preventative while retinoids are deep correctors and preventative.

The DERMAdoctor looks good. I´m sure she has formulated it at the right pH. AHAs get less and less effective at pH higher than 3.5. My face turns beet red from glycolic acid, the same if I overdose on topical ascorbic acid. Salicylic acid is also anti-inflammatory, I think that is the reason I tolerate it better.

#7 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:40 PM

Would it be usefull to employ (maybe used with say a 12% glycolic acid cleanser) one of those slightly overpriced :) Clarisonic brush? I'm prone to sebum issues etc so apart from price (195$ plus 5 replacement brushes 195$ too?) would it be a good initial step? I don't feel like a real peel right now :).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users