• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

NanoArmor 6 times stronger than Kevlar

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Liquidus

• 446 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 10:58 PM

http://www.nanotech-...?story_id=26419

Notable points:

-The Nano Armor products will be made of tungsten disulfide (WS2) nanoparticles and enable it to produce over 50% lighter weight armor products.

-The unique nanotubes of ApNano Materials are up to 4-5 times stronger than steel and about 6 times stronger than Kevlar.

Not sure how reliable the source is, but it sure is interesting.

#2 jackinbox

• 452 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:43 AM

How it would compare to dragon skin?
http://en.wikipedia....Skin_body_armor

#3 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 03:37 AM

The government will come up with some reason why the soldiers are better off with cheaper armor.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Liquidus

• Topic Starter
  • 446 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:02 PM

The government will come up with some reason why the soldiers are better off with cheaper armor.

I think by the time these new technologies are readily available, we'll see a shift from public defense being prominent, to private defense being more viable. I'm not really certain about this, but according to the sociology class I took last semester, at least in Canada, private defense contractors outnumber public policing by at least a ratio of 3:1 at present day.

I think as the corporate world continues to strengthen itself relative to government, there will be a need for private contractors for whatever reason, and I can see no reason why corporately funded private defense contractors could not afford/want this kind of technology without the regulations or short-cuts taken by public defense funding. In the near future, people will pay for private defense instead of relying on shoddy public defense that's overly saturated with useless red-tape.

Apologies if I'm not making total sense, I've been formatting web code here at work for the last 4 hours and my brain is a bit scrambled.

Edited by G Snake, 19 November 2007 - 09:44 PM.

#5 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 12:06 AM

Do you mean mercenaries? I couldn't imagine mercenaries taking over the security of a country. There is something to be said about the government taking responsibility for armed conflicts. It's easier to hold a government accountable then it is to hold a private company. All a company has to do to abandon responsibility is change its name.

#6 knite

• 296 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:17 AM

Plus it truly does take more than money to make a person willing to die

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users