- - - - -

Do You Look Like An Immortalist?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 AdamSummerfield

• 351 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:35 PM

I wonder,

Do any of you great people try to appear transhumanistic? Intelligent? Spiritual or philosohpical in any manner?
I certainly do. I'm proud of being an immortalist, it's a blessing we have given ourselves, the desire to live longer.
Do you wear a combination of clothing, a style of clothing, of hair or of facial hair (if male).
I think some of the men here appear intelligent due to their hairstyle and especially facial hair.
I wear very non-conventional clothes, that are not daft of course. People know, I can tell, that when they meet me or even just see me walking around, that I'm very different.
Why, I just ordered a Chinese Noblemen's Jacket (Gold) from eBay that I shall not shy away from wearing in public.
I'm curious! Please share how you try to appear immortalistic.

- Adam

#2 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:04 PM

i wear what is on sale at walmart and savers.

Got to pay my MF 300 dues from somewhere ;)

#3 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:11 PM

I wear whatever is stylish and comes in tall sizes and isn't ridiculous expensive. Alot of stuff from Gap. From a public relations standpoint for the meme, it would probably make sense to look MORE like the average person rather than purposely stand out, since that makes it easier for them to paint us as weird and looney.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:17 PM

I'm pretty conventional--I'd love to wear miny-skirts and high heels, but my husband likes casual business... around the house I'll don my old hippy clothes from time to time :wink: but I'm pretty normal and all, I feel I should be for my teaching job, and for my kids when I'm doing school functions, campfire, ferrying them to lessons and such :smile:

Edited by Shannon, 29 November 2007 - 11:17 PM.

#5 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:25 PM

Lots of brightly colored spandex.

#6 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:43 PM

I prefer to blend in. Clean shaven and a normal haircut, with most of my clothing coming from stores like El Targét.

I look like "the guy next door".

#7 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:49 PM

I prefer to blend in. Clean shaven and a normal haircut, with most of my clothing coming from stores like El Targét.

that's lé Targét

#8 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:53 PM

speaking of spandex, i think it looks best on lithe and nubile females, prefferably in a nice gray. :thumb:

I dress kinda differently, and when I finally get some money, I'll probably be really different. SinceI could care less about the rules society puts forth as to how to dress, where to work, who to marry, bla bla bla.
I do what I want. So long as it harms no one, it really shouldn't matter. I'm not saying I'm a titan level genius, but as soon as I mention just a sliver of what's discussed on this forum or betterhumans, people get a deer in the headlights look.

I think it's essential we act as differet as possible, if for nothing else than to spark a conversation on what is happening on the forefronts of aging research. When nanotatoos finally get here, I'll be first in line to get a couple really big ones. I'm pretty sure that will make even the most drastic wardrobe change look mundane.

#9 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:58 PM

that's lé Targét

Please pardon my french. :tung:

#10 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:00 AM

speaking of spandex, i think it looks best on lithe and nubile females, prefferably in a nice gray. :thumb:

Well now... that's kind of creepy. :biggrin:

#11 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:02 AM

Well now... that's kind of creepy

I try. :shifty:

and BTW Don, it's kinda hard to "blend in" when you're a damn vampire. :tung:

#12 AdamSummerfield

• Topic Starter
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:10 AM

I wear whatever is stylish and comes in tall sizes and isn't ridiculous expensive. Alot of stuff from Gap. From a public relations standpoint for the meme, it would probably make sense to look MORE like the average person rather than purposely stand out, since that makes it easier for them to paint us as weird and looney.

I wear jumpers, wool jumpers and regular ones, I resemble a 1940's English huntsman. I wear walking boots when casual, and I also wear jeans that are not denim, and regular-fit. And I never wear any clothing with any logos on. So I guess when people see me they see a boring, typical english physicist or mathematician (see my avatar), who would be glad to lecture you on very complex and boring (apparently) mathematics (yet I plan to become a stem cell biologist).

You make a fine point FunkOdyssey, we should appear more down to Earth if our aim is to convince.

I'm pretty conventional--I'd love to wear miny-skirts and high heels, but my husband likes casual business... around the house I'll don my old hippy clothes from time to time :wink: but I'm pretty normal and all, I feel I should be for my teaching job, and for my kids when I'm doing school functions, campfire, ferrying them to lessons and such :smile:

You're right Shannon. People in business such as your husband must appear very normal in order to succeed. With me planing on doing research, I suppose I can appear as eccentric as possible, unless I'm in the lab and I need to wear clothes I don't mind spilling on.

I dress kinda differently, and when I finally get some money, I'll probably be really different. SinceI could care less about the rules society puts forth as to how to dress, where to work, who to marry, bla bla bla.
I do what I want. So long as it harms no one, it really shouldn't matter. I'm not saying I'm a titan level genius, but as soon as I mention just a sliver of what's discussed on this forum or betterhumans, people get a deer in the headlights look.

