Photo
- - - - -

About Alcar..

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pezzonovante

• 23 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:43 AM

I started taking ALCAR around last week and didn't feel much. I found out the other day that it competes for absorption with other Choline compounds (oops) and started to take it in the morning on an empty stomach.

Sunday -
1000mg

Felt amazing in the morning until I ate. Then it went downhill from there. Piracetam + CDP didn't do much, and around nighttime I feel horrible.

Monday (today) -
500mg

Felt great in the morning, and it lasted longer but eventually started getting that weird spaced out feeling. Is this because I'm not taking it with ALA? I thought the ALA was just for anti-oxidant purposes?

I redosed 500 mg about a hour ago and it has only slightly improved the way I feel. I am sure this is from the ALCAR, how can I avoid the crackout after the initial burst? I would much rather have a smooth but consistent feeling throughout the day. Thanks.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:19 AM

I started taking ALCAR around last week and didn't feel much. I found out the other day that it competes for absorption with other Choline compounds (oops) and started to take it in the morning on an empty stomach.

Sunday -
1000mg

Felt amazing in the morning until I ate. Then it went downhill from there. Piracetam + CDP didn't do much, and around nighttime I feel horrible.

Monday (today) -
500mg

Felt great in the morning, and it lasted longer but eventually started getting that weird spaced out feeling. Is this because I'm not taking it with ALA? I thought the ALA was just for anti-oxidant purposes?

I redosed 500 mg about a hour ago and it has only slightly improved the way I feel. I am sure this is from the ALCAR, how can I avoid the crackout after the initial burst? I would much rather have a smooth but consistent feeling throughout the day. Thanks.

I've generally taken it after meals rather than before. I'm not sure what's causing you to start feeling bad some while after dosing ALCAR, but I just wanted to mention that people take it with ALA because it increases mitochodrial ROS production. Without the antioxidant, it's kind of an anti-longevity supplement.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 pezzonovante

• Topic Starter
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:46 AM

Sunday -
1000mg

Monday (today) -
500mg

I've generally taken it after meals rather than before. I'm not sure what's causing you to start feeling bad some while after dosing ALCAR, but I just wanted to mention that people take it with ALA because it increases mitochodrial ROS production. Without the antioxidant, it's kind of an anti-longevity supplement.

Gotcha on the ALA, I will order some soon but I just wanted to clarify whether the weird feeling that I have been getting was due to the lack of ALA or the ALCAR itself.

Anyone else? I really do feel GREAT when I first take it but once it wears off I feel horrible.

#4 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:01 PM

Gotcha on the ALA, I will order some soon but I just wanted to clarify whether the weird feeling that I have been getting was due to the lack of ALA or the ALCAR itself.

Anyone else? I really do feel GREAT when I first take it but once it wears off I feel horrible.

What other supplements are you taking and how old are you? Do you ever drink coffee or consume any other caffeine? What is your reasoning for taking it? I assume that it is for a different reason than the people around here. I say this because you are not taking it with ALA. There is much research about the combination of these two. ALA has many other benefits other than just an extraordinary anti-oxidant. In fact, I never heard of anyone taking ALCAR absent of the ALA.

Answer my initial questions. This will help me to possibly pin down the probable culprit in your situation.

Edited by luv2increase, 04 December 2007 - 06:02 PM.

#5 pezzonovante

• Topic Starter
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:03 PM

What other supplements are you taking and how old are you? Do you ever drink coffee or consume any other caffeine? What is your reasoning for taking it? I assume that it is for a different reason than the people around here. I say this because you are not taking it with ALA. There is much research about the combination of these two. ALA has many other benefits other than just an extraordinary anti-oxidant. In fact, I never heard of anyone taking ALCAR absent of the ALA.

Answer my initial questions. This will help me to possibly pin down the probable culprit in your situation.

Sure.

I very rarely intake caffeine, it is something I save for specific situations when I really need it. My current regimen is - Piracetam (2x 500 mg a day) + CDP Choline (2x 250 mg a day) + Multivitamin + 5HTP before I sleep. That's about it. I am 22 years old. I have been unable to workout or get much physical activity in recently as I have been intently focused on getting a job in a very competitive industry. I started taking Piracetam in hopes of increasing my verbal acuity and quick thinking for interviews. It seemed to help a lot for the first two weeks, though now I am not sure if it does much.

When I take Acetyl-L-Carnitine in the morning, I feel pretty wired and quick. I can almost feel the AcH running through me, as I am normally somewhat deficient in it. However the sensation is very fleeting. This is how I also felt when I first started taking Piracetam + CDP Choline. However, ALCAR seems to do almost nothing when I take it later in the day.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

#6 brotherx

• 313 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:01 PM

Hi,

I don't have any negative side effects while using ALCAR. (I take it before breakfast and after lunch). No crash - no weird feeling.

Cheers Alex

Sure.

I very rarely intake caffeine, it is something I save for specific situations when I really need it. My current regimen is - Piracetam (2x 500 mg a day) + CDP Choline (2x 250 mg a day) + Multivitamin + 5HTP before I sleep. That's about it. I am 22 years old. I have been unable to workout or get much physical activity in recently as I have been intently focused on getting a job in a very competitive industry. I started taking Piracetam in hopes of increasing my verbal acuity and quick thinking for interviews. It seemed to help a lot for the first two weeks, though now I am not sure if it does much.

When I take Acetyl-L-Carnitine in the morning, I feel pretty wired and quick. I can almost feel the AcH running through me, as I am normally somewhat deficient in it. However the sensation is very fleeting. This is how I also felt when I first started taking Piracetam + CDP Choline. However, ALCAR seems to do almost nothing when I take it later in the day.

#7 pezzonovante

• Topic Starter
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:27 AM

Hi,

I don't have any negative side effects while using ALCAR. (I take it before breakfast and after lunch). No crash - no weird feeling.

Cheers Alex

Sure.

Brotherx do you just use ALCAR by itself? Do you feel a consistent effect through the day, and do you take it right before you eat? Thanks.

#8 Spiral Architect

• 79 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:11 AM

I started taking ALCAR around last week and didn't feel much. I found out the other day that it competes for absorption with other Choline compounds (oops)

Where'd you see that?

#9 pezzonovante

• Topic Starter
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:54 AM

I started taking ALCAR around last week and didn't feel much. I found out the other day that it competes for absorption with other Choline compounds (oops)

Where'd you see that?

On the forum. Try running a search for ALCAR and go through all the threads with a high post count. You'll find it.

#10 brotherx

• 313 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:12 PM

I also take Piracetam, Bacopa and Alpha GPC.
In the morning I take it about half an hour before I eat and about 1 hour after lunch!

Cheers Alex

Hi,

Cheers Alex

Sure.

Brotherx do you just use ALCAR by itself? Do you feel a consistent effect through the day, and do you take it right before you eat? Thanks.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 01:43 PM

I also take Piracetam, Bacopa and Alpha GPC.
In the morning I take it about half an hour before I eat and about 1 hour after lunch!

You should be taking vitamin b5 with the CDP Choline - it aids in absorption, and without it you might not be getting the choline past the BB Barrier. This may be why you feel out of it by lunchtime.

Edited by chrono, 27 October 2010 - 01:00 PM.
trimmed quote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users