• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Is anybody here for Obama?

• Please log in to reply
312 replies to this topic

#1 biknut

• 1,892 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:58 AM

I was wondering how much support Barack Obama has on the forum. He's getting a lot of support from young people, more than Hellery.

Even though I've never voted for a Democrat I have to admit, Obama is an interesting proposition. I can't really tell why I like him. From what I've heard he's supposed to be even more left wing than Clinton. Still I like the way way he promotes himself. He seems to me like the kind of guy that would surround himself with intelligent people, and maybe even listen to them. He doesn't seem like he'd do things to this country that half of everybody would hate, unlike most.

I really hate the way Clinton has been campaigning against him. I think the Clinton's have tried to set him up as the black candidate against the white one. Just what I'd expect Democrats to do. That's typical dirty tricks, but Clinton could win because of it.

But today news came out that may change that. Ted Kennedy is going to endorse Obama tomorrow. He's also going to announce that he's going to actively campaign for Obama. He said that a big part of his decision to do this is because of the way the Clinton's have run their campaign against him. This is probably the first time in my life that I've agreed with anything Ted Kennedy has done. It reminds me of someone coming to the aide of a person being threatened by a powerful bully. It just seems like the right thing to do, because Obama can't do anything about being black, but he may be able to end up doing a great deal about reducing racial prejudice in this country if he gets the nomination.

Either that, or maybe I'm just going soft in my old age.

#2 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:06 AM

I can't say that he's my favorite candidate (Ron Paul is), but I definitely hope he gets the nomination instead of Hillary Clinton. :)

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:17 AM

I was wondering how much support Barack Obama has on the forum. He's getting a lot of support from young people, more than Hellery.

He's got my vote, biknut. I think he would bring the country together, as opposed to the further division that Clinton would engender. Electing Obama would go a long way toward rescuing America's tarnished image in much of the world. Obama represents the future, while Clinton and any of the Republicans that have a chance of winning represent the past. I don't say this on the basis of their likely policy prescriptions, but rather on the social/cultural baggage they have hanging around their necks. (And their policies, in some cases.) I gotta say, this is just an amazing political season, like nothing in my life.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Alien65

• 115 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:24 AM

I personally don't think Obama is qualified to be President. A couple of years as a state legislator and U.S. Senate is not sufficient. We don't need another "on the job" training President. Not that Hillary is that much more qualified but, in this big bad world, there is something to be said for a member of the establishment. Obama (and maybe Hillary too) are political super stars created by the talking heads in this country. The best and most qualified candidates didn't have a chance. Regardless of who becomes President the future is bleak for our country. A major war in the middle east is inevitable in the next few years. A serious economic recession has already started and will not be fixed by interest rate cuts or hand outs this time around. What seemed to work after 9/11 actually got us into this mess. I will vote for whoever the democratic candidate is even if I have to hold my nose. After 8 years of G.W.B. and the republicans, things in the world are so f..ked up I doubt anyone can straighten it out.

#5 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:34 PM

I think he's the best choice for improving America's international reputation.

#6 biknut

• Topic Starter
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 03:24 PM

I think if Obama were to win the presidentcy it would be the most uplifting, encourgeing. and empowering thing that has ever happened for blacks in history.

It would be hard to claim repression, if that's the right word, after a black American becomes President of the United States. It would go a long way toward putting the Jesse Jackson's of the world out of business. I think that's a big reason why the black leaders have been so slow to endorse Obama. I think their fear of him is based on an assumption that he might actually improve their lot rather than keep them enslaved on welfare for all eternity like they want do.

• Lurker

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:32 PM

I think that is a bit naive. The cartoon at the following link expresses some of my feelings:

http://www.cartoonis...d.php?iid=15931

#8 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:57 PM

I think that is a bit naive. The cartoon at the following link expresses some of my feelings:

Well you have to remember 90% of the worlds population is naive with little or no education. The fact that Obama is a half Muslim African American would definitely have some sort of impact in Africa, Asia and the Middle East. While I agree with you that this is very racist and very ignorant ... it's the truth. People are really this dumb. Half of the people who support Hillary Clinton for instance do so simply because she's a famous woman. And people who support Mitt Romney or John McCain do so because they're pro-religion.

People should not judge a person simply by looks, sex and religion. We have to look at what they stand for and what policies they support. Simply saying "I'm going to vote Republican because they want to lower taxes" is not enough.

