• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

IS it just me... or is the new forum not work in Firefox?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:36 PM

Hi guys,

I got up today and looked at the forum...

I really have to scroll right alot now to look and read messages. I use Firefox.
I am worried folks may not be able to easily read the vast amount of information available in the forum anymore, or at least it may have folks limit their participation.

Any thoughts?

Anthony Loera

#2 senseix

• 250 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:38 PM

Hi guys,

I got up today and looked at the forum...

I really have to scroll right alot now to look and read messages. I use Firefox.
I am worried folks may not be able to easily read the vast amount of information available in the forum anymore, or at least it may have folks limit their participation.

Any thoughts?

Anthony Loera

I noticed that too, am not a big fan of that at all, plus if you notice some of the quotes from people are messed up, it sometimes puts the quotes of a post plus the posters response in the same box, am not liking that at all.

#3 spaceistheplace

• 397 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:39 PM

I have firefox and it is a little strange to read by.

So far I can definitely say that I prefer the old setup.

#4 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:41 PM

4th.. not working correctly in firefox

#5 quarter

• 132 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:42 PM

Not looking great for me on Firefox either. It has become a little confusing to follow some threads.

#6 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 03:49 PM

I've just looked using both -- it looks just as bad in IE. Must be a server issue.

Stephen

#7 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:51 PM

Some of the posts I can see properly in firefox, but not all. I never use MS. I.E anymore!

fix it please :)

Nice forums by the way :)

Edited by Matt, 21 November 2007 - 04:51 PM.

• Lurker

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:03 PM

Not working properly in Opera.

#9 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:05 PM

It is working in Opera for me

#10 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:05 PM

Yeah, all the bugs aren't worked out yet.

#11 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:25 PM

works in firefox for me

#12 buck1s

• 86 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:32 PM

Count one for working, but undesirably, in Firefox.

#13 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:45 PM

I'm using Firefox, too, and anytime someone quotes a messages, it shifts their entire message to the right, and squeezes the text in a thin but tall box. After looking through just a few threads, it's far too much of an annoyance and hassle to use this forum anymore until it's fixed.

Someone email me when it's fixed. ;-)

#14 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 05:56 PM

It appears there was a miscommunication about when the new forums were to be implemented. Working on the problems right now.

#15 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:06 PM

ya they aren't ready.

• Lurker

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:11 PM

In my last corporate job we tested any public release of the Java script interactive database management web site with all major browsers before releasing it. We also did not have to show any down time to the public and our entry page remained. I wonder if you guys are going to restore the introductory page you once had with the somewhat buried half-hearted attempt at a news portal. This notice at the top left of every page that this is an "Invision Power Board" seems rather lame too, huh?

Edited by friendlyai, 21 November 2007 - 06:17 PM.

#17 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:33 PM

Yes chip...we know all of this stuff. There was a miscommunication and the new forums were released before being completely tested. We are working on a solution/getting the bugs out.

#18 Johan

• Guest, F@H
  • 472 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:34 PM

I'm using Firefox, and it seems to work fine for me. One thing I have noticed, though, is that my personal photo isn't visible even though I've uploaded one.

Edited by namingway, 21 November 2007 - 06:46 PM.

#19 wayside_test

• 4 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:34 PM

I'm using Firefox, and it seems to work fine for me. One thing I have noticed, though, is that my personal photo isn't visible even though I've uploaded one.

I can see it.

#20 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:53 PM

Give it some time people. As Mind has already mention the new forum was released prematurely.

For those of you still using firefox 2. Perhaps you should consider downloading firefox 3 beta 1 release

Until then, please be patient

#21 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 09:22 PM

The forum's looking great guys. When I first noticed a bug, I expected that wasn't intended and that they were being worked out. The home page gave sufficient forewarning, premature launch or not. Thanks to all involved.

#22 browser

• Validating/Suspended
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:00 PM

Welcome to the new web format. Less clutter, more text. I've seen a number of sites go this way. But there's definitely a problem with sizing in Firefox. I just fired up the forum in IE and I didn't like the new design but at least it rendered correctly.