I think it's essential we act as differet as possible, if for nothing else than to spark a conversation on what is happening on the forefronts of aging research. When nanotatoos finally get here, I'll be first in line to get a couple really big ones. I'm pretty sure that will make even the most drastic wardrobe change look mundane.

Another fine point. I dress just as I please, I don't care about designer labels and if something I want happens to be expensive, so be it. It is much easier for me to be who I am when I'm dressed like myself.
Yet you're point is just as good as FunkOdyssey's, there are reasons to act as odd as possible (well, perhaps not as possible) in order to intrigue, and inspire.

Nanotatoos... Not heard of them. They sound like a decided improvement over the traditional kind though.

- Adam

#13 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:17 AM

Nanotatoos... Not heard of them. They sound like a decided improvement over the traditional kind though.

nanotatoos may be here as early as 2012, would be removable and could be animated to provide moving scenes. Which would enable me to be different each week, not too far from the truth. If I have the capital by then, I'd seriously consider funding a nonotatoo startup, as I see it becming extremely lucrative, in a way that regular tatoos could never be.

#14 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:35 AM

I wonder,

Do any of you great people try to appear transhumanistic? Intelligent? Spiritual or philosohpical in any manner?
I certainly do. I'm proud of being an immortalist, it's a blessing we have given ourselves, the desire to live longer.
Do you wear a combination of clothing, a style of clothing, of hair or of facial hair (if male).
I think some of the men here appear intelligent due to their hairstyle and especially facial hair.
I wear very non-conventional clothes, that are not daft of course. People know, I can tell, that when they meet me or even just see me walking around, that I'm very different.
Why, I just ordered a Chinese Noblemen's Jacket (Gold) from eBay that I shall not shy away from wearing in public.

- Adam

I don't know what a transhumanist looks like, or is supposed to look like, but I've always strived to reflect my differences from the masses. I've worn whatever I see fit since I was a young lad, avoiding all major labels of clothing and of course, avoiding clothes made by child labour. I've worn several smaller Canadian, English and American made brands, mixed with a healthy majority of clothes that came from Salvation Army or Goodwill. When I raved in the mid 90's - early 00's, I obviously dressed different than I did now, and my style is always changing. Style is what you make it!

My dreadlocks seem to get attention out of some people, mostly in small towns - in Toronto I'm hard pressed to find anyone shocked by my deviant behaviour. I've had many facial piercings, hair styles, and sport some tattoos...they are 'primitive' non-nano tattoos :wink: I don't know if I appear immortalist (I doubt it), transhumanist (possibly), and I don't know if that's aesthetically possibly at this point in the meme. Such a multifaceted movement cannot have an easy figurehead to reference as opposed to the easily visibly subcultures such as political punks, literary and radical beatniks, hippies, ravers, pre-commercial hip-hop types, etc. Understand what I'm gettin' at? There is no visual archetype because no such ideological clarity exists in the meme for it to manifest itself physically.

Intellectual and academic movements rarely have such visual uniformity, and research scientists aren't always the spiffiest (there exceptions). These are not necessarily bad things, they would argue they have more important things to worry about anyways ;)

Edited by mitkat, 30 November 2007 - 03:39 AM.

#15 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:15 AM

I'd like to wear spandex miniskirts with commercial logos on the butt, and high heels made by child laborers. But I don't think my wife would like it. I am the man next door. (psst! I have candy...)

#16 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:20 AM

I'd like to wear spandex miniskirts with commercial logos on the butt, and high heels made by child laborers. But I don't think my wife would like it. I am the man next door. (psst! I have candy...)

....hot

#17 gashinshotan

• 443 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:57 AM

I wonder,

- Adam

Appearances are for the vain.

#18 resveratrol

• 340 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:04 AM

I've always thought it's best just to try to look good. If you try to look like you're part of a movement you'll get no one's respect.

Better to look healthy and attractive and dress well, so that they will take you seriously when you tell them what your beliefs are about later. It's a lot easier for people to listen to your beliefs and take you seriously if they see you as a normal person rather than someone trying to be part of an elite minority group.

At the same time, if you take gashinshotan's advice and ignore appearances entirely, you're highly unlikely to get anyone to take you seriously when you start talking about transhumanism.

Edited by resveratrol, 30 November 2007 - 05:08 AM.

#19 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:11 AM

No. Besides, science is cooler than philosophy ;)

#20 gashinshotan

• 443 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:13 AM

I've always thought it's best just to try to look good. If you try to look like you're part of a movement you'll get no one's respect.

Better to look healthy and attractive and dress well, so that they will take you seriously when you tell them what your beliefs are about later. It's a lot easier for people to listen to your beliefs and take you seriously if they see you as a normal person rather than someone trying to be part of an elite minority group.

