Photo
- - - - -

I Have A Few Worries

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 AdamSummerfield

• 351 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:09 AM

Alright, so I've started eating much more fruit than I used to around 2 years ago.
Now, I eat an orange after I go jogging, before I walk to college. At college I eat 2 apples, and when I get back I eat a pear.
So this counts as my morning meal, my midday meal and my late afternoon snack, the thing is, I'm never hungry enough to eat anymore until tea time.
I feel fine medically speaking, but is this actually any good for me?

- Adam

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:43 AM

You'll have to go into more depth of what exactly tea time entails.

But, are you saying you essentially eat four pieces of fruit throughout the day and nothing else?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:50 AM

Sounds kind of like Caloric Restriction to me. Unless you just eat a big supper (or have a bunch of stuff at "tea time", which, as Shep alludes to, is a foreign concept to some of us), and you are making sure to get all of your nutrients, then I would think it would be a good thing. Are you asking because it seems others around you are eating more than you do? If so, I would not pay too much attention to them, as "most" people are overweight and you shouldn't be watching them for health advice anyway. If you are asking because you are afraid the fruit might have too high a sugar content or something like that, it doesn't sound bad to me, but I will let others more knowledgeable answer.

#4 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:43 AM

I have a similar issue. Throughout the day I do not have to much appetite. If I have a decent breakfast, I could do without further food to tea-time (15:00-16:00 hour) as well. But I try to eat more, my BMI is borderline low, so I actually need to. If I exercise, my appetite increases dramatically, so I try to exercise much which is a good habit anyway.
What is also important IMO is to eat less sugary fruits and more slow carbs, vegetables and protein, to get a good dietary balance. So my suggestion would be to have a good look at that to find out if that could apply to your situation as well.

#5 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:02 AM

I do something similar (I think). For breakfast and dinner I blend about 4 to 6 fruits in the blender and drink it, and then I simply have a large lunch. I wonder if thats healthy too?

#6 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:00 AM

It's a lot of sugar...and no protein on the morning. The only fruit I eat regularly are berries...the sugar is worth it for the other nutrition benefits. A lot of more compact, colourful fruits have better sugar/anti-oxidant ratios than larger fruits. I've always been more of a vegetable person however.

I am assuming, tea's at 4? ;)

#7 REGIMEN

• 570 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:40 AM

In terms of TCM those are all considered Cooling fruits with oranges and apples situated in the Earth(Sweet) category and pears in Metal(Pungent).
http://www.yinyangho...utrition_theory

Your present constitution may be affected negatively in terms of your "digestive fires" by necessitating more energy to handle Cold, raw food thus prolonging and diminishing new energy from the process of assimilation. In a sense, you may be spending some of your "energy profit" from such foods to merely further digest those very fruits. Simply, low efficiency. Consider having some walnuts or almonds with your oranges. I'm not certain of this but perhaps have a go at trying some oolong tea (warming/drying) with your apples.

This new "format" here at Imminst subtracted the ability to view posts in the thread (and the convenience of the editing buttons in the "Go Advanced" format) so I won't be naming exactly the poster who mentioned he made two raw fruit shakes a day. Four things wrong with that: 1) too much sugar at once, 2) too many items in the stomach at once which wears out the Spleen (each food needs certain enzyme combinations to digest; too many foods = weakened Spleen), and 3) most if not all fruits as mentioned before are Cooling (otherwise a very unwise longterm practice...losing weight, holding weight...beneficial...but after a while that can lead to Deficiency, weakness, debility) and, 4) too much internal Dampness which can manifest a number of issues (feel free to research all these Uppercase words in the context of Five Elements Theory and Traditional Chinese Medicine). Raw diets usually work well for people as they alleviate Liver Excesses created by decades of a Western diet rich in meats, refined sugars and flours, etc. and I will assume that you've found some sort of balance with your midday meal but realize that 2/3 of anyone's diet should not be Cooling fruit unless they are consciously applying such a diet to treat a specific condition.

#8 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,070 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:40 AM

Out the entire universe of food, fruits rank fairly high, but even among fruits there are things that are better. Like Mitkat said, berries are your best bet, less sugar and more nutrients. Still, I am thinking you need to have some sort of protein during the day for optimal health.

#9 AdamSummerfield

• Topic Starter
  • 351 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:23 AM

Are you asking because it seems others around you are eating more than you do? If so, I would not pay too much attention to them, as "most" people are overweight and you shouldn't be watching them for health advice anyway.

