Photo
- - - - -

Finding people less annoying

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:37 AM

Sometimes people say and do things that really annoy me. For example when I asked a customer a question they responded with

"that's a negative" instead of just answering a question with a "no, sorry it's not" or something like that and for some reason that triggered some kind of response in my brain
that made me slightly annoyed and gradually made me feel more annoyed as the call went on making it difficult for me to help the customer. There was more stuff but I won't go into it that much. It's also possible the customer wasn't really keen to co-operate in troubleshooting to start with but starting to feel slighly annoyed didn't help me encourage them to co-operate.

I'm wondering if anyone know what GABBA receptors would have triggered such a response and what could be done to even it out.

I do understand that sometimes annoyance helps warn us to avoid things before they get to bad e.g. makes you realise to replace
an old unstable PC with a new one but it doesn't help you if you get angry and break something in the meantime.

I'm chasing removing irrational and destructive responses to things that are annoying without
losing the realisation that a rational decision about how to fix a problem and the right way to go about it needs to be made.

#2 stillalive

• 28 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:30 PM

I definitely think that cortisol is involved, because if you are stressed you become really easy annoyed.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:41 PM

If you are asking how to work at a help desk providing tech support without becoming annoyed with people, I think you are asking the impossible -- that is the nature of the position. Relief will come in the form of promotion to a higher rung on the I.T. ladder.

• Lurker

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:04 PM

Sometimes people say and do things that really annoy me. For example when I asked a customer a question they responded with "that's a negative" instead of just answering a question with a "no, sorry it's not" or something like that and

I think I'd probably find that annoying as well.

#5 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:07 PM

If you are asking how to work at a help desk providing tech support without becoming annoyed with people, I think you are asking the impossible -- that is the nature of the position.

I have seen many a great man turn into cynical and jaded fat bodies after a year of tech support.

I would make sure to get enough sleep, stay hydrated and fit, have a meditation regimen, and maybe consider an adaptogen.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:15 AM

If they are not happy hand ball them on to your supervisor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users