Photo
- - - - -

lion's main mushroom

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 dear mrclock

• 557 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:45 PM

you are wrong. those mushrooms have indeed been used for thousands of years in china and other asian countries BUT lets mention what has been used, the fruiting bodies. what we are using just recently in the supplement forms are the mycelium. do you not see how this might be wrong ? it is definately more affective as it contains most of the active compounds but the mycelium is active too. and there is no research on swallowing active mycelium. the fruiting bodies are ok and have been consumed for a really long time no problems. anyway, you should look into this.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#62 Renegade

• 182 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

Potentially a valid observation.

How to you know that the mycelium were not used traditionally? How long have the mycelium been used for? Is there any evidence to demonstrate that your concerns are valid?

Edited by Renegade, 11 October 2012 - 04:22 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 dear mrclock

• 557 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:30 AM

i read about medicinal mushrooms used in the centuries and by all reports and lots of old recepees, it states FRUIT BODIES. usually DRIED, CUT w/e. never not once have i seen the mycelium being used. i just see it in all the supplements on the market tho. and yes, mycelium is more potent from experience but i question side effects of this. it seems more potent because it is active and perhaps might cause side effects long term.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#64 DbCooper

• 137 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

A little food for though here guys from somebody who has actually cultivated exotic mushrooms. If mycelium were as effective as fruiting bodies, people who grow psychedelic mushroom or psilocybes, would simply grow mycelium, as it is much easier to cultivate. Yet they do not, they know that there is very little psilocybin in Mycelium because it doesn't get them high, and the active compound are contained in the fruiting body in much, much higher amounts.

#65 mentatpsi

• 904 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

You can't really extrapolate the location of the active ingredients from one fungus to that of another. So far it seems as though the scientific studies are pointing to the mycellium containing the highest levels of active ingredients associated with the augmentation of NGF.

#66 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

Five years later and the title of this thread is still misspelled.
  • like x 1

#67 dear mrclock

• 557 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:10 PM

You can't really extrapolate the location of the active ingredients from one fungus to that of another. So far it seems as though the scientific studies are pointing to the mycellium containing the highest levels of active ingredients associated with the augmentation of NGF.

thats because mycelium is active. do you really want it inside you ? sounds silly
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#68 RicardoW

• 84 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

It's always interesting to get back do longcity and taking part of the knowledge that has been accumulating here.

would increasing NGF in a healthy adult be a good thing?

Not if you have a sensitive trigeminal nerve (gives you migraine or tension headaches in response to allergens or chemicals), fibromyalgia, or any kind of neurogenic inflammation.

J Pain. 2007 Sep;8(9):737-45.
Increased levels of neurotrophins are not specific for chronic migraine: evidence from primary fibromyalgia syndrome.
Sarchielli P, Mancini ML, Floridi A, Coppola F, Rossi C, Nardi K, Acciarresi M, Pini LA, Calabresi P.
Neurologic Clinic, Department of Medical and Surgical Specialties and Public Health, University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy. neuro.pg@tiscalinet.it

All data obtained in experimental animal pain models support the role of nerve growth factor (NGF) as a putative candidate intervening in the pathogenesis of chronic pain, including chronic daily headache (CDH). Few studies have been carried out to establish its role in maintaining pain states in humans. The present study was aimed at investigating cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) levels of NGF and brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), both measured by sensitive immunoassay, in 20 chronic migraine (CM) patients and 20 patients affected by primary fibromyalgia syndrome (PFMS), compared with those of 20 age-matched control subjects. Significantly higher levels of both neurotrophins and glutamate were found. A significantly positive correlation emerged between CSF values of BDNF and those of NGF (r = .61, P < .001; r = .53, P < .01) and glutamate (r = .44, P < .02; r = .51, P < .01) in CM and PFMS patients, respectively. These findings suggest the possibility of a NGF-mediated up-regulation of BDNF involved in the pathophysiological events underlying long-term neuroplastic changes in persistent chronic painful conditions, such as CM and fibromyalgia. NGF might indirectly exert its effect through enhancing glutamatergic transmission via BDNF. The above mechanisms could account for sustained central sensitization in both chronic pain states. PERSPECTIVE: This article presents findings of higher NGF and BDNF levels correlated to increased glutamate levels in the CSF of both chronic migraine and fibromyalgia patients. This opens new insights into the pathogenic mechanisms of chronic pain and offers clinicians new therapeutic perspectives targeting the above mechanisms in both painful disorders.

PMID: 17611164

I have used this plant material during tree days last week. And I have bin suffering from terrible headache for tre days now (searching the web i found the post i quitted abow). apparently my headache has a natural case.

Its some what questionable to use all sorts of plant material with potent efects.

I have epilepsy and according to research I should not considering my chemical disposition use this herb.whats interesting in this context (in relation to krillin post) is the fact that parkinson and epilepsy amonst never correlate! Its allso established that an other degenerative diseases: migraine rarely correlate with alzheimer's.

any way I wish I nerver would ahve taken it and will never do it again! Aparantly Choqueiro Ice cold had isuese with it as well any one ells?

Edited by RicardoW, 25 November 2013 - 01:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users