Yes, that's why I'm asking. All I eat during the day are foiur pieces of fruit.

I've always been more of a vegetable person however.

I am assuming, tea's at 4? ;)

Yes I prefer vegetables. 'Tea time' is usually between 5:30 and 7. I eat quite a large meal, my typical meal is one I know contains all essential amino acids: wholemeal toast with beans, and 3-4 kinds of roast vegetables - that's my 'usual' meal.

Out the entire universe of food, fruits rank fairly high, but even among fruits there are things that are better. Like Mitkat said, berries are your best bet, less sugar and more nutrients. Still, I am thinking you need to have some sort of protein during the day for optimal health.

Great. I'll do my best to squeeze some berries in.

Thanks,
- Adam

#10 s123

• Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:06 AM

In terms of TCM those are all considered Cooling fruits with oranges and apples situated in the Earth(Sweet) category and pears in Metal(Pungent).

Your present constitution may be affected negatively in terms of your "digestive fires" by necessitating more energy to handle Cold, raw food thus prolonging and diminishing new energy from the process of assimilation. In a sense, you may be spending some of your "energy profit" from such foods to merely further digest those very fruits. Simply, low efficiency. Consider having some walnuts or almonds with your oranges. I'm not certain of this but perhaps have a go at trying some oolong tea (warming/drying) with your apples.

This new "format" here at Imminst subtracted the ability to view posts in the thread (and the convenience of the editing buttons in the "Go Advanced" format) so I won't be naming exactly the poster who mentioned he made two raw fruit shakes a day. Four things wrong with that: 1) too much sugar at once, 2) too many items in the stomach at once which wears out the Spleen (each food needs certain enzyme combinations to digest; too many foods = weakened Spleen), and 3) most if not all fruits as mentioned before are Cooling (otherwise a very unwise longterm practice...losing weight, holding weight...beneficial...but after a while that can lead to Deficiency, weakness, debility) and, 4) too much internal Dampness which can manifest a number of issues (feel free to research all these Uppercase words in the context of Five Elements Theory and Traditional Chinese Medicine). Raw diets usually work well for people as they alleviate Liver Excesses created by decades of a Western diet rich in meats, refined sugars and flours, etc. and I will assume that you've found some sort of balance with your midday meal but realize that 2/3 of anyone's diet should not be Cooling fruit unless they are consciously applying such a diet to treat a specific condition.

This doesn't work. It's proven a long time ago that these ideas are wrong.

#11 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:56 PM

Please provide proof that these ideas are wrong or don't work.

#12 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:10 PM

Let's be generous and say you're consuming ~100g CHO, ~50g fructose, and ~15-20g fiber. It's going to be up to the rest of your diet, your lifestyle, and your own body as to whether or not it's worthwhile.

#13 REGIMEN

• 570 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:22 AM

I'll take the 5000 years of human-tested, food/energy-based medicine over a dietary practice based on some piddling mouse experiments.

CR'd mice turd is the spice melange of the real universe, pass it on.

Edited by liplex, 09 December 2007 - 05:33 AM.

#14 tarbtl

• 96 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:22 PM

You only eat 4 pieces of fruit during the entire day? I eat double that in a sitting.

How old are you and at what age did you start this ridiculous diet?

#15 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 11:56 PM

Four pieces of fruit until 5 pm can't be enough nourishment
if you are a young man going to college
or doing any activity like walking, thinking, talking.
Please consider a bowl of whole grain cereal in the morning -
the old fashioned kind that you cook for 5 minutes.
There are some wonderful blends of oats, barley and rye
Counry Choice Organic makes a great one. One serving is 130 calories
and absolutely delicious and satisfying. A serving of that for
breakfast with a piece of fruit like a banana, papaya,
berries, whatever and a handful of almonds a bit later for a snack
with some yogurt, should hold you for your 5 pm meal.
You must be very thin. 4 pieces of fruit until 5pm is running your body on
about 400 calories....that's not enough.
don't you get hungry? I wish I could eat so little.
ETA~you should probably go to a nutritionist and design a healthy diet for yourself. You don't seem to
know much about food and I can tell you are very young and it is very important to get your
eating habits together now so you can have them intact for the rest of your life. I take it you don't eat meat,
but you do need more protein than some beans. Eggs wouldn't be a bad idea. Yogurt too.

Edited by missminni, 29 December 2007 - 12:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users