• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Once we conquer aging, what will be your goal?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 09:03 AM

This is for each invidual seperatly.
Myself, afte rconquering aging, I will make sure I cannot die and live forever.
Then I will devote as long as it takes to help improving life in the universe (or at least some relativy big regions) and try as much as possible to create a better place and help others.
Once this is done, I might be able to see about living in peace and quiet in the better world that will be created.

What's your vision?

#2 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:57 PM

After i conquer aging, i will create "seasons" in my life.

For example, i would have a 10 year traveling season. Then once i got tired of it, i would have a house that's very far from towns and i would stay there for some 20 year season (with a girl, not alone -even though i would probably have an "alone separated from civilization" season too). Then i would have a 5-year partying season, probably in a hot place near the beach.
Then a 5 year nerd season, playing an MMORPG. In other words, i'll have as many experiences as i want and as many lifestyles as i've ever dreamed of.

Once i get tired of the seasons and have experienced enough stuff and am willing to go on to serious business again, i will start doing stuff to make the world a better place. I would probaby try to become very wealthy (hopefully, if all my plans go the way i'm expecting them to, i'll be very wealthy already before we create a way to live forever) and then use my money to change the world for the better.

Probably i could exchange the order of this and do as Winterbreeze; which is to first make the world a better place and then enjoy some of it. Only time will really tell what i'll do with my limitless lifespan.

#3 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:45 PM

I've always liked the idea that I would explore and be involved in someway in the colonization of other planets... although by the time radical life extension is achieved then this would likely become an autonomous thing involving advanced Nanotechnology and Robotics to set up the infrastructure. But the idea of just exploration the galaxy, the universe, and looking for other life forms is very fascinating for me and is probably the one big reasons I'm into all of this life extension stuff. Having a goal of exploring space and seeing results in your life time is incompatible with living for only 80 years. Thats why it puzzles me why those involved in space travel and other interests are not all looking at ways at extending their life :) We have to get the life extension before we go off into space, otherwise we die before we get hardly anywhere!

There are of course other reasons to which I've not gotten into, maybe another time.

Edited by Matt, 21 November 2007 - 04:48 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Johan

• Guest, F@H
  • 472 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:03 PM

First I'll make sure I don't age anymore, of course. After that, well, I'll try to experience as much of life as I possibly can, and do all the things I want to do but presently cannot because of lack of time. I'll stick to healthy and safe stuff, though. Wouldn't want to risk an eternal life for trivial things.

Hopefully, enough people in power will implement more long-term thinking after aging is defeated, so that we may create a safer future for ourselves.

Maybe I'll become a professor/teacher of some kind someday, too. It seems like a good thing to share the knowledge you've accumulated over the millennia.

#5 Liquidus

• 446 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:55 PM

There are so many things that I'd love to do right now, but given the current time restraints imposed on me, I only have so much time to accomplish the essentials (get a university degree, establish a career, build wealth). As it is, I don't really have the time or means to go visit all corners of the Earth for a decade, or go meet countless amounts of interesting people. Once aging is curable, and the time restraint is removed, there is no more pressure to accomplish things in a certain time (ie. our current ~80 year lifespans), in essence, time is no longer relevant in the context of my existence. With all of these factors in mind, it often pollutes my current thinking when I consider that the current lifespan is dedicated to personal success based on pressures of getting old and dying, and living a 'full' life in that time. To me, no aging = no pressure, and in many ways, I live this way right now. It's hard not to want to 'cheat' and live life now with the expectations that there's a very plausible chance that, granted a massive accident/event doesn't happen, and granted that I live a very healthy and safe life with multiple 'contingency' plans, I can have an indefinite lifespan for myself, but I try not to get too far ahead of myself.

If you really consider a lot of things, aging has a massive influence on so many aspects of life, to the laymen, it's nearly impossible to imagine existence without our current expectations for lifespan and death (pro death trance). But to answer the question, once aging is conquered, my first goal will be to track down Dr. de Grey (let's hope he makes it) and buy him a pint.

