Photo
- - - - -

Smoking

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Liquidus

• 446 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:12 PM

I understand that I will likely get ripped for this question, but I'm curious.

How much 'smoking' constitutes dangerous amounts for health? Some 'average' smokers smoke a pack a day (20 Cigarettes). I smoke cigarettes (I have since highschool) but I'm not addicted to them, nor can I see myself ever getting addicted to them. I smoke, on average, about 1-2 cigarettes a week at most (maybe more if I go out to a bar/pub). Generally, I only smoke on the drive home from work, and when I'm socializing (assuming the people I'm hanging around with smoke as well). Is 2-3 cigarettes a week as dangerous as a pack of day (140 cigarettes a week)?

I've been told that cigarette smoke and marijuana smoke are completely different, the latter being less dangerous on your health (in which case, I smoke much more of the latter than I do of the former). Any knowledge would be appreciated, I'm currently under the impression that 2-3 cigarettes a week is irrelevant. I'm in relative good shape, I'm not ill, and I'm not overweight, I know those factors can influence the effect of cigarette smoke.

PS. I won't get addicted to them, I don't need a lecture, I would be long addicted by now if it were the case.

Edited by G Snake, 06 December 2007 - 10:12 PM.

#2 s123

• Director
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:14 PM

Every molecule is one too much.

#3 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:23 PM

1-2 a week shouldn't be too bad, I wouldn't think. You get worse than that from breathing the smog from living in or near a big city, I would think. However, I really have no idea. I am sure you are going to get some hostile answers though.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:38 PM

Yeah, it is hard to tell. Scientists are rewarded for finding fault and so there isn't much research for small amounts. The best that you can look for is 'occasional smokers' when doing a search in pubmed or google. For what it's worth, I smoke cigars but wont smoke cigarettes.

#5 Liquidus

• Topic Starter
  • 446 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:45 PM

If it's any consolation, I live in a mining city (urban, 120,000 people) that has one of the largest smoke stacks on the planet that's constantly pumping out who knows what.

#6 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:28 PM

If it's any consolation, I live in a mining city (urban, 120,000 people) that has one of the largest smoke stacks on the planet that's constantly pumping out who knows what.

G Snake, are you in Sudbury? I went to school with a girl from Copper Cliff and she told me horror stories of the pollution.

I've been known now and then to have a cigarette, I'm talking like 6 times a year, just to remember what it feels like. Sounds silly? Yes, it is. I consider that 'damage' to be non-existent. Honestly, 2-3 smokes a week probably isn't going to kill you, but it's certainly not helping you any.

#7 Liquidus

• Topic Starter
  • 446 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:21 AM

G Snake, are you in Sudbury? I went to school with a girl from Copper Cliff and she told me horror stories of the pollution.

The Cliff, I've dated a few girls from there. Yeah I live in Sudbury, been a lifer (plan on migrating to Toronto in a few years), currently attending Laurentian University, 3rd year Law and Justice Major. The pollution can be pretty brutal, but even worse, the wind currents bring a lot of the pollution to North Bay.

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:27 AM

G Snake, you're lucky that you can smoke a little bit without getting addicted. A couple things- If you are dealing with bad air pollution, the smokes will only compound it, probably in a multiplicative rather than additive way. My take on the question of dope smoke safety is that it's usually worse than cigarettes, rather than better, but it probably depends on the weed. If it's really good so you aren't smoking much, then you're probably better off. So here's to good weed! (Strictly for reasons of health, cough cough.)

You could try an experiment: don't smoke at all for a month. See how you feel. If nothing else, you will know your addiction status more accurately. I used to smoke a little bit, so I know where you're coming from, but I was definitely addicted.

#9 ikaros

• 334 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:16 AM

Very light smoking can outweigh the damage it causes. Stress is worse than couple of cigarettes per week. Einstein for example smoked occasionally and contributed his mental agility when dealing with mindbreaking physics to relaxing puffs of tobacco.
PS. I'm no way advocating smoking, just offering an alternative view.

