Photo
- - - - -

Best Shaving Cream/Gel?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 10:32 PM

What's a good, beneficial for your skin, hypoallergenic shaving cream, gel or otherwise that you've had experience with?

I'm on the hunt for a better product...I figure there must be something that has positive effects on skin out of the array of brands available. My can just ran out so I'm trying this for a change: Neutrogena Men Skin Clearing Shave Cream. It contains what I would imagine to be a fairly low % of salicylic acid which is interesting. Seems to me that using lots of anti-oxidants in a shaving product is wasteful and possibly silly considering the amount of time it stays on your skin. Possibly it could be vitamin c enriched - it's cheap enough - but everything else seems a bit of a waste.

Edited by mitkat, 25 November 2007 - 10:36 PM.
captain spelling has failed again

#2 mitkat

• Topic Starter
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:42 PM

BA-BUMP

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 MP11

• 121 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:51 PM

I'd agree with you about the anti-oxidants, c and e seem like they might be the only worthwhile ones. How much salicylic acid does it have?

#4 mitkat

• Topic Starter
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:42 PM

I'd agree with you about the anti-oxidants, c and e seem like they might be the only worthwhile ones. How much salicylic acid does it have?

1% Salicylic acid

Water|Cetyl Alcohol|C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate|Glycerin|Steareth-21|PEG-7 Olivate|Steareth-2|Polysorbate-60|Dimethicone|Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract|Propylene Glycol|Tocopheryl Acetate|Pantothenic Acid|Ascorbic Acid|Retinyl Palmitate|Potassium Cetyl Phosphate|Xanthan Gum|Tetrasodium EDTA|Menthyl Lactate|Benzyl Alcohol|Polymethyl Methacrylate|Fragrance

(from amazon.com)

I don't like the aloe in there :\ and it does contain some c and e...I could do more, however!

#5 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:00 AM

Mitkat, you gotta try king of shaves oils or gels.

trust me when I say you won't shave with anything else. :wink:

#6 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:24 AM

Mitkat, you gotta try king of shaves oils or gels.

I almost picked this up yesterday. I ended up going back to the old Aveeno, though. I'll have to try it out next time.

#7 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:47 AM

aveeno here... the first time i shaved and didnt bleed, was the first time i used aveeno

#8 Arick

• 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:27 AM

I came across Nuetrogena Mens Skin Clearing Shave accidentally. I found it in my dad's bathroom, which is strange because he is the epitome of low maintenance no hassle macho men.It actually works amazingly! I work at Sephora and have tried the moderately to very expensive brands and generally live by the motto that, the more you pay the better it is. In this case I could not have been more wrong.I do tend to have sensitive acne prone skin,and was curious when I saw the salicylic acid in it. I am not sure if that is the ingredient that is making the difference. I've previously tried Jack Blacks beard lube and that tore me up!

#9 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:45 AM

Colonel Conk's bay rum shaving soap. It's a round bar, you use a brush to work up a lather. It's better and less expensive than anything in a can, works better than gels or creams. Using a brush lightly exfoliates your skin, too. Save the soothing creams for after-shave application.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users