#6 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:53 PM

If you really consider a lot of things, aging has a massive influence on so many aspects of life, to the laymen, it's nearly impossible to imagine existence without our current expectations for lifespan and death (pro death trance).

That's for sure. Our entire society and the kind of life we are expected to have (school, university, job, retire) is based on aging. I bet that when aging is conquered all this structure will change. Kinda hard to imagine a society where people don't die of old age, but we must be ready for it because it will happen, sooner or later; i prefer the former option, of course.

#7 cyborgdreamer

• 735 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 03:35 AM

It may not be physically possible but I'd want to pursue a perfect world where suffering didn't exist and every conscious being could live fovever and get whatever they wanted out of life. If against all odds this was accomplished, I probably would augment myself into a super intelligent being and spend eternity exploring the universe with my loved ones. Maybe it's just a pipe-dream but given an infinite amount of time, who knows what's possible?

#8 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:15 AM

You guys are thinking way too far ahead. Focus on the primary goal first, then figure out the rest.

#9 AdamSummerfield

• 351 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:32 PM

You guys are thinking way too far ahead. Focus on the primary goal first, then figure out the rest.

This is why we have multiple discussions/threads. Some threads discuss what we intend on doing with our entire lives, others discuss the next move.

Personally conquering ageing won't make a huge difference to the way I life, it'll just be that "I no longer age", and I'll then have a sense of security.
By the time I am secured from ageing I will still be furthering my career, which will either be in lifestyle disease, cancer or ageing.
I will continue with that until I am content, then I will travel big time (by the time I have temporarily finished my career I will have travelled across Europe and the USA due to lecturing etc so I may move straight onto Siberia, South America, Far East, Africa and the Pacific).
Across the entire planet and probably into every country, depending on the safety of that country. Then I will return home, and do some things I always wanted to do without responsibility, such as animal and plant breeding, program writing, studying things I never had time to do before etc.

Then after a good rest, I will continue my working life.
Perhaps at some point, travel beyond the Earth.

- Adam

#10 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:36 PM

Invincibility.
Making sure nothing at all can kill me, but my pure will.

#11 gashinshotan

• 443 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:15 PM

I would find a way to become a god, worshipped by the world's population. To do this of course, I would have to suppress life extension for everyone else and gain so much knowledge into human communication and psychology as well as an unimaginable amount of general and linguistical knowledge to gain the financial and social resources to assume this role. Of course this would force me to kill my competitors and dissidents as well as keep most people ignorant and afraid, but that's life for a god-king. Sounds selfish, but what can be better than being the supreme leader of earth? Am I kidding? Maybe... :)

Edited by gashinshotan, 23 November 2007 - 01:16 PM.

#12 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:51 PM

I would find a way to become a god, worshipped by the world's population. To do this of course, I would have to suppress life extension for everyone else and gain so much knowledge into human communication and psychology as well as an unimaginable amount of general and linguistical knowledge to gain the financial and social resources to assume this role. Of course this would force me to kill my competitors and dissidents as well as keep most people ignorant and afraid, but that's life for a god-king. Sounds selfish, but what can be better than being the supreme leader of earth? Am I kidding? Maybe... :)

People like you are the reason for wars. Everyone wants power, control..... what about peace and Harmony?

#13 gashinshotan

• 443 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:04 PM

People like you are the reason for wars. Everyone wants power, control..... what about peace and Harmony?

The will to power is natural evolution and human beings are not excluded from this. Without war and the will to control we would not be at the level of development we are at today and war has proven again and again in history to be the most common recurring theme of human nature. If everyone chose to live without a desire for power, there would be no reason to do anything, including extend life or develop new technology. Life without death is meaningless and naturally, I intensely feel the drive to conquer death through the will to power. Even with immortality, we cannot escape the hunger to dominate and being a god would fulfill this need to the highest degree :).

#14 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:35 PM

The will to power is natural evolution and human beings are not excluded from this. Without war and the will to control we would not be at the level of development we are at today and war has proven again and again in history to be the most common recurring theme of human nature. If everyone chose to live without a desire for power, there would be no reason to do anything, including extend life or develop new technology. Life without death is meaningless and naturally, I intensely feel the drive to conquer death through the will to power. Even with immortality, we cannot escape the hunger to dominate and being a god would fulfill this need to the highest degree :).