#9 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:27 PM

For me, on the like-ability scale, Obama is way ahead of the Clintons. I can't put my finger on exactly why...just is.

#10 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:41 PM

I don't understand the cartoon... The guy on the tv sort of looks like Bill Clinton... He's implying America under Hillary would be "unreliable"? America under Obama? Needs more context.

#11 happy

• 103 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:27 PM

I'm a student organizer on my college campus for Obama and a majority of my co-workers and friends are voting for Obama on Feb 5 (California)

• Lurker

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:15 AM

I don't understand the cartoon... The guy on the tv sort of looks like Bill Clinton... He's implying America under Hillary would be "unreliable"? America under Obama? Needs more context.

The context would be the desirability of a speedy withdraw from Iraq without regard to the situation on the ground and how people of various political stripes in the U.S. believe that might affect international opinion of the United States.

Edited by ludongbin, 29 January 2008 - 12:19 AM.

#13 rodentman

• 208 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:50 AM

Theres very little difference between the stances of Hillary and Obama. I'd prefer Hillary, because her gender would piss off Muslims. HAHAHAHAAA

I hate all the candidates on all sides. I'm voting for Pedro.

RodentMan

#14 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:16 AM

The context would be the desirability of a speedy withdraw from Iraq without regard to the situation on the ground and how people of various political stripes in the U.S. believe that might affect international opinion of the United States.

So now all of a sudden those people care about what the rest of the world thinks? That's a switch...

#15 Andrew Shevchuk

• 75 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:39 AM

I am voting for Barack Obama. He's change I can believe in. :)

#16 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:07 AM

Theres very little difference between the stances of Hillary and Obama. I'd prefer Hillary, because her gender would piss off Muslims. HAHAHAHAAA

I hate all the candidates on all sides. I'm voting for Pedro.

RodentMan

I don't really care for either one to be honest. I think Romney would do the best job. However, if I had to choose, I would vote Obama over Clinton. Only because of where they draw their support. The upper and educated people are for Obama. The lower and middle class are for Hillary. I'll put my vote with the brains. But at the end of the day, they are both politicians. How come engineers and scientists don't get elected?

Edited by Ghostrider, 29 January 2008 - 05:09 AM.

#17 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:57 AM

I'll put my vote with the brains.

Then why not vote for Ron Paul?

#18 Alien65

• 115 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:03 AM

I am voting for Barack Obama. He's change I can believe in. ;)

Change to WHAT? Do you have a clue? The man is a good speaker (like Baptist ministers) but what are his policies? He may be a good candidate but I don't have enough information about his record in the state legislator or senate to know. Our media does not convey information about candidates, only hype.
Hillary, on the other hand, will be a good republocrat like Bill Clinton who had a successful presidency (except for some indiscretions) and is respected the world over.
Americans voted for change in 2002 and look what we bought? God (if he still exists) help us to get out of this mess.

Edited by Alien65, 29 January 2008 - 06:09 AM.

#19 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:11 AM

...and is respected the world over.

I'll take it that you've never lived outside of the United States.

Other then a couple of left wing hippies in Europe, the world really doesn't like her.

#20 Alien65

• 115 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:16 AM

...and is respected the world over.

I'll take it that you've never lived outside of the United States.

Other then a couple of left wing hippies in Europe, the world really doesn't like her.

Sorry, I'm talking about Bill.

#21 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:22 AM

I'd vote for Obama over Hillary.

Being a (socially liberal, fiscally conservative, progressively realist foreign policy person) libertarian, I wish that Congress (who holds the purse-strings) was more conservative and the presidency (which has more to do with Supreme Court appointments, foreign policy, etc.) was more liberal. I think they will both be Democratic and swaying liberal in this next election, however. Aaaah, well, I never get what I want anyway. ;)

#22 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:24 AM

Btw, Hillary Clinton voted for the Iraq war and even voted to continue funding it. She even voted for the patriot act!

Not to mention that she also supports the death penalty, net neutrality, the No Child Left Behind program, and is against same sex marriages.

The only thing she cares about is party loyalties and lobbyists, much like the Republican Party. ;)

The only good candidates (if you do your research) are:

1. Ron Paul
2. Mike Gravel
3. Barak Obama

Edited by Kostas, 29 January 2008 - 06:28 AM.

#23 Alien65

• 115 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 06:40 AM

Btw, Hillary Clinton voted for the Iraq war and even voted to continue funding it. She even voted for the patriot act!

