• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Aubrey taking wrong approach to over population?

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#91 Cameron

• 167 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:50 AM

I didn't bother reading the OP, nor am I familiar with Aubrey's proposed solution, but imo the obvious remedy is simply instituting a stipulation: life or kids. Big fucking deal. It's an easy choice.

It depends on how this affects the population composition of humanity in the future. If the smartest and least superstitious individuals choose life, and the lower intellects continue to reproduce vigorously, over time as the best died due to accidents, their rate of replacement may not be sufficient, the lower intellect masses could grow to become a larger % of the population.

My take is that reproduction is a privilege not a right. Society can take the natural way away from the masses and bestow an artificial method with certain limits imposed.

IF intelligence is found to be something that can be increased without bounds, it is likely to require vast resources as it is increased. Conceivably a constantly enhanced individual might over time take more and more resources, eventually exceeding that of millions or billions of unenhanced individuals. I do not think this should be prohibited, nor does it seem likely that the policies of a group of such could be obstructed or denied by those with lesser enhancements.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. [] To go ad-free join as a Member.

#92 robomoon

• 209 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:21 PM

(Message text shortened/cut) ... in America, they have always assimilated within a generation or two and taken on the characteristics of society as a whole. Why should this not continue? Some memetic religions may be more resistant to assimilation than others, but I would think the best way to deal with this would be to encourage assimilation rather than breed xenophobia.

... I might prefer to stay on a planet that has the atmosphere, gravity, and length of day that my organism evolved for. Of course, all this could be simulated, given a large enough tin can.

Assimilation in Asia: 1 child per couple was made possible in one great region. Narrow dwelling in tall buildings was made possible in various regions having colder weather. Famine, civil war, epidemics, racism, and destruction of rain forests were usual events occurring in various regions having warmer weather, also in Africa.

Immigration in America, Europe, and Australia: only compare their birth rates with the above continents to assimilate. The event why something wouldn't continue could be either by natural cause or by men. When it's a natural cause, it might happen because of men who are unable to prevent it.

Assimilating machines on the Moon: Earth-like conditions of gravity and our length of day, not to forget an atmosphere. Bring me down, call me robocean, time for scuba diving the bottom of the Baltic Sea to build a submarine tower.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users