Photo
- - - - -

antianxiety medications and memory loss

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 04:36 PM

Hello, what is the truth about antianxiety medications and memory loss?. I have read all sorto of commentaries on the web about memory problems due to the use of benzodiazepines and SSRI.

How to tell if clonazepam or alprazolam will cause problems? are SSRI or buspirone better?.

If problems arise, which nootropic are good to combine with the medications?.

Thanks

#2 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 12:33 AM

Hello, what is the truth about antianxiety medications and memory loss?. I have read all sorts of commentaries on the web about memory problems due to the use of benzodiazepines and SSRI.

Nice questions.

They can definitely affect memory it depends on the person, dosage, and drug.

How to tell if clonazepam or alprazolam will cause problems? are SSRI or buspirone better?.

If the memory problems has gotten worse 1-4 weeks after starting them (and you have no B-12 or Thyroid deficiency), it’s a good chance that’s the cause (Unfortunately there is no 100% way of knowing if that’s the cause, Neuropsychological testing before and after, including blood tests help though).

SSRI’s are less likely to cause problems, but if possible I recommend trying safer alternates, with your doctor’s permission of course.

If problems arise, which nootropic are good to combine with the medications?

For anxiety Theanine can be used safely (though a brain supplement and not a nootropic) 400-1,000 mg daily or as needed.

Picamilon has had great success as well 100-300 mg daily.

Theanine has no known interactions, Picamilon as well, but I would take a low dose for the first 2 weeks before increasing.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 noos

• Topic Starter
  • 559 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 01:25 AM

thanks

>SSRI’s are less likely to cause problems, but if possible I recommend trying safer alternates, with your doctor’s permission of course.

alternatives like what?.

the nootropics you mention would be too complicated to obtain for me (theanine, picamilon which I have tried).

I read (maybe medline) that vinpocetine was used and an cholinesterase inhibitor too, can´t remember which one (not Huperzia)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 shpongled

• 176 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 09:28 AM

I know that piracetam, specifically, reverses memory impairment caused by diazepam without impairing anxiolytic activity, in rodents.

SSRI's are a decent alternative, although I would not use them unless you think you really need something, due to emotional blunting. These, along with wellbutrin, are more antidepressants than antianxiety meds. Also, I posted a thread concerning possible nootropic effects of wellbutrin + zoloft, a while back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users