Photo
- - - - -

Breastfeeding Boosts infant IQ

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Futurist1000

• 438 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 01:12 AM

I don't know if this has been posted yet. Wasn't sure which section to put this post in.
Breastfeeding

WASHINGTON, Nov. 6 (Xinhua) -- Breastfeeding boosts infants' IQs, but only if the babies have a genetic variant that enhances their metabolism of breast milk, a Yale researcher and collaborators report Tuesday in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The study included 1,037 children in New Zealand and 1,116 families with same sex twins in England and Wales. Those who were breastfed and had the genetic variant FADS2 had IQs that were 5.6 to 6.3 points higher than children who were breastfed but did not have the variant.

"It is this genetic variant in FADS2, a gene involved in the control of fatty acid pathways, that may help the children make better use of the breast milk and promote the brain development that is associated with a higher IQ score," said Julia Kim-Cohen, assistant professor of psychology and a member of the research team.

This is fairly important find. Shows the whole epigenetics at work. Luckily, I think about 90% of children have this gene, so making sure that all children get enough fatty acids could have big payoffs for the individual (and society as a whole) in the long run.

Edited by hrc579, 10 November 2007 - 01:51 AM.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 02:28 AM

Yes, this touches on a lot of important issues. Is it sufficient to supplement the appropriate lipids, if breast milk is not available? If 90% of children have the good variant of the gene, could the other 10% be helped by supplemental lipids, or anything else? Is the gene heritable?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Futurist1000

• Topic Starter
  • 438 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 03:02 AM

Breast feeding

"Those who were breast-fed scored on average three points above the population mean of 100 on the IQ test, whereas those who were not breast-fed scored about three points below the population mean," Moffitt says. In other words, breast-feeding led to a gain of a few IQ points, whereas those using baby formula in lieu of mom's milk led to a slight dip.

As for the study's implications on the nature / nurture debate, Linda Gottfredson, a professor of education at the University of Delaware, says that a person's DNA is not really a blueprint, as it is commonly portrayed. "[Genes] are more like playbooks," she says. "It's not nature or nurture, but your genes operate frequently by making you more susceptible or less susceptible to certain environmental conditions." Hence, the withdrawal of breast milk from the diets of babies with a certain genetic predisposition resulted in a negative effect on intelligence.

The exact mechanism by which the enzyme coded by FADS2 might influence IQ is not known, but Moffitt suggests two possible roles: The gene variants may affect the conversion of dietary precursors to long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids, which aggregate in the brain in the early months after birth. Alternatively, the presence of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids may act on the gene itself, causing it to turn on or off, thereby affecting the metabolic pathway the acids use.

The authors note that since the time that study subjects were breast-fed, many baby formula manufacturers have begun adding fatty acid supplements to their products, potentially giving them an IQ boosting effect.

Yes, this touches on a lot of important issues. Is it sufficient to supplement the appropriate lipids, if breast milk is not available? If 90% of children have the good variant of the gene, could the other 10% be helped by supplemental lipids, or anything else? Is the gene heritable?

It looks like a child's IQ might actually decrease from breastfeeding if you don't have the gene.
IQ gene

Ninety percent of the children in the two study groups had at least one copy of the "C" version of FADS2, which yielded higher IQ if they were breast-fed. The other 10 percent, with only the "G" versions of the gene, showed no IQ advantage or disadvantage from breastfeeding.

The gene was singled out for the researchers' attention because it produces an enzyme that helps convert dietary fatty acids into the polyunsaturated fatty acids DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and AA (arachidonic acid) that have been shown to accumulate in the human brain during the first months after birth.

It seems like genetic screening could give information on optimizing the amount of DHA/AA a baby should get. It looks like if you breast feed and don't have the gene, you could actually lower your childs IQ. Of course this study was done before milk was supplemented with DHA, so I don't know how much it applies. If all the gene does is convert dietary fatty acids to DHA, then I guess just supplementing with DHA would work.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 03:26 AM

It seems like genetic screening could give information on optimizing the amount of DHA/AA a baby should get. It looks like if you breast feed and don't have the gene, you could actually lower your childs IQ. Of course this study was done before milk was supplemented with DHA, so I don't know how much it applies. If all the gene does is convert dietary fatty acids to DHA, then I guess just supplementing with DHA would work.

Sounds like maybe if you breastfeed and don't have the gene, you could lower it if it means that the baby would not be getting a modern formula with DHA... So maybe there really are some kids for whom formula would be better. That will probably freak some people out. It's kind of politically incorrect. (makes me like it all the more...) I wonder if AA is important? (I think of it as a bad thing, generally- it's an inflammatory mediator.) Do they put it in formula? I don't remember seeing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users