That is all very true.
But I am likely to kill you the day you cease to age. The only reason I'd like to be the Queen of the World is to make sure people become good, and not try to tyrannize the planet and get corrupted by power. I've been there, done that, and now I'm good.

#15 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:57 PM

Goal #1 : Conquer aging & death (for anyone who wishes to participate)
Goal #2 : Engineer Utopia (virtual or otherwise)

#16 gashinshotan

• 443 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 04:00 PM

That is all very true.
But I am likely to kill you the day you cease to age. The only reason I'd like to be the Queen of the World is to make sure people become good, and not try to tyrannize the planet and get corrupted by power. I've been there, done that, and now I'm good.

I didn't realize you were Israeli and from Amsterdam! Must be cute... jking. But seriously you are too young to really have experienced life. Once you start encountering more people and become more independent and start having your own personal tragedies you'll begin to realize that the universe is hostile, so impersonal, devour to survive, so it is, So it's always been. I used to be naive like you only a couple years ago until I realized that by living my life to serve others I was merely a tool vulnerable to manipulation by imperfect human nature. People are inherently selfish and to an amazing degree and you'll see this when you enter the work force: everyone trying to control and manipulate each other to advance with a few predators being very adapt at this enough to succeed and the rest being prey and stepping stones toward advancement. In social situations also you'll begin to observe that not a few people are sexual predators who will do anything to manipulate and exploit to satisfy their hunger which also reinforces the reality that WE ARE ANIMALS, subject to instincts that enable us to survive through power.

Edited by gashinshotan, 23 November 2007 - 04:00 PM.

#17 AdamSummerfield

• 351 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:23 PM

But seriously you are too young to really have experienced life. Once you start encountering more people and become more independent and start having your own personal tragedies you'll begin to realize that the universe is hostile, so impersonal, devour to survive, so it is, So it's always been. I used to be naive like you only a couple years ago until I realized that by living my life to serve others I was merely a tool vulnerable to manipulation by imperfect human nature. People are inherently selfish and to an amazing degree and you'll see this when you enter the work force: everyone trying to control and manipulate each other to advance with a few predators being very adapt at this enough to succeed and the rest being prey and stepping stones toward advancement. In social situations also you'll begin to observe that not a few people are sexual predators who will do anything to manipulate and exploit to satisfy their hunger which also reinforces the reality that WE ARE ANIMALS, subject to instincts that enable us to survive through power.

Your example of competition for careers advancement is what I agree with, but I think that you have been more influenced perhaps by films than by real life. Most people that we meet (here in the developed world) are perfectly civilized, and soon the whole world will behave in a similar way.
You describe the universe as hostile, well it is, you can die rather easily if you're not careful, especially since one day it will involve leaving the saftey of the Earth. The universe doesn't care. The universe is all mathematics, it's vain.
But human perception has value, anyone who does not acknowledge this is a nihilist.

The main thing I disagree with here is that you strongly look to other people on how to behave.
You seem to think that just because most others behave in a selfish (deep down) and greedy way, that that is the way you must behave, and the more greedy and selfish you are - the better you are.
No. That's not the way. I am an atheist and physicalist but I strongly agree with the Dalai Lama on how to act in life. Acts of compassion and wisdom are how to survive, they are effective on the long term.
I suggest you at least try reading one of the Dalai Lama's books on Buddhist thought.

By the way Infernity is not naive.

- Adam

Edited by Sezarus, 23 November 2007 - 05:26 PM.

#18 gashinshotan

• 443 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:11 PM

Your example of competition for careers advancement is what I agree with, but I think that you have been more influenced perhaps by films than by real life. Most people that we meet (here in the developed world) are perfectly civilized, and soon the whole world will behave in a similar way.

