• 1,195 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:49 AM

My criterea for a solid cereal is:
High in soluable fiber
No sugar added
Fruits and nuts are a plus
The lower the calories the better
Taste

Go Lean Crunch is probably the best I have found in my supermarket, I normally add blue berries and almonds. I'm interested to see what you guys are eating.
Posted Image

NUTRITION FACTS
Serving Size: 1 cup (53g/1.9 oz)
Servings Per Container: About 8 Amount/Serving %Daily Value**
Calories 190
Calories from Fat 25

Posted Image Total Fat 3g*
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 95mg
Potassium 300mg
Total Carbohydrate 36g
Dietary Fiber 8g
Soluble Fiber 3g
Insoluble Fiber 5g
Sugars 13g
Protein 9g

Edited by lucid, 05 December 2007 - 06:52 AM.

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,070 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:58 AM

Used to eat the generic grape nuts. Now I have switched to plain oatmeal (usually sprinkle cinnamon on top)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:41 AM

Yep, I'm a porridge man. Scottish oats with Raisins (although I must trry blueberries), maybe honey and whatever nuts/seeds i have in.

#4 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:15 PM

Oats, rolled and cut, with whey. I add fruits or vegetables, depending on my taste of the day. (I use unflavoured whey so that the vegetable combination doesn't become to odd taste-wise)
I'm cooking them, however, in Mueslï they are eaten raw.
So my question about this still is: how are you eating this stuff and what are the benefits / risks of eating it raw.
Bacterial issues could evidently be dealt with by cooking, but moulds and similar members of unwanted fauna seems to be more difficult to deal with.

#5 quarter

• 132 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 05:26 PM

I can't give up on my morning Bran Flakes, I've tried switching to porridge or even shredded wheat but always ended up craving bran flakes. They have added sugar so they are not the healthiest, but it is my main vice so I'm hoping they are not that bad.

I also sprinkle a few tablespoons of milled organic flax seed onto my Bran Flakes.

My addiction to morning bran flakes also means I can't completely give up milk.

#6 s123

• Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:03 PM

Brinta (something like oats) + water + potassium chloride + fibres from coconut and sugar beet + flavour

For flavour I use cinnamon, vanilla, almonds,...

Now I have started to make it a little sweeter by adding some Siraitia grosvenorii powder.

For 100g of dry product I can add 500g of water and it's still not liquid (the power of the fibres in it).

Brinta (something like oats) + water + potassium chloride + fibres from coconut and sugar beet + flavour

For flavour I use cinnamon, vanilla, almonds,...

Now I have started to make it a little sweeter by adding some Siraitia grosvenorii powder.

For 100g of dry product I can add 500g of water and it's still not liquid (the power of the fibres in it).

#7 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:30 AM

Kashi Seven Whole Grains & Sesame Cereal (see product details for ingredients list), Soy Protein Concentrate (Textured), Evaporated Cane Juice (Florida Crystals Brand), Brown Rice Syrup, Chicory Root Fiber, Whole Grain Oats, Kashi Seven Whole Grains & Sesame Flour (see product details for ingredients list), Expeller Expressed Canola Oil, Honey, Salt, Cinnamon, Mixed Tocopherols (Natural Vitamin E) for Freshness

"Evaporated Cane Juice" and "Brown Rice Syrup" are a refined carbs. Golean crunch is quite sweet with 13g of sugar. If it wasn't for all the sugar I would eat it more because it tastes awesome.

Golean original has half the sugar and 50% more protein than golean crunch:

Soy grits, Kashi Seven Whole Grains and Sesame™ (hard red winter wheat, long grain brown rice, whole grain oats, barley, triticale, rye, buckwheat, sesame seeds), evaporated cane juice syrup, corn meal, corn flour, soy protein, wheat bran, oat fiber, corn bran, honey, evaporated cane juice, natural flavors, calcium carbonate, salt, annatto color.

Nutrition Facts:
Serving Size: 1 cup (52g/1.8 oz)
Servings Per Container: About 8
Amount/Serving %Daily Value**
Calories 140
Calories from Fat 10
Total Fat 1g 2%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Trans Fat 0g 0%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 85mg 4%
Potassium 480mg 14%
Total Carbohydrate 30g 10%
Dietary Fiber 10g 40%
Soluble Fiber 1g
Insoluble Fiber 9g
Sugars 6g
Protein 13g 20%

#8 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:45 AM

Now I eat old fashioned oatmeal.

#9 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:04 AM

Farina with melted margine on top. Yum.

(And Rice/Corn Chex are good too)

Edited by Technosophy, 07 December 2007 - 01:06 AM.

#10 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:42 AM

I like many of the kashi cereals, but as it's been said, they are quite sweet and not up to par with my spartan, tasteless health routine. :thumb: I have steel cut oats pretty much every morning or a rotating selection of "natural" cereals.

Farina with melted margine on top. Yum.

Say Whaaaat?

Edited by mitkat, 07 December 2007 - 01:43 AM.
Gave techno a hard time.

#11 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:25 AM

My favorite cereals are all from a company called Nature's Path. The ones I buy are Flax Plus and Hemp Plus, and also their children's brand EnviroKidz (the koala one).

When I have no other option, Cheerios isn't actually all that bad. It has whole wheat and not too much sugar or iron.

Edited by progressive, 29 December 2007 - 11:31 PM.

#12 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:48 PM

Country Choice Organic Multi Grain
Rye-Barley-Oats-Wheat
cooks in 5 minutes
130 calories a serving
don't need nothing on it - it is delicious plain
Trader Joe's carries it sometimes.

