• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 tardigrade

• 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:05 PM

Robert Evans
Married (August 2007)
29 years old (August 2007)

Hopefully I'll finish an A.S. in Biotechnology from Ivy Tech (the community college system of Indiana) within the next semester or two (by fall of 2008). To graduate, I need an internship with a Biotech company/lab/organization, and would obviously greatly prefer an organization working somewhere in fields directly related to the Science of Aging, Immortality, etc.... I would prefer to work 50 - 60 hours a week (at least to start), and am willing to work at US minimum wage if I can be guaranteed 60 hours a week. Location within the US or countries which would allow me a work VISA are unimportant, wherever is probably good. Vacations (except maybe once a year, or so) are unnecessary and undesirable to me, minimal health insurance would be nice though. If anyone could point me to potential internships, organizations I could apply to for an internship, or anything else pertinent (ie. advice which will help me get what I need), I would be grateful.

I really don't care if I finish this degree, I just want to work somewhere in my field - I need to be able to immerse myself in it for extended periods of time. I'm not adverse to working in the BioSciences on the side, or as a hobby (if someone could tell me whether that is possible, and how), but would greatly prefer the ability-to-learn, expertise, equipment and other resources of the research, industrial and/or academic community. If it's necessary (to really work in this field), I'll try for a B.S. again (or a Ph.D.), but would greatly prefer not to have to go that route anymore - I'm burning out on the organizational structure of conventional academic courses (which only minimally parallel actual work environments), and already feel that too much time has passed by in "empty" "Prep work". I want to do real work, and learn or relearn on the job and in my free time.

The paragraphs below are much less important (IMO) than those above.

A little about me (mostly scholastics):
Born in Guam, moved to Washington state at age 1.5 years, spent 6 months in China with my mom (an exchange teacher) between the ages of 12 and 13.

Matrixed into the gifted program in 2nd grade.

At the age of 10 I realized that no matter how long I lived I would never have enough time to learn the things I want to learn or do the things I want to do. Though I did not know the term for the field of study I wished to pursue, I knew what it was. Over the ensuing years, the feel of a lack of time expanded into thinking even a linear infinite lifespan could not be enough.

Did quite well in Pacific Lutheran Universities "Summer Scholars" biology program in 1994. I would like it if program's such as this were available in regular college too, as it worked pretty well with my learning/work style (6 hours a day for 5 days/week).

My senior year of High school I won it's AHSME by 10 points (115), and American Invitational Mathematics Examination tied with the other person who took it (a hyper accelerated 7th grader - mathematically brilliant person) - 30 points. 99th %-ile ACT scores my senior year (34 and 35 in Science Reasoning and Reading, dual 29s in Math and English) - the best of my standardized test scores (as a composite - I did better in Math my junior year).

Did a year of college-in-high school at Olympic College - Bremerton, Washington state. I did ok, but got mostly Bs and Cs. Went to Florida Tech the following year, University Withdrew a year and a half later. I rebounded back to Olympic College for a couple quarters and did well, but was taking random interesting classes instead of degree track classes. Dropped out of college again, then went to Western Washington University for a brief stint.

I have consistent problems with writing up lab reports (especially in physics - a nasty writer's block) that I have begun learning to deal with.

I stopped going to school for a while, worked and lived with my parents and continued my studies in personality psychology (focusing in the Enneagram of personality and J.P. Guilford, though I spent a couple years with the DSM-IV and Jung and it's derivatives). I would like to continue this research in my free time, as I've just (in the last 2 and a half years) reached the point where I can add original research and research "project" ideas to the field.

Dealt with my psychological issues, moved to Indiana from Washington state to meet a person I met online (at a psychology-oriented forum), married her, and got started in this Biotech program. The second semester (and first full-time semester) there: Work, School and commuting used up ~85-90 hours in a regular week. I was tired, out-of-it and procrastinatory enough (time flies) during Thanksgiving and other breaks I never caught up writing up the lab books (most of this was kept written in the lab data book - a no-no, but the best I could manage at the time). I have trouble shifting from work/class, to non-work, to homework - though I managed to do some of this, and think I can handle it with a lighter and more focused weekly load (say, 60 hours a week at one job plus my home life vs juggling 2 jobs and classes at two campuses involving 3+ hours commute 2 days a week). I ended up getting straight-B's (amazing, I think I habitually overestimate what college courses require, in all but a handful of instances. I expected B/C's and maybe a D). I've now started the third semester, which is the last (AFAIK) before internship and graduation. Having quit one job should help me do better this semester.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users