I have personally experienced and observed cut throat competition where I worked (an office job) and especially in jobs involving sales such as car dealerships and gym memberships. If you consider the working conditions of the majority of the world (the third world), representing human behavior at a more accurate level, employers and the workers themselves often use psychological, physical, and sexual abuse to control workers into producing the most profit in order to achieve profit and and career goals. In countries such as China and South Korea this has even led to mass murder in order to maintain production as well as smaller exploitations such as wage witholding.

You describe the universe as hostile, well it is, you can die rather easily if you're not careful, especially since one day it will involve leaving the saftey of the Earth. The universe doesn't care. The universe is all mathematics, it's vain.
But human perception has value, anyone who does not acknowledge this is a nihilist.

Just because you view the only-recently developed human liberal ideals (recent as in only 100 years) as being mere sheeps skin over a harsh, brutal beast within doesn't make you a nihilist. There is still value in life lived through continual conflict: evolution and technological advancement. Without wars we would not have the level of development nor the level of liberal moral thinking we have today. You can even argue that the modern world only reinforces the human will to power: the endless ethnic and religious conflicts, the continued threat of nuclear war, continued tensions between supposed "allies" and "partners."

The main thing I disagree with here is that you strongly look to other people on how to behave.
You seem to think that just because most others behave in a selfish (deep down) and greedy way, that that is the way you must behave, and the more greedy and selfish you are - the better you are.
No. That's not the way. I am an atheist and physicalist but I strongly agree with the Dalai Lama on how to act in life. Acts of compassion and wisdom are how to survive, they are effective on the long term.
I suggest you at least try reading one of the Dalai Lama's books on Buddhist thought.

By the way Infernity is not naive.

- Adam

I've studied Buddhism in some superficial detail. Look where Buddhist thinking has led the most devout Buddhists: exile, persecution, and a life lacking productivity. Denying materialism is denying life, and denying the human nature as Buddha calls for is denying the will to live and evolve.

#19 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:43 AM

I didn't realize you were Israeli and from Amsterdam! Must be cute... jking. But seriously you are too young to really have experienced life. Once you start encountering more people and become more independent and start having your own personal tragedies you'll begin to realize that the universe is hostile, so impersonal, devour to survive, so it is, So it's always been. I used to be naive like you only a couple years ago until I realized that by living my life to serve others I was merely a tool vulnerable to manipulation by imperfect human nature. People are inherently selfish and to an amazing degree and you'll see this when you enter the work force: everyone trying to control and manipulate each other to advance with a few predators being very adapt at this enough to succeed and the rest being prey and stepping stones toward advancement. In social situations also you'll begin to observe that not a few people are sexual predators who will do anything to manipulate and exploit to satisfy their hunger which also reinforces the reality that WE ARE ANIMALS, subject to instincts that enable us to survive through power.

Ugh!! That was really insulting!!!
I might be young, yes very young, but for f*ck's sake don't you say I am either naive or lack experience. I know exactly how humanity functions, and I know how many things work in our world, and yet still ugh! nvm I just I don't even know how to respond cuz your post had really made me cross! :ang:
You don't know me. I won't claim things to justify any superiority because it will show the quite opposite. But don't argue on this. !!

#20 gashinshotan

• 443 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:57 AM

Ugh!! That was really insulting!!!
I might be young, yes very young, but for f*ck's sake don't you say I am either naive or lack experience. I know exactly how humanity functions, and I know how many things work in our world, and yet still ugh! nvm I just I don't even know how to respond cuz your post had really made me cross! :ang:
You don't know me. I won't claim things to justify any superiority because it will show the quite opposite. But don't argue on this. !!

Don't take it personally. These are just my opinions and I am only 21; not much older than you. But 16 IS young to make any concrete decisions about life, no matter how ideal they are.

#21 Luna

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 02:41 PM

Don't take it personally. These are just my opinions and I am only 21; not much older than you. But 16 IS young to make any concrete decisions about life, no matter how ideal they are.

You are a very biased human.
Hold yourself before you hurt yourself even more.

Humans are very much indeed savage animals, so I would consider some to be better than humans.
World domination is for the weak.

