- - - - -

ImmInst 2008 Conference

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:52 PM

On the last Sunday of this year, a chat with Mind is planned revolving around another ImmInst conference for 2008.

http://www.imminst.o...amp;event_id=97

As many people know, the last one was in Nov. 2005 and was a success.

This thread is for any ideas that members have regarding any aspect of organizing another one this upcoming year.

Edited by shepard, 20 December 2007 - 11:53 PM.

#2 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:28 AM

Working w/ WTA's James Clement on a cooperative event in Silicon Valley... may be worthwhile.

James joins us for a chat Dec 23.

#3 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 07:50 PM

As far as places go...three have come to mind.

New York/east coast metropolis area. A lot of members there, not too far from Europe.

Silicon Valley/Cali/San Fran. A lot of members there, nice weather, may draw open minded forward thinking people from the general public.

Vegas. Built for conferences, close to the west coast (a lot of members), dirt cheap airfare from anywhere in the country, relatively cheap hotel rooms, and it is a draw all in itself...everyone has fun in Vegas.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Shepard

• Topic Starter
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:35 PM

Vegas. Built for conferences, close to the west coast (a lot of members), dirt cheap airfare from anywhere in the country, relatively cheap hotel rooms, and it is a draw all in itself...everyone has fun in Vegas.

I can't think of a single flaw in this idea.

#5 kent23

• 146 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:39 AM

How do people feel about the "unconference" format, as described here:

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Unconference

?

#6 Mind

• 19,058 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:37 PM

Aubrey De Grey has expressed interest in presenting at the 2008 Imminst conference.

#7 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:40 PM

How do people feel about the "unconference" format, as described here:

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Unconference

?

To date, the term is primarily in use in the geek community.

Yup, that fits very well.... :)

#8 Mind

• 19,058 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:06 AM

As stated here, the chat about the conference will start at 3:30pm CST (21:30 GMT).

Besides the topics listed in this thread so far, I would also like to get everyone's thoughts about a combined conference with the WTA, Foresight, etc...

#9 Mind

• 19,058 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:08 AM

As far as time of year. I am leaning toward late September or during October. November is a poor month for me because of my day job.

#10 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:01 PM

November is a bad month all around for conferences and should not be considered for anytime after the first weekend of the month. Travel is harder, accommodations go seasonal and the weather turns foul up north randomly. December is even worse.

I like late Sept or no later than mid Oct because it is a time when it is easy to travel, rates are lower (off season) and conflicting personal and professional obligations tend to be less for people.

I also like the idea of the Bay Area near Berkley, Stanford, or further south at Cal Tech even though the NYC area is also an option and would be great for me.

BTW, I think we should also put Chicago on the list of places to consider, or even Madison.

#11 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:28 AM

I'd vote for Vegas :p -- but I'd also add Washington D.C. into the line-up it also has inexpensive air-fare, lodging, and area attractions (Smithsonian exhibits).

#12 Andrew Shevchuk

• 75 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:19 PM

NYC or D.C. are easiest for me, but I also think it would be worth it for me to try and get out to California. Then I can network some out there before officially applying to graduate schools. In either case late September to mid October are not good times for me (the semester will be in full swing then) but I'd just have to handle it. Just my luck that it'll end up being the date I have to take my GREs though. :p

Edited by Andrew Shevchuk, 01 January 2008 - 06:19 PM.

#13 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:10 PM

One issue that I did raise during the chat didn't get to much reflection since I was to late (I guess).

What are we thinking about a virtual conference, either as an alternative or as a complementary feature?
Some of us will not be able to attend physically due to travel distance and cost.

Edited by brainbox, 01 January 2008 - 09:11 PM.

#14 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:11 PM

vegas!

I can get some time in with my Shifu

#15 Mind

• 19,058 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:51 PM

Here is the conference chat log. Many interesting ideas. I see a few people interested in Vegas. I like it because of the reasons first listed above. Lazarus thought Vegas might "cheapen" our image. Maybe.