#10 Grimm

• 92 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:39 PM

2-3 a week? Ha! That is nothing to be worried about my friend, nothing! I smoke 4-8 daily! You have nothing to worry about! It doesn't affect me at all. Cigars are alright, and pipe tobacco is amazing. Hookah's are pretty decent, too, but cigs are the best.

I've heard that smoking a joint= smoking 5 cigs. I don't know if that's true or not, but I'm throwing it out there for the OP.

Don't worry about 3 cigs a week. You're fine!

#11 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:10 PM

Very light smoking can outweigh the damage it causes. Stress is worse than couple of cigarettes per week. Einstein for example smoked occasionally and contributed his mental agility when dealing with mindbreaking physics to relaxing puffs of tobacco.
PS. I'm no way advocating smoking, just offering an alternative view.

He smoked a pipe and cigars and not cigs. Cigar is better since the smoke is not concentrated on a particular part of the mouth. Both are way better than cigs because the smoke is cooler and you do not inhale.
See: http://cancercontrol...aphs/9/m9_4.PDF

Edited by cnorwood, 13 December 2007 - 11:18 PM.

#12 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:41 AM

I don't think any smoking is worth it, vapor, water pipe or other. One can use nicotine gum for the same effects.

#13 Alien65

• 115 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:27 AM

My intent is not to encourage smoking because reason would suggest it's not good for you. However, I am a smoker, I love smoking and never intend to quit in spite of my desire to stay healthy and youthful. Each week I bring my 96 year old father a carton of cigarettes. He is in very good health, no respiratory or heart problems and what he does all day is sit on a patio and smoke cigarettes. Likewise, I have been living in a self induced smog inversion for 45 years. As a computer programmer, I always have a cigarette burning. At my last physical, the doctor said "you obviously don't smoke, do you?". I think the ill effects of smoking depend on a number of factors including degree of inhalation (I hardly inhale at all), genetic predispostion to problems and how your "bad habits" are balanced by positive ones. I have always taken nutritional supplements, am a vegetarian and drink Brandy.
On the other hand I have a non-smoking brother who has lost a kidney to cancer and may lose his bladder (2 years older). I have another non-smoking brother with high blood pressure and heart disease. (7 years younger).
Neither ever smoked but sure ate a lot of meat.
The pharmaceutical industry makes billions of dollars from "quit smoking" drugs. My Dad tried one of these drugs and because he was also on an anti-depressant, he literally lost his mind. It took over a year for him to recover.
An interesting website is www.smokersclubinc.com. Of course it is a smokers's rights site but does provide some interesting information regarding the real and perceived dangers of smoking.

#14 infinitethought

• 17 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:44 PM

My intent is not to encourage smoking because reason would suggest it's not good for you. However, I am a smoker, I love smoking and never intend to quit in spite of my desire to stay healthy and youthful. Each week I bring my 96 year old father a carton of cigarettes. He is in very good health, no respiratory or heart problems and what he does all day is sit on a patio and smoke cigarettes. Likewise, I have been living in a self induced smog inversion for 45 years. As a computer programmer, I always have a cigarette burning. At my last physical, the doctor said "you obviously don't smoke, do you?". I think the ill effects of smoking depend on a number of factors including degree of inhalation (I hardly inhale at all), genetic predispostion to problems and how your "bad habits" are balanced by positive ones. I have always taken nutritional supplements, am a vegetarian and drink Brandy.
On the other hand I have a non-smoking brother who has lost a kidney to cancer and may lose his bladder (2 years older). I have another non-smoking brother with high blood pressure and heart disease. (7 years younger).
Neither ever smoked but sure ate a lot of meat.
The pharmaceutical industry makes billions of dollars from "quit smoking" drugs. My Dad tried one of these drugs and because he was also on an anti-depressant, he literally lost his mind. It took over a year for him to recover.
An interesting website is www.smokersclubinc.com. Of course it is a smokers's rights site but does provide some interesting information regarding the real and perceived dangers of smoking.