#22 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 04:16 PM

Humans are very much indeed savage animals, so I would consider some to be better than humans.

Indeed...tyrants are a bore. Super-villians often have the nicer costumes however!

As for after aging is 'conquered' (is that equalled by posthumanism for simplicity's sake?), I can't even imagine what I'll want to do, mainly because I've already got so much living ahead of myself as it is I can't plan for. At 26, I can't imagine 126, much less 36.

I can however give some general outlines:
get a few more degrees, in different fields from non-Canadian universities,
travel a lot, actually observe and absorb cultures (not vacationing) provided there is much less polluting air transportation technology available than current flight tech
delve into more contemporary ethnobotany full-time and take part in documenting how intelligent life interacts with plantlife in our rapidly changing world
raise some amazing children, meddle in the lives of grandchildren, great grandchildren, etc

Edited by mitkat, 24 November 2007 - 04:22 PM.

#23 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 04:59 PM

Super-villians often have the nicer costumes however!

:biggrin:

Yes before becoming a super villian, the first thing you should do is get yourself a good costume. Otherwise people will just laugh at you. "Did you see what he was wearing during his speech to blow up the planet?", "Yeah, what a lamo."

#24 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 05:07 PM

Well maybe for you then! Talk about yourself not about me.

I know that since I remember myself I thought there was no point really in living if it's all gonna just...end, fade, be gone. Was I young enough to know that then? Well hey! I am an ImmInst member now! And look, there are over 70 YO people here too! Should I wait that long to KNOW that's what I want? Am I too young for that too?
Please, don't judge people by their age.
As well as Drizzt Do'Urden shouldn't have misjudges the blind ranger's fighting skills.

Edited by Infernity, 24 November 2007 - 05:09 PM.

#25 gashinshotan

• 443 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:13 PM

I don't understand how world domination is for the weak when the most powerful dominate the world both in human society and in nature. Since humans have been adept at genocide and the extermination of competing species would then not consider ourselves to be weak? How does strength = weakness ?!

#26 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:27 PM

I don't understand how world domination is for the weak when the most powerful dominate the world both in human society and in nature. Since humans have been adept at genocide and the extermination of competing species would then not consider ourselves to be weak? How does strength = weakness ?!

One must learn how to be a leader without enemies. Now that is power. Dictating = Many enemies... = falling down.

#27 gashinshotan

• 443 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:30 PM

One must learn how to be a leader without enemies. Now that is power. Dictating = Many enemies... = falling down.

You can be a leader without enemies through violence - Stalin, Hitler, and Mao Zedong were the most powerful dictators in history and they achieved this through slaughtering tens of millions. I simply don't know where people with your ideals base them on - history has far more instances of the rule and longetivity of tyrants over the rule of democracies and utopias.

#28 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:06 AM

You can be a leader without enemies through violence - Stalin, Hitler, and Mao Zedong were the most powerful dictators in history and they achieved this through slaughtering tens of millions. I simply don't know where people with your ideals base them on - history has far more instances of the rule and longetivity of tyrants over the rule of democracies and utopias.

Well, here then you just gave me a great idea for my next goal after immortality. I'll be a base for that if you can't find any. I'll show it to you.

-Infernity, The Future Queen of the Universe

#29 gashinshotan

• 443 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:26 PM

Well, here then you just gave me a great idea for my next goal after immortality. I'll be a base for that if you can't find any. I'll show it to you.

-Infernity, The Future Queen of the Universe

But then you will have to fight off and suppress competitors who do not share your idealism which will lead to you in turn becoming a predator. There's no escaping history or human behavior - for every one utopian aspiring for power will be thousands of realists who will take advantage of the liberal weakness of the idealists.

#30 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 02:08 PM

But then you will have to fight off and suppress competitors who do not share your idealism which will lead to you in turn becoming a predator. There's no escaping history or human behavior - for every one utopian aspiring for power will be thousands of realists who will take advantage of the liberal weakness of the idealists.

I think it can be done. And I will say no more.

Israel's President, I don't think there were people against him

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users