At the same time, if you take gashinshotan's advice and ignore appearances entirely, you're highly unlikely to get anyone to take you seriously when you start talking about transhumanism.

My philosophy is care when you need to, don't give a f*ck when you don't. When you're walking down the street or in your workplace you want to fit in as much as possible to avoid any problems or unwanted attention. When you want to influence people, that's when you dress up and flirt with them. Right now I'm in a college setting where mostly everyone is a dumbass that just cares about video games, drugs, and getting laid and where most of the girls are average looking or less (70% east asian population) so I don't care too much about my appearance. When I start to to get into my professional goals however, I will start to dress up and learn the body language that will get me the results I want.

#21 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:23 AM

Clean shaven and a normal haircut

I've heard it called the "Young Republican" hairstyle. Certainly invites less trouble from authorities.

#22 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:04 AM

Clean shaven and a normal haircut

I've heard it called the "Young Republican" hairstyle. Certainly invites less trouble from authorities.

Posted Image

Edited by platypus, 30 November 2007 - 06:04 AM.

• Lurker

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:17 AM

I wear whatever my wife buys me - usually stuff from Goodwill or Salvation Army.

#24 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 11:54 AM

I take the good of all.
I don't dress like an immortalist, immortalist is who I am and I need to prove it to no one.
I have dressing moods.

It changes all the time.... Punk-American teenage-crazy-lass, pure-immortal-elf, old fashioned-classic-temptress, goth, gentle-modest-peasant, reach-bitch, ranger, pirate-wench, modern-fighter, old fashioned-fighter, the-silent-wise-classic-reader, futuristic, freak, geek, the-wise-wizard, business-woman, man.......... like hell, I've moods of being everything. I have a changing dressing style, everyone who knows me for a week knows that.
If I didn't have blond hair and had something brown I'd likely colour it red or blue or pink or blond or black..crazy stuff that is, for I've moods. But my long blond hair's a standard, I like it too much to surrender to my one day mood.
That's also a prob with piercing, the mood for it comes and goes.

A few things that for some reason attract me in a guy (they can't go all together, and it won't make a good combo, but it can make a few figures of extremely attractive people in my humble taste).

-Pale skin!
-Small beard
-Noble looks
-Intelligence and insightfulness appeal
-Long hair
-Geeky looks *blush*
-Snobbishness :\
-Hair and eyes- Crushes and such: blond hair, blue eyes. Stable long term relationship- dark eyes and hair. (I don't know why!)

These ones are the things that popped into my head, so yeah there is more...

#25 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:50 PM

I don't really care to be honest, unless I'm going for some job interview or something like that. I just wear clothes that are comfortable, and not expensive. I used to wear the baggy jeans, and have the whole 'rock' look but now I tend not to as it attracts a lot of attention where I live, some of it you don't want especially if you plan on living a long time... so now I generally don't care what people think. I've had the same trainers since 2001! and they're in very good condition too! So I'm not the kind of person who will go out and spend money on fashion.

I did have to go out and buy my Nano shirt and Nano trousers though haha ;)

I was very amused as was my friends at water bouncing off them lol :biggrin:

Edited by Matt, 30 November 2007 - 04:53 PM.

#26 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 05:44 AM

I dress as the average person does. As someone said above here, no need to dress different from the majority and come up with these "crazy" ideas. The person definitely will think i got something missing in my head.

Point is, dressing differently to appear "immortalist" (whatever that dress should look like...) won't help me personally (unless i want to attract some punk girls, which aren't my shore), won't help the transhumanist movement, won't help any crap. And besides, average clothes are easier to find/buy :smile:

#27 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:51 AM

deleted.
sorry, but I can't find the delete option

Edited by missminni, 02 December 2007 - 07:43 PM.

#28 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:35 PM

Do immortalists wear red?

Women that like man's attention wear red :)
VERY USEFUL ^^ Red's quite my fav color, again it changes in moods, but still it is quite the favoured one.

Mmmm I wear black a lot. Mostly in fact.

#29 resveratrol

• 340 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:19 PM

Right now I'm in a college setting where mostly everyone is a dumbass that just cares about video games, drugs, and getting laid

Video games? Surely no good can come of such things!

Heaven forbid the unwashed wastrels that are the youth of today waste their precious waking hours with such nonsense and frivolity.

Sex? Definitely a waste of time as well.

I'm glad you put them in the same category as drugs.

Edited by resveratrol, 03 December 2007 - 10:21 PM.

#30 spaceistheplace

• 397 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:37 PM

I have multiple sets of clothing which are exactly the same (light stonewash jeans and a white shirt). If you wear the same thing every day than it frees up a little extra space in your brain for other activities. Also I keep my head cleanly shaven and have a small beard. I have a thin but muscular structure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users