Photo
- - - - -

Learning support - list of drugs and plants

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 genesis svk

• 16 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:38 PM

I want to make list of all drugs and plants which may somehow improve learning process (better memory, concentration, alertness, reaction time, mood, verbal fluency). Pls write here all drugs or plants or their combinations you think they can enhance learning proces. Write it here in this way .. example:

Maral (Rhaponticum) root extract 2 ml before learning, sublingual more powerful and sooner onset (50g root/ 250g alcohol 60 percent ) - alertness, concentration, mood, reaction time, verbal fluency, memory, adaptogen
Schisandra chinensis (250mg -1g dried fruit 2x daily) - alertness, concentration, reaction time, strenght and endurance improvement
Caffein or (theophylline has longer effect) - alertness, concentration, reaction time
DMAE (50 - 150 mg DMAE bitartat / day) - alertness, concentration, mood, antianxiety, verbal fluency
lavender (0.7g/0.7l water but I eat flower I like it ;)) - antiaxiety, mood, relaxation, concentration
Siberian root extract - concentration, mood, antianxiety (dependent on dose), adaptogen (jamieson 1 caplet before learning)
linden (1.5g/0.7l water) - antiaxiety, mood, relaxation, concentration
sage (salvia) tea (1.5g/0.7l water)- antiaxiety, mood, relaxation, concentration
lemon balm tea (1.5g/0.7l water) - antiaxiety, mood, relaxation, concentration
and so on

pls write only stuff you have taken and can confirm its effect.

Edited by genesis svk, 08 December 2007 - 10:13 AM.

#2 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:56 PM

Genesis it is going to be literally impossible to make a factual list because there is so much that we do not know about memory, concentration, alertness, reaction time, mood, verbal fluency and so on. Additionally, a lot of the research investigating the effects of various drugs and plants is inconclusive and contradictory.

Hence, is making a list worthwhile? IMO, making a list like the one you are suggesting is probably of more risk than benefit.

Let's have a look at the handful of compounds you have given as examples

Piracetam - memory
Caffein - alertness, concentration, reaction time
DMAE - alertness, concentration, mood, antianxiety, verbal fluency
Siberian root extract - concentration, mood, antianxiety, adaptogen
Maral (Rhaponticum) root extract - alertness, concentration, mood, reaction time, verbal fluency, memory, adaptogen
Damiana herb - alertness, mood, concentration
lavender - antiaxiety, mood, relaxation, concentration

Can you support any of the above claims with peer reviewed well designed studies in healthy humans. I'm not just talking about citing one paper I am talking about a group of papers that categorically support the above.

With all that said, your intention to provide a resource for the members is much appreciated but in this situation it's unlikely that a reliable list can be put together

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tarbtl

• 96 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:45 PM

I agree with zoolander. In addition, certain herbs or compounds that claim to have an anxyolitic effect, can actually induce anxiety in certain people... YMMV

#4 genesis svk

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:32 PM

You have not understood me. I don't want scientific studies support to each drug or herb. I want you to write me all drugs and herbs you are using for learning (your subjective opinion and own experience). I have been trying different drugs and herbs since my 14 (now I have 28). I have made my own opinion on each of them. For example my best herbs and drugs for learning are :

Maral (Rhaponticum) root extract 2 ml before learning, sublingual more powerful and sooner onset (50g root/ 250g alcohol 60 percent ) - alertness, concentration, mood, reaction time, verbal fluency, memory, adaptogen
Schisandra chinensis (250mg -1g dried fruit 2x daily) - alertness, concentration, reaction time, strenght and endurance improvement
Caffein or (theophylline has longer effect) - alertness, concentration, reaction time
DMAE (50 - 150 mg DMAE bitartat / day) - alertness, concentration, mood, antianxiety, verbal fluency
lavender (0.7g/0.7l water but I eat flower I like it :)) - antiaxiety, mood, relaxation, concentration
Siberian root extract - concentration, mood, antianxiety (dependent on dose), adaptogen (jamieson 1 caplet before learning)
linden (1.5g/0.7l water) - antiaxiety, mood, relaxation, concentration
sage (salvia) tea (1.5g/0.7l water)- antiaxiety, mood, relaxation, concentration
lemon balm tea (1.5g/0.7l water) - antiaxiety, mood, relaxation, concentration

All these I have taken and I made subjective opinion on them.

Genesis it is going to be literally impossible to make a factual list because there is so much that we do not know about memory, concentration, alertness, reaction time, mood, verbal fluency and so on. Additionally, a lot of the research investigating the effects of various drugs and plants is inconclusive and contradictory.

Hence, is making a list worthwhile? IMO, making a list like the one you are suggesting is probably of more risk than benefit.

Let's have a look at the handful of compounds you have given as examples

Piracetam - memory
Caffein - alertness, concentration, reaction time
DMAE - alertness, concentration, mood, antianxiety, verbal fluency
Siberian root extract - concentration, mood, antianxiety, adaptogen
Maral (Rhaponticum) root extract - alertness, concentration, mood, reaction time, verbal fluency, memory, adaptogen
Damiana herb - alertness, mood, concentration
lavender - antiaxiety, mood, relaxation, concentration

Can you support any of the above claims with peer reviewed well designed studies in healthy humans. I'm not just talking about citing one paper I am talking about a group of papers that categorically support the above.

With all that said, your intention to provide a resource for the members is much appreciated but in this situation it's unlikely that a reliable list can be put together

Edited by genesis svk, 07 December 2007 - 06:38 PM.

#5 spacey

• 241 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:05 PM

Wait, you're actually taking Salvia for learning?

#6 genesis svk

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:11 AM

I'm from Slovakia. Salvia in slovak language means Salvia officinalis in latin (I suppose that in english it is named sage). And yes I have used Salvia officinalis herb for learning. But it has no stimulating effect but relaxing and improve concentration and fluency of thinking. I cant confirm its effect on memory but I was able to concentrate longer.

#7 ikaros

• 334 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:49 AM

Actually divinorum anecdotally improves memory.

#8 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:01 PM

GinkGold brand ginko worked
AOR 50% bacopa worked

not drinking too much coffee worked. coffee repeatably deceases my ability to retain and mentally compute math.

im currently taking Himilaya MindCare.. only been on it for about 2 weeks, so ill check back when i finish the bottom

#9 graatch

• 390 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:19 AM

Rhaponticum sounds pretty interesting. Would you mind saying more about it?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 06:02 AM

Actually divinorum anecdotally improves memory.

certainly 5x extract will improve your memory, euh well at least something happens that you wont forget :p
But this is no erowid is it ;)

Edited by drmz, 11 December 2007 - 06:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users