Photo
- - - - -

Piracetam --> PET Scans

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:29 AM

From Max-Planck-Institute for Neurological Research (J.K., A.T., W.D.H.) and University Clinic of Neurology (H.K., W.D.H.), Cologne, Germany

Always nice to see some PET images in studies, if something is going on in the brain, then it should show up on a PET scan.

Posted Image

Background and Purpose—In a prospective, double-blind, placebo-controlled study, it was investigated whether piracetam improves language recovery in poststroke aphasia assessed by neuropsychological tests and activation PET measurement of cerebral blood flow.

Methods—Twenty-four stroke patients with aphasia were randomly allocated to 2 groups: 12 patients received 2400 mg piracetam twice daily, 12 placebo. Before and at the end of the 6-week treatment period in which both groups received intensive speech therapy, the patients were examined neuropsychologically and studied with H215O PET at rest and during activation with a word-repetition task. Blood flow was analyzed in 14 language-activated brain regions defined on reconstructed surface views from MRI coregistered to the PET images.

Results—Before treatment, both groups were comparable with respect to performance in language tasks and to type and severity of aphasia. In the piracetam group, increase of activation effect was significantly higher (P<0.05) in the left transverse temporal gyrus, left triangular part of inferior frontal gyrus, and left posterior superior temporal gyrus after the treatment period compared with the initial measures. The placebo group showed an increase of activation effect only in the left vocalization area. In the test battery, the piracetam group improved in 6 language functions, the placebo group only in 3 subtests.

Conclusions—Piracetam as an adjuvant to speech therapy improves recovery of various language functions, and this effect is accompanied by a significant increase of task-related flow activation in eloquent areas of the left hemisphere.

Read the full article at : Full Article

#2 mentatpsi

• 904 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:18 AM

From Max-Planck-Institute for Neurological Research (J.K., A.T., W.D.H.) and University Clinic of Neurology (H.K., W.D.H.), Cologne, Germany

Always nice to see some PET images in studies, if something is going on in the brain, then it should show up on a PET scan.

Hmm it would be great to see more studies like this as far as any other alterations piracetam and other nootropics have on the brain.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 drmz

• Topic Starter
  • 574 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:03 PM

Hmm it would be great to see more studies like this as far as any other alterations piracetam and other nootropics have on the brain.

I think there are more studies out there with PET scan results, but you have to pay for most of them to read or request them i guess.I doubt this is the only study being done with PET and thinks like piracetam.
Always nice to see such a change with your own eyes.I'm going to seach some more if i have some time.last time i only found the same study over and over again.

for example >> (need $$ to read ) Maybe we should make a PET scan topic with NOOP X and Study X to collect some PET images

You have requested access to the following article:

Effects of vinpocetine on the redistribution of cerebral blood flow and glucose metabolism in chronic ischemic stroke patients: a PET study.
Journal of the Neurological Sciences, Volume 229-230, Pages 275-284
G. Szilágyi, Z. Nagy, L. Balkay, I. Boros, M. Emri, S. Lehel, T. Márián, T. Molnár, S. Szakáll, L. Trón

Edited by drmz, 30 November 2007 - 12:08 PM.

#4 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:37 AM

Was beginning to loose some faith in Piracetam after looking over old studies and this thread: http://www.imminst.o...mp;hl=piracetam

Honestly I have been taking Piracetam for so long (on and off) and when I first looked into it I was a teenager and although bright didn't know much (especially not how to read a scientific study and critique its methods). It seems many of us have been like this: We first get interested in life extension, cognitive enhancement etc. and the oldest, cheapest and least toxic nootropic available is Piracetam... so we read and everything on the surface sounds good... so we start taking it and perhaps there is some benefit but at least for me the benefit has perhaps gotten lost in the quagmire of a complex supplementation/diet/exercise routine...

But these PET scans and some of the improvements on the language processing and usage are pretty impressive given the study was placebo controlled

edit: Full text direct link http://stroke.ahajou...print/31/9/2112

Edited by edward, 09 January 2008 - 07:39 AM.

#5 Spiral Architect

• 79 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:51 AM

for example >> (need $ to read ) Maybe we should make a PET scan topic with NOOP X and Study X to collect some PET images

Effects of vinpocetine on the redistribution of cerebral blood flow and glucose metabolism in chronic ischemic stroke patients: a PET study.
G. Szilágyi, Z. Nagy, L. Balkay, I. Boros, M. Emri, S. Lehel, T. Márián, T. Molnár, S. Szakáll, L. Trón

I can post it in full if it's not against the rules. Is it?

From the abstract:
"The findings indicate that a 2-week long intravenous vinpocetine treatment can contribute effectively to the redistribution of rCBF in chronic ischemic stroke patients. The effects are most pronounced in those brain regions with the highest uptake of the drug."
(translation: more blood flow)

Edited by Kane, 09 January 2008 - 10:52 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 drmz

• Topic Starter
  • 574 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:20 PM

for example >> (need $ to read ) Maybe we should make a PET scan topic with NOOP X and Study X to collect some PET images

I can post it in full if it's not against the rules. Is it?

From the abstract:
"The findings indicate that a 2-week long intravenous vinpocetine treatment can contribute effectively to the redistribution of rCBF in chronic ischemic stroke patients. The effects are most pronounced in those brain regions with the highest uptake of the drug."
(translation: more blood flow)

can you post it plz ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users