• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

New Imminst Forum (feature Request / Bug Report)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
183 replies to this topic

#151 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:58 AM

Hi Sam... yeah, it's not all that easy (at least for me).. it's on the list though.

#152 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:23 PM

LIKE the new buttons! thanks :~

#153 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:23 AM

BUGS:

This is a recurring error that has persisted for weeks

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/imminst/public_html/forum/FURL.php on line 8

Also, we need to reinstate a link to the regional forums on the main forum page.

#154 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:08 AM

Is the Action & Outreach forum missing or did it merge with something else?

#155 caliban

• 9,154 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 02:37 PM

Thus far, using a variety of browsers and connection speeds, I have only experienced the forum upgrade as an disaster in terms of forum speed, navigability and quality. The forums in their current form have lost almost all utility to any but the most determined user, especially if your approach to navigation does not rely on the 'active topics' button. When will ImmInst address these issues?

#156 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 02:49 PM

really?

it works fine for me (I use firefox)

I did notice some bugs with IE

#157 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:14 PM

Speed: So far I haven't had much trouble. I use Opera and Firefox. It seems about the same or a little faster than the old forums.

Navigability: categories have changed and will probably change a little more in the near future. There are less categories now, which most members (anecdotally) seem to approve of. It probably is not the best configuration but is a work in progress. I have found it hard to adjust to because I was used to the forum categories over the last 3 to 4 years. One thing I liked about the old forums is the menu bar at the top. The current menu bar (blogs, teams, search, and active topics) leaves very much to be desired. There is no way to explore and find out what the site is all about. There is no link to the mission statement, constitution, leadership page with pictures and names, donate/join page, the main forum page, etc... These are very important and useful items for first time and even returning visitors. Once we get a front page (hopefully soon), it will help the situation out, however we should still have these critical features in the menu bar at the top of every page.

Quality: Not sure what you mean Caliban. Quality of the posts. Quality of the skin. Layout?

#158 caliban

• 9,154 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:40 PM

Ok, try this very basic step for instance: On the main forum page, click on the forum "discussion".

if that works fine for all of you, I'll go away because the super-AI apparently hates me.

#159 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:42 PM

Ok, try this very basic step for instance: On the main forum page, click on the forum "discussion".

Works for me.

#160 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:02 PM

When I click on the forum "Discussion", it takes me to the "Discussion' forum with 5 sub-categories and all the recent topics. Looks ok to me.

#161 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 12:08 PM

Right, Mind... taking a little longer than hopped, but once the CMS (content management system) is up, top level menu links will come back (about, etc..).

#162 krillin

• 1,516 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:22 PM

I just noticed that the "500 club" thread didn't get moved to the resveratrol section.

"Salicyic Acit Strongly Inhibits Sulfation of Resveratrol," "Maximizing Resveratrol Effectiveness," and "Trans Resveratrol Half-Life," might also belong there.

#163 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestions Krillin.

#164 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:30 PM

"The number of opening and closing quote tags does not match. Please fix this to submit your post."

Maybe it's just me that's too stupid to handle quotes on tihs new forum, but since the update, i've had this quote problem many times, and i check it all and everything seems ok... maybe if it was made a little simplier and easier somehow....

#165 Johan

• Guest, F@H
  • 472 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

So, what about the signatures? Have they been removed? I can't find any settings to change my signature in my control panel.

#166 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:45 PM

Signatures are gone for the time being. If enough members want them back then we can bring it up for a vote. An alternative is the "personal statement" in your member profile page.

#167 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:56 PM

Signatures are gone for the time being. If enough members want them back then we can bring it up for a vote. An alternative is the "personal statement" in your member profile page.

I liked signatures very much.

#168 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 03:49 AM

The forum has gone wacko for me. All the various threads look different and are unwieldly (is that the word I want?). I'm used to a view where the most recent post is at the end regardless of which post it replied to. Now only a few posts in each of the threads appear the "old way" to me, followed by a nested view that is hard for me to navigate. I copied and pasted the nested view below, but all the nesting disappeared. Did I inadvertently change my view? How do I change it back? TIA.

Mind New Imminst Forum (feature Request / Bug Report) 21-Nov 2007, 03:23 PM
BruceKlein Note: user profile images did not migrate over to ... 21-Nov 2007, 03:47 PM
jaydfox QUOTE (BruceKlein @ Nov 21 2007, 12:47 PM... 25-Nov 2007, 08:32 PM
wayside_test New user account creation no longer sends you an e... 21-Nov 2007, 07:41 PM
elrond QUOTE (wayside_test @ Nov 21 2007, 07:41 ... 21-Nov 2007, 08:35 PM
Technosophy Wow, the amount of bugs that I'm noticing feel... 21-Nov 2007, 08:38 PM
brainbox QUOTE (Technosophy @ Nov 22 2007, 02:38 A... 22-Nov 2007, 03:19 AM
s123 QUOTE (Technosophy @ Nov 22 2007, 01:38 A... 22-Nov 2007, 09:29 AM
Lazarus Long Don is correct, my count is about 600 short too. ... 21-Nov 2007, 11:32 PM
Mind No reply button in the PMs. It seems I had a repl... 22-Nov 2007, 02:50 AM
brainbox The google toolbar spell checker does not work pro... 22-Nov 2007, 03:17 AM
brainbox Since I'm at home, being ill, I tried the sugg... 22-Nov 2007, 07:51 AM
platypus Can you make the look more compact? In other words... 22-Nov 2007, 08:27 AM
sentinel TBH I have no problem doing a bit of UAT as it

