newish cryonics idea

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:03 PM

cryonics idea
radiopreserved food lasts a long time

radiation sterilized tissue kept at just above the ice nucleation temp may have multimonth resuscitatable organs plus multidecade less tissue disruption than freezing which changes volume

protocol: zap, keep at just above ice nucleation temp until tissue damage about = freezing, then freeze

people that like cryonics thing big computers will put you back together

Radiation primarily harms cytes doing active transcription; perhaps there is a transcription quieting drug that could be given to test mammals prior to their radiation sterilization

Edited by Mind, 16 January 2008 - 10:02 PM.

#2 treonsverdery

• Topic Starter
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:12 AM

one of the possible benefits of the radiopreservation aspect would be time to apply enzymatic chelators, if such things are creatable, to block the various apoptosis chemcal cascades then (ewwwww) section the brain to minimal freeze stress size pieces

#3 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:04 PM

By far the biggest concern is not microbial growth in tissues, but massive cellular disruption by enzymes and other chemicals already present, and just the lack of active processes which work hard to maintain homeostasis. Cryopreservation arrests all these processes.

With irradiation you might be able to preserve gross morphology, but the chances of preventing information theoretic death are almost nil in my opinion. Even straight freezing would be preferred (with no cryoprotectants).

#4 treonsverdery

• Topic Starter
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 06:44 PM

By far the biggest concern is not microbial growth in tissues, but massive cellular disruption by enzymes and other chemicals already present, and just the lack of active processes which work hard to maintain homeostasis. Cryopreservation arrests all these processes.

With irradiation you might be able to preserve gross morphology, but the chances of preventing information theoretic death are almost nil in my opinion. Even straight freezing would be preferred (with no cryoprotectants).

You are likely right; even if freeze fracture ocurred at every membrane the nonreversible chemical combinations of being at 32.0000001 have much higher data obliteration

part of the idea was based based on the idea that frozen chicken tastes more peculiar than radiation sterilized chicken; I thought perhaps my tongue might be sensing a wide range of chemical changes from the freeze thaw process; its plausible that [freeze fracture then thaw, then rest at room temp] is more enzymatically active than radiation sterilized chicken with enzymes sequesterd at non freeze fracture membranes then a few months at room temp

I was just impressed that a few hours of thaw post freezing had more detectable peculiarity than a few months of radiation sterilized room temp

on a humorous note that suggests cryopreserved persons should avoid thawing then sitting around a few hours at room temp

Edited by treonsverdery, 16 January 2008 - 07:02 PM.

#5 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,082 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:06 PM

During the long time frames that the body will be preserved, many years, many decades, physical and chemical processes/changes will still occur at 32 degrees. Enough so that the informational integrity of the person would be changed dramatically. At liquid nitrogen temps virtually nothing happens/changes on the time scale of decades.

#6 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:10 PM

I do wish it was easier to get irradiated food though. Great for stocking up. I hate having to grocery shop so much :)

#7 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 05:26 AM

I do wish it was easier to get irradiated food though. Great for stocking up. I hate having to grocery shop so much :)

I'd love to have my own machine similar to a microwave that would irradiate anything on command.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users