• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Anyone else get wicked anxiety from Green Tea?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#61 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:03 PM

i wonder if individual differences in glutamate and dopamine can explain these reports.  for many the theanine is calming, but for some, for some sometimes, it puts them on the edge.  we can ask why, but few answers leap out.  perhaps it is COMT-related, or it is the EGCG releasing glutamate or the caffeine and its dopamine-potentiating effects (which though not present in tea at "panic attack" levels, may still subtly predispose individuals to manifesting anxiety or neurotic symptoms)

polyphenols must be part of the cause.  they are very curious compounds...

some are broken down by saliva into compounds which the liver cannot produce, so swishing your tea may product slightly different effects from chugging.

serotonergic and related activities have come to light in the last 2 years

and as madman and i posted last January, many people report anxious effects from decaff tea.  so there is clearly more to the mystery here.

polyphenols, glutamate, it is not for everyone.  i am drinking less tea than i used to

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#62 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:07 PM

from 'Association of the Catechol-O-Methyltransferase (COMT) Val158Met Polymorphism and Anxiety-Related Traits: A Meta-Analysis'
This meta-analysis provides evidence for sex and ethnicity differences in the association of the COMT val158met polymorphism with anxiety traits. Our findings contribute to current knowledge on the relation between prefrontal dopaminergic transmission and anxiety.

from 'Enzymology of methylation of tea catechins and inhibition of catechol-O-methyltransferase by (-)-epigallocatechin gallate.'
Using EGC and 3,4-dihydroxy-L-phenylalanine as substrates, EGCG, 4"-O-methyl-EGCG, and 4',4"-di-O-methyl-EGCG were all potent inhibitors (IC(50) approximately 0.2 microM) of COMT. The COMT-inhibiting activity of (-)-EGCG-3'-O-glucuronide was similar to EGCG, but (-)-EGCG-4"-O-glucuronide was less potent. The present work provides basic information on the methylation of EGCG and suggests that EGCG may inhibit COMT-catalyzed methylation of endogenous and exogenous compounds.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users