Photo
- - - - -

Piracetam And Msg

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pezzonovante

• 23 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:02 AM

I remember reading somewhere that it is bad to take Piracetam and MSG, is this true? If so, how bad and what effects are there?

Also, are there any other things that are bad when combined with Piracetam? Thanks.

#2 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:58 AM

probably you read it here Full Article

Yet as noted in the section on glutamate, because Piracetam is a cholinergic/glutamatergic activator, there is the potential for symptoms related to cholinergic/glutamatergic excess to occur, especially in those unusually sensitive to Piracetam. Such symptoms - anxiety, insomnia, irritability, headache, agitation, nervousness, and tremor - are occasionally reported in some people taking Piracetam. (11,18) Reducing dosage, or taking magnesium supplements (300-500mg/day), which reduce neural activity, will frequently alleviate such "overstimulation" effects. Persons consuming large amounts of MSG (monosodium glutamate) and/or aspartame in their diet should be cautious in using Piracetam, as should those who are highly sensitive to MSG-laden food (the "Chinese restaurant syndrome"). Caffeine also potentiates Piracetam's effects, as do other nootropics such as deprenyl, idebenone, vinpocetine, and centrophenoxine, and it may be necessary to use Piracetam in a lower dosage range if also using any of these drugs regularly. Those wishing to augment Piracetam's cholinergic effects may wish to combine it with cyprodenate or centrophenoxine, which are much more powerful acetylcholine enhancers than choline or lecithin.

What is considered a large amount of MSG ? Max intake seems to be 120MG/KG, so lartge amount is near that, 50% of max ? Also labels don't specify the ammount of msg in a product.(at least not in the EU)

Edited by drmz, 02 December 2007 - 10:54 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 pezzonovante

• Topic Starter
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:19 PM

probably you read it here Full Article

Yet as noted in the section on glutamate, because Piracetam is a cholinergic/glutamatergic activator, there is the potential for symptoms related to cholinergic/glutamatergic excess to occur, especially in those unusually sensitive to Piracetam. Such symptoms - anxiety, insomnia, irritability, headache, agitation, nervousness, and tremor - are occasionally reported in some people taking Piracetam. (11,18) Reducing dosage, or taking magnesium supplements (300-500mg/day), which reduce neural activity, will frequently alleviate such "overstimulation" effects. Persons consuming large amounts of MSG (monosodium glutamate) and/or aspartame in their diet should be cautious in using Piracetam, as should those who are highly sensitive to MSG-laden food (the "Chinese restaurant syndrome"). Caffeine also potentiates Piracetam's effects, as do other nootropics such as deprenyl, idebenone, vinpocetine, and centrophenoxine, and it may be necessary to use Piracetam in a lower dosage range if also using any of these drugs regularly. Those wishing to augment Piracetam's cholinergic effects may wish to combine it with cyprodenate or centrophenoxine, which are much more powerful acetylcholine enhancers than choline or lecithin.

What is considered a large amount of MSG ? Max intake seems to be 120MG/KG, so lartge amount is near that, 50% of max ? Also labels don't specify the ammount of msg in a product.(at least not in the EU)

So it could possibly lead to overstimulation?

My diet has a rather large amount of MSG in it, and though I have made steps to reduce it I am worried that it had some negative affect on me. I don't really feel overstimulated or anything, so am I fine? I was mostly tripping about neural damage or anything like that.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 coq10

• 17 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:32 PM

I remember reading somewhere that it is bad to take Piracetam and MSG, is this true? If so, how bad and what effects are there?

Also, are there any other things that are bad when combined with Piracetam? Thanks.

I would take Piracetam as it protects against glutamate damage.
  • dislike x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users