Photo
- - - - -

Make a n00b question forum section

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mixter

• 788 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:58 PM

From what I've seen, my suggestion would be to make boards for obvious newbie questions -- perhaps one
per supercategory (like health), or small ones, and have a motivated navigator keep moving those posts in there, which:

- Do not contribute new knowledge (e.g. help how do I fix my brain, ADHD threads, would you suggest piracetam...)
- Reopen discussion on VERY established things (is Vitamin C/whatever bad for you) without referencing new major studies
- Are totally unrelated to immortalism (top ten stimulants list, how to stay awake 5 days, or whatever else is unrelated)
- Are obviously unrealistic/unfounded assumptions (could drinking weasel milk and green coconut elongate telomeres!!1)

(Plus, move OK things in the wrong category, e.g., the milk discussion in the supplements forum, more relentlessly.)

Moving such things into a newbie forum would surely not be an offense to people, unlike
banning/moderating them down, so this could be done fast and without bad conscience...

And after newbie forums run for a while, you could decide whether to hide them from search engines [wis]

Other than that, I think the 'hard science' forum in health is a great new approach [thumb]

[ Btw: Not a bad job so far, compared to most other forums, the corresponding ImmInst forum's quality and
signal-to-noise-ratio is about 70-80% better IMHO, but I'm sure it can/should be increased even more. And
IMO, remember, IQ 100 is '100' because the majority of people are there, equally a majority of people will
concentrate less and put less thought into what they think about and write, which doesn't mean that such
input is not valuable as long as it comes with honest effort/intention. Unlike in an academic society, immortalists IMO
should be/are more open and benefit from everyone's honestly effortful input, no matter how intensely it contributes. ]

#2 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:37 PM

Might be a good suggestion. Thank you very much for it!

#3 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:51 PM

From what I've seen, my suggestion would be to make boards for obvious newbie questions -- perhaps one
per supercategory (like health), or small ones, and have a motivated navigator keep moving those posts in there, which:

- Do not contribute new knowledge (e.g. help how do I fix my brain, ADHD threads, would you suggest piracetam...)
- Reopen discussion on VERY established things (is Vitamin C/whatever bad for you) without referencing new major studies
- Are totally unrelated to immortalism (top ten stimulants list, how to stay awake 5 days, or whatever else is unrelated)
- Are obviously unrealistic/unfounded assumptions (could drinking weasel milk and green coconut elongate telomeres!!1)

(Plus, move OK things in the wrong category, e.g., the milk discussion in the supplements forum, more relentlessly.)

Moving such things into a newbie forum would surely not be an offense to people, unlike
banning/moderating them down, so this could be done fast and without bad conscience...

And after newbie forums run for a while, you could decide whether to hide them from search engines [wis]

Other than that, I think the 'hard science' forum in health is a great new approach [thumb]

Good ideas. I passed the idea along to the rest of leadership in case they hadn't read the post yet...the nootropics area could certainly use a noob section.

[ Btw: Not a bad job so far, compared to most other forums, the corresponding ImmInst forum's quality and
signal-to-noise-ratio is about 70-80% better IMHO, but I'm sure it can/should be increased even more. And
IMO, remember, IQ 100 is '100' because the majority of people are there, equally a majority of people will
concentrate less and put less thought into what they think about and write, which doesn't mean that such
input is not valuable as long as it comes with honest effort/intention. Unlike in an academic society, immortalists IMO
should be/are more open and benefit from everyone's honestly effortful input, no matter how intensely it contributes. ]

Well put.

ROXR!!111eleven

#4 Grail

• Guest, F@H
  • 252 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:12 PM

Well done Mixter, you have successfully dealt with all the issues that I had with the new health forum proposal. Props to you ;)

#5 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 10:16 AM

yes, excellent Idea.

Incorporating a few of these new ideas together should be best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users