#13 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 05:26 AM

Generally with cereals you want to avoid anything that contains wheat, even whole wheat. This is just cheap-ass filler grain (along with corn and rice) with very low nutritional benefit. Barley and oat grains are the healthiest (highest levels of blood glucose lowering beta-glucans, that can help normalize blood glucose levels for 6-12 hours). Same goes with breads.

I never eat cereal, except hot 100% unsweetened oatmeal each morning, in which I add about 15 powdered and liquid supps. Mmmmm. It almost tastes good even.

A while back I tried something with buckwheat in it and had a severe allergic reaction and drove myself to the emergency room, with my throat closing up and my whole body itching. They gave me a steroid shot and an IV for 90 minutes. That Kashi stuff has buckwheat as one of the grains, so I can't touch it.

#14 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 05:51 AM

Generally with cereals you want to avoid anything that contains wheat, even whole wheat. This is just cheap-ass filler grain (along with corn and rice) with very low nutritional benefit. Barley and oat grains are the healthiest (highest levels of blood glucose lowering beta-glucans, that can help normalize blood glucose levels for 6-12 hours). Same goes with breads.

I never eat cereal, except hot 100% unsweetened oatmeal each morning, in which I add about 15 powdered and liquid supps. Mmmmm. It almost tastes good even.

A while back I tried something with buckwheat in it and had a severe allergic reaction and drove myself to the emergency room, with my throat closing up and my whole body itching. They gave me a steroid shot and an IV for 90 minutes. That Kashi stuff has buckwheat as one of the grains, so I can't touch it.

I know, I wish it didn't have the wheat in it, but it is so delicious and you don't have to put anything on it. just plain. made with water.
It has such a great texture with the different grains.
I loved oatmeal too but this is so much better I switched. Now i can hardly eat oatmeal, it seems so boring. LOL
This is coming from someone who grew up on wheatina and farina, so I know boring. I love cereal. cold cereal too.
What about Quinona? My neighbor raves about it as the wonder grain. I haven't tried it yet.

#15 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:04 AM

not to mention its heavy on the stomach.

#16 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 06:50 PM

What about Quinona? My neighbor raves about it as the wonder grain. I haven't tried it yet.[/font][/size]

Quinoa is an excellent all-round food imo. You can have it for any meal of the day really...I usually have it as a non-breakfast food with some curry spices and peppers mixed in, but you could sweeten it up a bit in a healthful fashion for breaky.

#17 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:17 PM

Anyone tried the Amaranth grain? I add a few tablespoons of an Amaranth muesli. Good taste, and supposed to contain over twice the amount of magnesium and calcium than oats for example, and has a better micronutrient profile than Quinoa, - and no gluten. Relatively high in protein, I mix in a little oats to get a broad amino composition.
Also I add dried mulberries, and take a moranoline supplement (from white mulberries), too, - should help slow the absorption of the carbs -> glucose. Key is to pick the carb sources with the highest micronutrient bang for the buck, so we can prevent a rapid rise in blood sugar.

BTW, during the Christmas holidays I've finished my dinners with 1-2 cups of hot tea, made from peppermint leaves, - burns right through the christmas fat! I'm continuously amazed by the diversity of tea, - EVERYONE should swap a little of their water intake to tea. Oh my god, tea.

#18 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:20 PM

double post.

Edited by kenj, 30 December 2007 - 07:24 PM.

#19 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:24 PM

What about Quinona? My neighbor raves about it as the wonder grain. I haven't tried it yet.[/font][/size]

Quinoa is an excellent all-round food imo. You can have it for any meal of the day really...I usually have it as a non-breakfast food with some curry spices and peppers mixed in, but you could sweeten it up a bit in a healthful fashion for breaky.

Now that I remember she served it the other night at dinner as a side, and it reminded me of cous cous. It was delicious.
It was plain, no seasoning to mention. It tasted very wholesome. I could see it for breakfast.

Quinoa WikipediaQuinoa was of great nutritional importance in pre-Columbian Andean civilizations, being secondary only to the potato, and followed in third place by maize. In contemporary times this crop has come to be highly appreciated for its nutritional value, as its protein content (12%–18%) is very high. Unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete food. This means it takes less quinoa protein to meet one's needs than wheat protein. It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten free and considered easy to digest. Because of all these characteristics, quinoa is being considered as a possible crop in NASA's Controlled Ecological Life Support System for long-duration manned spaceflights.[5]

#20 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:30 PM

Anyone tried the Amaranth grain? I add a few tablespoons of an Amaranth muesli. Good taste, and supposed to contain over twice the amount of magnesium and calcium than oats for example, and has a better micronutrient profile than Quinoa, - and no gluten. Relatively high in protein, I mix in a little oats to get a broad amino composition.
Also I add dried mulberries, and take a moranoline supplement (from white mulberries), too, - should help slow the absorption of the carbs -> glucose. Key is to pick the carb sources with the highest micronutrient bang for the buck, so we can prevent a rapid rise in blood sugar.

BTW, during the Christmas holidays I've finished my dinners with 1-2 cups of hot tea, made from peppermint leaves, - burns right through the christmas fat! I'm continuously amazed by the diversity of tea, - EVERYONE should swap a little of their water intake to tea. Oh my god, tea.

I've had amaranth flakes, as in cruncy cold cereal, and they were great, but I've never had it as a hot cereal. Have you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users