Not to mention that she also supports the death penalty, net neutrality, the No Child Left Behind program, and is against same sex marriages.

The only thing she cares about is party loyalties and lobbyists, much like the Republican Party. ;)

1. Ron Paul
2. Mike Gravel
3. Barak Obama

If you do your research you will find Barack Obama also voted to continue funding the war.

Now Mike Gravel, I like.

No president will accomplish anything without working within the establishment. That means party, lobbyists and loyalists. The key to a good president is one who can manipulate and compromise with the establishment for results that provide for the common good.

Same sex marriage is silly. I could care less from a religious standpoint because I loath religion. But when it comes to marriage laws regarding taxes and social security, I have a problem. Consensual union laws regarding hospital visitation rights, etc. make sense for any group of people be they straight, gay or just best friends.

Edited by Alien65, 29 January 2008 - 06:59 AM.

#24 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:27 AM

I'll put my vote with the brains.

Then why not vote for Ron Paul?

I would actually, but at this point, I don't think he has much of a chance of winning, then again, I don't like the rationality of voting for the 2st or 3nd place pick because he/she has the best chance of winning...it's logical, but insincere. I think these elections should be decided by elimination. That's the only fair way to do it. At least for the primary, they could allow vote by Internet.

#25 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:29 AM

1. Ron Paul
2. Mike Gravel
3. Barak Obama

If you do your research you will find Barack Obama also voted to continue funding the war.

Now Mike Gravel, I like.

No president will accomplish anything without working within the establishment. That means party, lobbyists and loyalists. The key to a good president is one who can manipulate and compromise with the establishment for results that provide for the common good.

Same sex marriage is silly. I could care less from a religious standpoint because I loath religion. But when it comes to marriage laws regarding taxes and social security, I have a problem. Consensual union laws regarding hospital visitation rights, etc. make sense for any group of people be they straight, gay or just best friends.

The main reason that I am against Hillary is because she is endorsed by labor unions...that can't be good.

I think the simplest way to solve the marriage problem is to remove all benefits for being married...just treat people as individuals like they should be treated. I have thought about trying to find a young women from a foreign country just beginning school in the US to marry "only legally". As in it would only be for mutual benefit, nothing long-term. We would basically live separately, probably rarely contact each other, but after marrying her, she would become a resident of the US which then opens up financial aid and much easier job placement after school (it's harder for companies to hire international students vs. resident). For me, since she would not be earning much money, I save on taxes by filing jointly. It could be a win-win.

Edited by Ghostrider, 29 January 2008 - 08:39 AM.

#26 tamalak

• 73 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:58 PM

I'm a passionate supporter of Obama. He crushes Hillary in the areas of substance, credentials, rhetoric, charisma and honesty. He will unite the left and divide the right. Hillary would divide the left and unite the right.

I'm going to be canvassing for him in Delaware on Monday/Tuesday. I've never given a damn about the primaries before.

#27 technico

• 46 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:19 PM

Obama/Edwards vs McCain/Guiliani vs Paul/Bloomberg

Now that would be an interesting race.

I'd bet on Obama to win that one.

For the record - anybody who still thinks the President is really in charge hasn't been paying attention for the last seven years.
He's a figurehead who can guide certain things in a particular direction - but until they actually invoke EO 11051, his primary role is to make everybody feel safe enough to participate actively in the consumerist economy. After EO11051, well then, whomever heads FEMA is in charge. We don't vote for that person - but the president gets to pick him or her.

That is, if the current regime doesn't invoke EO 11051 prior to the elections...

#28 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:02 PM

I haven't voted democrat or republican in four elections, but I'm strongly leaning toward Obama. If anything, he seems far more intelligent and educated that the other legit contenders. I see both parties as inherently and deeply corrupt, but he seems to be enough of an outsider to possibly avoid falling prey to the political system.

#29 s123

• Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:49 AM

I think that Hillary will support research more than Obama. But I'm not an American and I haven't studied the candidates, so I could be wrong. Still, I think that Hillary is the best candidate.
Let’s not forget what Clinton once said: “We want to live forever, and we're getting there".
Hopefully Hillary has the same ideas as her husband. ;)

#30 david ellis

• 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:26 PM

Obama is a black Lieberman without the experience. Google "Obama Lieberman" and see what I mean. Obama's health plan and social security reform are straight out of the republican playbook. If the republicans weren't so fussy about ideological purity Obama would be a republican. Give Obama time and he will probably end up in the republican party.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users