Alien65.
Interesting post.

I used to gobble up anything the Mainstream media gave me. I saw the "Truth" commercials and was "feared" into quitting. I stopped for awhile, but then I can't remember what it was, but I started again. (I do remember disconnecting Tivo and shutting down the TV BOX.) That was about 6 months ago. Since then I've learned a lot.

We live in a "box". This box is owned/controlled by certain Groups that hoard the money. Almost everything you see, is Planned and has ulterior motives to what you think.

Now, if I see something being drilled into the Masses, I question it heavily. Now I see, Tobacco being targeted. It's getting to be a joke ! They are pinning almost anything they can think of on to the use of Tobacco.
I took a walk outside in nature. This lady had the look of death on her face, cause she got brainwashed that my wisps of smoke, out in a huge area of nature, would somehow zero in, 40 yards or so away, and target her kids next to her.
Its ridiculous.

Same thing happened with pot. Pot is a herb that is medicinal and expands your mind. Look at the absurdity of it all. If you grow natural weed/plants, you will end up in a Federal Prison ! Its a frikkin weed for godsakes.

We have grown so non-complacent. We do not even question this blatant absurdity.
Same thing with smoking.

Consider that the American Indians used it reverentially and medicinally for thousands of years. Thousands of years. That should tell you something.

Like I said on another post, I will put my trust in the "Noble Savage" rather then men who spoke with a "forked tongue".

Edited by infinitethought, 02 January 2008 - 05:48 PM.

#15 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:09 PM

infinitethought,

Your reasoning is quite ad hominem. It is irrelevant what the "mainstream" or Native Americans think about a particular substance. All that matters is the empirical evidence, and the evidence overwhelmingly proves that smoking is both harmful and addictive. Considering it is especially dangerous for developing brains, any young people interested in intelligence enhancement ought to be aware of this.

Our bodies do have natural mechanisms for eliminating toxins. That is why occasional smokers and people who live in smoggy areas can maintain a high degree of health. Nevertheless, considering the addictive nature of tobacco, it is best to never begin. Furthermore, it can be a substantial drain on the pocketbook, especially for young people. Tack that on to how disrupting it can be for both the user and bystanders, I can't imagine the cost/benefit ratio to look very good.

#16 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:20 PM

One more thing to keep in mind, in the spirit of Overcoming Bias.

There are a couple of cognitive biases that could be getting in the way here. I notice this especially in Alien65's highly anecdotal post about smoking and health.

http://en.wikipedia....supportive_bias

http://en.wikipedia....rationalization

Mix those in with confirmation bias, and we have a real problem. As you invest more time, money, and energy into an activity, you become more likely to emphasize positive qualities and minimize negative qualities. One also becomes more likely to highlight cases, such as 90-year-old smokers, rather than presuming them to be the exception based on the mountains of contrary data.

Of course it is for all these reasons that we are not Homo economicus, but rather plain old Homo sapien. Nobody can be expected to always accurately calculate cost/benefit ratios. Yet, we should still try to maximize utility (not necessarily in the individualist sense.)

Edited by progressive, 03 January 2008 - 05:27 PM.

#17 infinitethought

• 17 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:28 PM

Like I said we live in a "box".

Who controls this "box"? Long story. This guy has researched part of it. http://www.godlikepr...essage54232/pg4

But basically it all has to do with Aristocratic groups hording power for centuries and centuries, and it keeps being handed down to their heirs. Their favorite device is Religion.
What happens when you take out the letter, "O" from GOOD?
What happens when you add the letter, "D" to EVIL?

All that exists is us. We are Infinite Beings playing this game. When you die, you go back to "Infinity". We are all equal, we've existed Forever and we're never "born". This concept was created to make this game so damn interesting. There is no "creator", except the one that created this Fantastic game. He did a damn good job, don't ya think?