Attached Files

#16 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:08 AM

That was my prob. with Vegas, but I knew D.C. has some inexpensive flights and a better image... of course I really thing this decision should be up to the people willing to put the most hours into volunteering--it should be near their homes.

#17 Neurosail

• Life Member, F@H
  • 311 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:41 AM

Several Imminst members live in the Dallas Texas area. Dallas airport is a main hub for airlines, so it might be cheaper to fly there.
Tutankamun will be at the Dallas Museum of Art starting in October. :p

#18 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:28 AM

Here is the conference chat log. Many interesting ideas. I see a few people interested in Vegas. I like it because of the reasons first listed above. Lazarus thought Vegas might "cheapen" our image. Maybe.

I don't think vegas would cheapen our image. Lots of big well to do conferences are held there.

#19 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:32 AM

still. The bay area would probably be good.

#20 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:59 PM

yeah let me know what's happening so I can book a flight and get time off work. Actually if anyone knows the cheapest way to get from Perth (Australia) to Vegas (if that's where the conf is) please message me.

Edited by caston, 02 January 2008 - 02:11 PM.

#21 Mind

• 19,058 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:13 PM

Here is what needs to happen yet before we can set a date and a place. WTA and Foresight (and Imminst board) has to vote whether or not to have a combined conference. WTA is having elections this month, we might have to wait until these are done. Then we will have a discussion/vote on the date and place.

#22 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:21 PM

What about inviting others such as Accelerated Change? I'm all for a combined conference, it would be great to have a larger gathering and might pull in more press.

#23 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:05 PM

vegas!

I can get some time in with my Shifu

I had to google that. When I first read it I thought you said Shitzu.

Posted Image

#24 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:57 PM

I love the idea of a joint conference and I love the proposed locations (leaning toward the Bay area or Vegas).

I do however have a few thoughts about the WTA: Their Transvision conference in Chicago was a logistical nightmare. I know they were in the midst of changing leadership, but they also had financial problems in dealing with the hotel causing them to change the venue at the last minute. Then they paid exorbitant fees to speakers (ie William Shatner) but did not do the work needed to alert the press, causing the WTA to ultimately lose money. (It also looked bad that the room was only about 1/3 full.) The fact that the conference happened at all is due mainly to Ray Kurzweil's former assistant Celia Black who did an excellent job piecing together what would have been a complete disaster.

If we go with the WTA, we must work hard to ensure our conference does not end up like Transvision, which means we must be able to stand on our own if they fall through. Our first conference was a great success and packed in quite a lot into one day. I'd like to see us top what we did before, while still providing that relaxing environment that encouraged participants to stay up til 3 or 4 am talking about everything.

#25 Mind

• 19,058 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:02 PM

Yes, it was a good conference in 2005. Many thanks to Bruce and all the volunteers.

I did like sitting up late Saturday night and discussing things. It would be nice to have that again. Therefore we should make sure the panels end at 5pm, on Friday/Saturday, then have a meal, then have informal discussion areas/lounges for late at night.

#26 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:28 PM

I like the Vegas idea. I have a lot of sinning I need to do there before I die.

#27 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:03 PM

My problem with Vegas was not so much with the cheapening of our image, which I think it does BTW but not all that much for all the reasons already addressed. My main issue is that we are overlooking the importance of how the venue works for recruitment. I doubt we can attract much secondary and off the street interest in Vegas for the conference and never as much as we will get from a high tech university community.

I have already seen how these walk in have turned into long term members in the past so the importance of this should not be overlooked. Las Vegas is all about distraction and while our members may stay focused on topic the Disneyland of Sin is a place people go to get away from topics like ours and I doubt we can pick up much walk-in and outside community interest at all.

#28 Shepard

• Topic Starter
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:17 PM

I've never met a stripper that wanted to get old.

#29 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:27 PM

I've never met a stripper that wanted to get old.

An untapped market, no doubt. Maybe we can get some to be MPrize contributors.

#30 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:30 AM

Laz does have a point about walk-ins. I would love to be on or near a university campus where we can pull in a few dozen students (and professors!). That makes me think of San Fran, though there is a university in Vegas. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users