#169 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 03:52 AM

upper right hand corner of the thread there is a drop down menu entitled "options" click it, then under "display modes" hit "standard"

#170 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 03:59 AM

upper right hand corner of the thread there is a drop down menu entitled "options" click it, then under "display modes" hit "standard"

Thanks, elrond. You're the man.

Edited by luminous, 19 January 2008 - 04:00 AM.

#171 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:20 AM

strange though. I thought the other display modes had been eliminated...

#172 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:37 AM

strange though. I thought the other display modes had been eliminated...

Now I only have the standard mode--good thing too. Looks like I fit the profile of the typical user who proves once again that if it can be broken--it WILL be broken. I can't imagine the sort of person who would prefer the "nonstandard" view (Monk?). Glad I can't get there any more.

#173 caliban

• 9,154 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:56 AM

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/imminst/public_html/forum/FURL.php

Hurray! I finally figured it out!

In my previous forum settings, I was set to view the maximum topics and comments per screen. I thought that the problem might be connected, but in the move, my settings where reset to "default", so I did not worry. But apparently I should have: Now, when I adjusted the settings manually, things seem to have clicked into gear.
I'm back ImmInst! ;)

So, I doubt that many people have had the same issue, but if there is anyone out there who still gets frustrated by the error message above you can try this:

Click on "Control" and on the left-hand panel select "Board Settings" (Options) and pick a number under "Number of posts to show for each topic page"

#174 caliban

• 9,154 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:58 AM

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/imminst/public_html/forum/FURL.php

Hurray! I finally figured it out!

In my previous forum settings, I was set to view the maximum topics and comments per screen. I thought that the problem might be connected, but in the move, my settings where reset to "default", so I did not worry. But apparently I should have: Now, when I adjusted the settings manually, things seem to have clicked into gear.
I'm back ImmInst! ;)

So, I doubt that many people have had the same issue, but if there is anyone out there who still gets frustrated by the error message above you can try this:

Click on "Control" and on the left-hand panel select "Board Settings" (Options) and pick a number under "Number of posts/topics to show for each topic page"

#175 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:40 AM

Now that's ironic Caliban, you posted that you fixed one glitch as a double post glitch of its own. lol

#176 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:48 PM

OK two points. One, a close examination of caliban's double post shows it is probably a result of something that happened with the edit feature because the second post is slightly different than the first. I have had two different glitches randomly occur that were associated with editing. Often it is something to do with connection difficulties while editing.

One glitch is the same as I think is occurring here with his post, (a double post result) and once it was even stranger because it doubled the content of the single post, one edited and the first part not but both copies present in the same post.

Two, I have noticed another minor glitch. There is a function that states the *Welcome back; your last visit was: 26-Dec 2007, 01:25 AM* on the forum index page. As you can see from the previous example it does not always update itself automatically. I suspect it is because I often use the keep me logged in feature. Except that lately I have also been randomly using about 5 different computers and I would think it would notice that I do enter from different sources and at least record that fact but frankly I think it should notice every time I leave and come back even if I do not log off.

#177 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:19 PM

One more minor and randomly occurring, but often happening bug.

When I apply a spell check (usuually google) to a PM it expands the window laterally and makes a lot of the text go off screen. The text is still present but you have to make sure to scroll sideways to see it. What is annoying is that this is inconsistent, it does not always happen and it does happen sometimes in regular *quick edit* windows too but not usually in the full edit windows.

It does this in IE6 and IE7 but I haven't seen it in Firefox because there the spell check function is a passive background application that underlines the misspelled words.

#178 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:47 PM

What is the prognosis on sigs? Will there be a poll set up for members?

#179 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:02 PM

I am having a problem in that all my forum reading has changed to the threaded view (even though I changed nothing). I really don't like it as it takes forever to read through a thread. Is this a bug with FireFox? I don't see any options under my "Controls" to change it back to where all the postings in a thread are listed on a page, like 10 to a page, so I can quickly scroll through and read them all.

Thanks,

Malbec

#180 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:05 PM

Ok, never mind, I found Elronds post talking about how to change the display settings. It just took me forever to find it since I was in the threaded view. It does still beg the question as to how I was changed to the threaded view even though I didnt do anything......

I am having a problem in that all my forum reading has changed to the threaded view (even though I changed nothing). I really don't like it as it takes forever to read through a thread. Is this a bug with FireFox? I don't see any options under my "Controls" to change it back to where all the postings in a thread are listed on a page, like 10 to a page, so I can quickly scroll through and read them all.

Thanks,

Malbec

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users