In an Infinite system all things are equal.

Their really is no need for these economic strangleholds on countries and in individuals. It's all about Keep your nose to the grind, so you don't have time to figure out the "box".

Clean Earth-friendly abundant Technology exists to provide power for our toys. As you know this technology has always been shut down. This'll change soon.. All part of economic strangle holds.

This guy's conscience got to him.
Confessions of an Economic Hitman.
http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/1576753018

Of course he doesn't work for the U.S.

You live in a box. Most everything you are told are diversions, half-truths, etc. The good news is the NWO is feeling the pinch. They're on their death throes. This is the reason for all the muck in the world now. They are lashing out. 2012 was the projected completion date. Won't happen. Sorry guys.

On to our Beautiful and fellow brother, the Tobacco plant.
It is one of the most potent healing herbs man has discovered, hence this all out Dis-info Campaign against it.
Simple reasoning will tell you it's not Tobacco responsible for lung cancer. Why. Cause Lung cancer is skyrocketing in smokers AND NON-SMOKERS.

I use it to Vastly increase my already existing Acute Perception, just like my Ancient American Indian Brothers did. It IS called a Peace pipe for a reason, don't ya know.
Make sure you smoke a brand without pesticides and additives.
(These guys are good, even tho they got bought out by Big Tobacco, they're still sticking to their guns. Sante Fe Natural Tobacco Company.)

It quites your mind down so you can think. Additionally it detoxes the brain from Aluminum and Barium that the NWO are spraying on us.
http://imageevent.co...s...mp;x=0&p=14
(Site with lots of pics and info. Let it load.)

Sleep at night with an Ionic Breeze, any good brand will do. It goes beyone the .03 Micron level to keep you healthy. (Don't listen to the Campaign against Ionic Breeze. It works.)

Now if on the inside of your brain, you are yelling and screaming, this is all BS !
Then you're still in the box.
Get out.

Oh and BTW- A clue to age reversal is your magnetic fields in your body. You're aging cause they are weakened. I don't know yet if it's done on purpose or if it's because the earth fields are weakening naturally. Boost your magnetic field in the right polarities and flow and you'll start de-aging.
This guy discovered the concept. Alex Chiu. (Remember. Think outside the box. Don't listen to the dis-info.) Order them from Ebay, you'll get em faster. Put them on your feet and hands. Maximum flow. Instructions on his site. If you don't wanna spend the money, he'll show you how to make them on his site.

After 4 months of using them, you will be blown away, especially if you're older. Cause you'll see the results more dramatically.

Be Nice to each other.

#18 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:37 PM

Make sure you smoke a brand without pesticides and additives.

It would be great to have more research done on smokes with no pesticide, no additives, and wrapped in a low ammonia wrapper. It could really help those who do get hooked by making tighter restrictions on what crap they are made with. The tobacco beetle will not eat most cigs or cheap cigars. There is definitely a small range of both trial designs and findings that are politically correct.

#19 Liquidus

• Topic Starter
  • 446 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:54 PM

Well if it's any consolation to myself, I haven't purchased a pack in over a month, nor have I smoked a cigarette, the same can't be said about other particular substances, but at least half the evil is now removed.

I have a feeling that I might be getting back onto the dating scene, in that event, most girls don't like smokers, so forcing myself to get back out there will give me a good reason to avoid cigarettes altogether (unless of course, I find an amazing girl who smokes, in which case I'm not going to toss her to the curb because of her habit, that would be a bit hypocritical :)).

#20 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:09 AM

Every molecule is one too much.

/signed

#21 fanfan

• 2 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:18 AM

I am thinking about buying these cigarette filters and maybe one of these cigarette water filter pipes to try. Has anyone ever tried one of these? www.&<*%#@*§%#!.com has them on thier tobacciana page. There are two or three different types of cigarette filters and I am not sure if they are right for me. www.&<*%#@*§%#!.com is the page with all the smoking things. I would like to learn a little about these before I place an order. I heard that these are the next best thing besides quiting smoking and I ain't quiting.