BTW, I've had this very same problem before the switch last night when composing posts or PM/PM replies. Sometimes when I clicked the Preview button the screen would jump. I'd have to keep trying to catch the Preview button until it finally previewed. I also saw previews do this very same two word column stuff I'm seeing in some places.

Having to scroll left and right is not fun and trying to read a column which looks like an eye chart doesn't work well.

My gosh. It took me five minutes to find Add Reply. It's way down there......

#23 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:13 PM

please list bugs/glitches here: http://www.imminst.o...o...c=18725&hl=

#24 browser

• Validating/Suspended
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:44 PM

Give it some time people. As Mind has already mention the new forum was released prematurely.

For those of you still using firefox 2. Perhaps you should consider downloading firefox 3 beta 1 release

Most probably Firefox 3 doesn't play well with the current version of Thunderbird and extensions/add-ins don't work. That's been my experience jumping ahead in the past.

I just told Mind my problems with the new format that websites are adopting. I had a Hell of a time trying to find his note to me and my response to him in the Preview because the print is all less bold than it used to be and everything except the controls are some shade of blue. It's a perceptual chore to find and separate out this piece of text from another piece when they are all pretty much the same font and you have to spot the text in various shades of blue.

This new format is used by a number of forum sites I belong to. Each of the sites suffered a massive falloff in participation.

It's not that people can't adjust to new things. Some new things are not just as good as the former way.

I am usually full of life in the afternoon, but since I've been viewing this site I've been getting sleepy looking at this very soothing, almost mind shutting down pastel site. I'm going off to drink the first cup of coffee I had in the afternoon in many, many months.

#25 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:49 PM

[quote name='browser' post='208955' date='Nov 21 2007, 05:44 PM']Most probably Firefox 3 doesn't play well with the current version of Thunderbird and extensions/add-ins don't work. That's been my experience jumping ahead in the past.

I just told Mind my problems with the new format that websites are adopting. I had a Hell of a time trying to find his note to me and my response to him in the Preview because the print is all less bold than it used to be and everything except the controls are some shade of blue. It's a perceptual chore to find and separate out this piece of text from another piece when they are all pretty much the same font and you have to spot the text in various shades of blue.

This new format is used by a number of forum sites I belong to. Each of the sites suffered a massive falloff in participation.

It's not that people can't adjust to new things. Some new things are not just as good as the former way.

I am usually full of life in the afternoon, but since I've been viewing this site I've been getting sleepy looking at this very soothing, almost mind shutting down pastel site. I'm going off to drink the first cup of coffee I had in the afternoon in many, many months.[/quote]

we can certainly play with the look and feel. Whats important is that we have tools to manage a forum that is becoming quite large.

and it isn't a problem with firefox. It's some weird bug that changes all the old [quote] to a bunch of weird goobly gook that messes things up. (plain quotes without the name work fine, and all new quotes work fine too.

#26 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:31 PM

I would definitely be in favor of a different color scheme, but as elrond said...it is a secondary thing right now.

#27 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:31 PM

Beta? aren't the pioneers known by the arrows in their backs?

No need. If you look to the right when you open a topic, there is an "options" box; click on it, and choose "linear" from the menu, and the indentions go away.

#28 browser

• Validating/Suspended
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:32 PM

we can certainly play with the look and feel. Whats important is that we have tools to manage a forum that is becoming quite large.

and it isn't a problem with firefox. It's some weird bug that changes all the old <<taken out so quoting would work>> to a bunch of weird goobly gook that messes things up. (plain quotes without the name work fine, and all new quotes work fine too.

Yes, I responded to one post which looked like the HTML had been composed by a third party piece of software. There was all sorts of stuff embedded in the HTML. Perhaps that was what was done, perhaps the HTML was munged by this engine you're running.

Edited by browser, 21 November 2007 - 11:32 PM.

#29 jackinbox

• 452 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:50 PM

There is one thing that I miss from the former forum: the actives topics (view new posts) only show one page now. It was useful to keep track of what going on when you only check the forum once in while.

#30 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:32 AM

jackinbox, if it wasn't there before it's there now, on the lower-right you can select up to a year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users