• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Open Source Brain-Computer Interfacing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:33 AM

There is a really interesting project, called iPlant, which has the lofty goal of allowing people to reprogram their brains however they wish.

I also found an Open Source specification for a programmable EEG chip.

Thoughts? Any other projects out there? Making sure this technology is about as decentralized and open source as possible should be a primary goal. It sure beats the alternative of fully secretive and proprietary designs. DRM is enough of a problem for music... imagine DRM for your brain... eeek!

• Lurker

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:40 AM

I don't know about that iPlant thing. Looks a bit scary to me. Through exercise and nutrition I seem to have a pretty good handle on my moods. It could be a liability if someone else could control its operation.

I used an EEG as a biofeedback device in school. A small cheap portable unit would be nice. Shouldn't be anything all that intrusive about using it for brain-computer interface. I found after working with extremity temperature and Galvanic skin response biofeedback devices, that are cheap and easy to build, I was able to master the EEG right away to produce various brain wave patterns at will. I kind of wonder as to its interface utility as I think it would be kind of gruff, lacking resolution and necessitating brain wave changes that might not be wanted, perhaps. Looks like CAT scans might hold utility if the radiation thing could be minimized sufficiently.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 dr_chaos

• 143 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 07:40 AM

http://openeeg.sourc.../doc/index.html
There is OpenEEG but unfortunately the project is dead. They didn't come out with anything new since the last time I looked at their page one year ago. I don't have an OpenEEG, so I don't know whether it's working. But maybe I'll build one.

There is a really interesting project, called iPlant, which has the lofty goal of allowing people to reprogram their brains however they wish.

I don't believe this implants to mess around with the human dopaminergic system are helpful. Because of several reasons: First there are many Drugs that achieve the same effects in a much simpler and safer way. Second, I doubt the impact of this implants would justify their risks. Third, who will be the volunteering surgeon who implants the iPlant with his volunteering team in his voluntarily sponsored operation room? Fourth, who will donate his health to an internet project...

Edited by dr_chaos, 04 January 2008 - 08:15 AM.

#4 poser

• Guest, F@H
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:19 PM

I don't believe this implants to mess around with the human dopaminergic system are helpful. Because of several reasons: First there are many Drugs that achieve the same effects in a much simpler and safer way. Second, I doubt the impact of this implants would justify their risks. Third, who will be the volunteering surgeon who implants the iPlant with his volunteering team in his voluntarily sponsored operation room? Fourth, who will donate his health to an internet project...

1. No, there aren't. The goal of iPlant is to make, for example, a person exercise 1-2 hours a day without any problems, and thoroughly enjoy it. There is no drug that does the same to my knowledge. I suppose even taking amphetamine might not sustain this kind of exercise regime for a long time.

2. What do you think will be the 'impact' (do you mean effect?) of iPlants? What do you think are the risks?

3. When iPlant will be medically available, I'm pretty sure that the same surgeons who do other implant surgeries would without any real problems avail themselves for the job.

4. This is a bit silly. Is the Immortality Institute an internet project just because it has a web site? No. iPlant is going to be a viable, medically correct option first for sick people, then for healthy people.

#5 poser

• Guest, F@H
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:21 PM

I don't know about that iPlant thing. Looks a bit scary to me. Through exercise and nutrition I seem to have a pretty good handle on my moods.

You say you can control your moods pretty well, but you can't imagine experiencing more pleasure from your activities? That is one thing that iPlant would do.

• Lurker

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:30 PM

That is one thing that iPlant would do.

Key word: would. Future tense. I'll be more impressed when they show some results, not talk about all fantastic the results they "would" have.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#7 poser

• Guest, F@H
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:00 PM

Key word: would. Future tense. I'll be more impressed when they show some results, not talk about all fantastic the results they "would" have.

If we are to believe Christopher Harris, the technology already exists. Rats have already been made to receive rewards from learning stuff and exercising. The next phase would be to see if the networks work for chimps/monkeys and then ultimately humans. It's really not that far off.

If we'd all sit on our backsides and just wait for science to bring us something like iPlant, it would probably take longer than when people promote the idea actively. Currently medication for obesity for example are far from optimal solutions, we just need to remove the obstacles (ethical, etc.) in people's minds and in practise (governmental moderation to practically prevent hackering,e tc.) and we have set a mighty ball on its' way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users