(edited by Matthias: spam links removed / 3 threads merged / image added)
(Wife: Have you got anything without spam? Waitress: Well, there's spam egg sausage and spam, that's not got much spam in it.)

Attached Files

• Attached File  spam.png   11.23KB   1 downloads

Edited by Matthias, 02 August 2008 - 09:33 AM.

#22 Mixter

• 788 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:29 AM

It's better than nothing, but then everything is... I don't believe it can hold back much of the hydrophobic carcinogens like benzopyrene, or heavy metals...

Best thing next to quitting would be doing it once a day, or just a few times per week... as it probably used to be done prior to the days of mass marketing :)

#23 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:03 PM

What has this to do with cryonics?

#24 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:44 PM

What has this to do with cryonics?

Good question. I moved the thread to the Lifestyle forum.

#25 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:54 AM

I am thinking about buying these cigarette filters and maybe one of these cigarette water filter pipes to try. Has anyone ever tried one of these? http://www.&<*%/#@*%A7%#!.com has them on thier tobacciana page. There are two or three different types of cigarette filters and I am not sure if they are right for me. http://www.&<*%/#@*%A7%#!.com is the page with all the smoking things. I would like to learn a little about these before I place an order. I heard that these are the next best thing besides quiting smoking and I ain't quiting.

I really don't think these little mini-bongs are going to help much. As you probably surmised, smoking isn't going to get a lot of support around here, this being the Immortality Institute, after all, but you might want to consider chewing tobacco instead. It has an even bigger nicotine kick than cigarettes, and at least if you get mouth cancer, you will catch it early. An even better choice would be nicotine gum. You could always get the higher strength version and chew two at a time... Good luck with it; I hope you manage to get off it some day.

(edited by Matthias: links removed)

Edited by Matthias, 02 August 2008 - 07:53 AM.

#26 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:40 AM

Tobacco smoke is a potent carcinogen. I remember reading somewhere that is no safe level for tobacco smoke and that smoke at any concentration can cause cancer.

Re. cigars: mouth cancer is no fun.

If you really need to smoke you should be smoking electronic cigarettes. It's the same hit of nicotine, you breath out a cloud of vapor and apparently they're even flavoured like tobacco. Do a google search for electronic cigarette. I think it's actually cheaper than smoking tabacoo, depending of course which country you're from.

#27 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:51 AM

Tobacco smoke is a potent carcinogen. I remember reading somewhere that is no safe level for tobacco smoke and that smoke at any concentration can cause cancer.

By that logic, I guess pretty much anything can cause cancer at any concentration?

I don't smoke but am still opposed to the smoking ban, simply because it violates the rights of the property owner to use his property as he/she sees fit. You don't like smoke in bars? Great, stay at home or start your own bar. Granted, hanging out in bars and clubs is a lot easier for me these days because of the ban, but just because it's easier for me doesn't make it right.

#28 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:16 PM

<br />

<br /><br />By that logic, I guess pretty much anything can cause cancer at any concentration?<br /><br />I don't smoke but am still opposed to the smoking ban, simply because it violates the rights of the property owner to use his property as he/she sees fit. You don't like smoke in bars? Great, stay at home or start your own bar. Granted, hanging out in bars and clubs is a lot easier for me these days because of the ban, but just because it's easier for me doesn't make it right.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

What even flowers?

#29 goodman

• 171 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:25 PM

Smoking

do you guys recall this one fellow on here who thought smoking is good and increases lifespan etc.?
he actually listed a lot of good studies that underlined his claim..
so what was the final conclusion? is he right, is he totally wrong
what's your guys's thought on smoking?

(edited by Matthias: threads 25480 & 19260 merged)

Edited by Matthias, 10 November 2008 - 01:39 PM.

#30 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:11 PM

never saw the thread but i can tells you most assuredly he is an idiot

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users