Photo
- - - - -

Deprenyl Dosage

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:54 PM

Dr. Knoll's interview caught my interest and got me poking around the internet reading about deprenyl. Ultimately I decided to try it primarily for the potential life extension benefit and the welcomed nootropic effect. I am 23 which it seems a lot of people feel is too young to start taking it, however in rat studies, mice have treatment begun at the human equivilent age of 15 and experienced robust life extension.

Dosage is crucial for life extension:

Dr. Kitani and colleagues, who conducted the second control survival study with deprenyl, also used Fischer 344 rats. They obviously considered that these rats are shorter living than the Wistar-Logan rats, and they started to work with one and a half year old rats. This was an advantageous change in the experimental conditions and found a satisfyingly significant, thirty-four percent prolongation of the average life span.

However, in the hope to increase the effectiveness of their treatment they doubled the dose of deprenyl. Although a higher dose is usually more effective than a lower one, the doubling of the dose was in this special case an unfavorable change. We know now that 0.01 milligrams per kilogram of deprenyl is sufficient to exert an enhancer effect. Thus the 0.5 milligrams per kilogram dose was obviously enormously high, and this explains why Kitani and colleagues found no sign of the significant extension in the longest survival which appeared in our studies and in the Milgram et al. study.

I ordered liquid Selepryl which has about 380 drops in the bottle and each drop has 1mg of selegiline citrate. So the question that I have is do I take my dose sublingually or mix it in with water and ingest it. I have read else where that sublingual dosage would yield a 5x greater effect.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pt=AbstractPlus

A new formulation of selegiline: improved bioavailability and selectivity for MAO-B inhibition.
Clarke A, Brewer F, Johnson ES, Mallard N, Hartig F, Taylor S, Corn TH.Scherer DDS, Swindon, United Kingdom. aclarke@cephalon.com

Seven randomised comparative studies were conducted in healthy volunteers to compare the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic profiles of selegiline hydrochloride in a new formulation designed for buccal absorption "Zydis Selegiline" (1.25-10 mg) with conventional selegiline hydrochloride tablets "conventional selegiline tablets" (10 mg). A total of 156 healthy volunteers participated in these studies. Plasma concentrations of selegiline and its primary metabolites, N-desmethylselegiline (DMS), l-amphetamine (AMT), and l-methamphetamine (MET) were measured using Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (GCMS) and gas liquid chromatography (GLC) assays. Inhibition of monoamine-oxidase type B (MAO-B) and monoamine oxidase type A (MAO-A) activity was determined by measurement of as beta-phenylethylamine (PEA) by GCMS and 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid (5-HIAA) by High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) assays. Almost a third (2.96 mg) of a 10 mg selegiline dose in Zydis Selegiline was absorbed pre-gastrically (predominantly buccally) within 1 minute. Mean [SD] area-under-the curve (AUC(0- infinity)) values following Zydis Selegiline 10 mg (5.85 [7.31] ng.h/mL) were approximately five times higher than those following conventional selegiline tablets 10 mg (1.16 [1.05] ng.h/mL). In contrast, plasma concentrations of metabolites were significantly ( p<0.001) lower following Zydis Selegiline 10 mg than following conventional selegiline tablets 10 mg. Plasma concentrations of selegiline and its metabolites increased in a dose-dependent manner over the dose-range Zydis Selegiline 1.25-5 mg. Bioavailability was determined using AUC and peak plasma concentrations (C(max)). The C(max) of selegiline was similar following administration of Zydis Selegiline 1.25 mg (1.52 ng/mL) or conventional selegiline tablets 10 mg (1.14 mg/mL). The range of values for AUC(0- infinity) and C(max) following Zydis Selegiline 1.25 mg were entirely contained within the range following conventional selegiline tablets 10 mg, with a much higher variability of plasma selegiline concentrations occurring after conventional selegiline tablets than after Zydis Selegiline. As expected, peak plasma concentrations for DMS, AMT and MET were consistently lower after Zydis Selegiline 1.25 mg (1.19, 0.34, 0.93 ng/ml, respectively) than after conventional selegiline tablets 10 mg (18.37, 3.60, 12.92 ng/ml, respectively). A significant (r=0.0001) correlation between daily PEA excretion (a measure of brain MAO-B inhibition) and the log-transformed AUC((0-t)) for selegiline was demonstrated. Mean daily PEA excretion was similar following Zydis Selegiline 1.25 mg and conventional selegiline tablets 10 mg (13.0 microg versus 17.6 microg). In contrast, there was no correlation between PEA excretion and selegiline metabolites, indicating that selegiline metabolites do not significantly inhibit MAO-B. Urinary excretion of 5-HIAA (used as a marker for MAO-A inhibition) was unrelated to plasma concentrations of selegiline or DMS following single or repeat dosing of Zydis Selegiline 1.25 mg or conventional selegiline tablets 10 mg. However, comparison of treatment groups revealed a significantly lower excretion of 5-HIAA in the conventional selegiline tablets 10 mg group than in the Zydis Selegiline 1.25 mg group after repeated administration over 13 days. In summary, by reducing the opportunity for first-pass metabolism, the absorption of selegiline from Zydis Selegiline was more efficient and less variable than from conventional selegiline tablets. Compared with conventional selegiline tablets 10 mg, Zydis Selegiline 1.25 mg yielded similar plasma concentrations of selegiline and degree of MAO-B inhibition, but markedly reduced concentrations of the principal metabolites. Thus, the lower but equally MAO-B inhibitory dose of selegiline in Zydis Selegiline 1.25 mg, which is associated with lower concentrations of potentially harmful metabolites, could offer a safer and more predictable treatment in the management of patients with Parkinson's disease.

PMID: 14628189 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Now the liquid Selepryl does not appear to be the same as the Zydis Selegine, but it does seem like it might be able to be absorbed sublingually. At anyrate, the package has no indication how the drops are to be taken. How do you guys take it?

#2 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:03 AM

I take 1 drop per day sublingually, which amounts to holding it under my tongue for about 15 minutes and then swishing the ahem "saliva build up" around my mouth and swallowing. Apparently most of it will be will be converted to various amphetamines and some less active deprenyl metabolite if absorbed through the gut. I've thought about what you mentioned the 5x or however many fold increase in absorption this way. I reason that if the stuff is added to rats drinking water and rats sip water all day long rather than as we would drink a full 8-16 ounces in one sitting that they are getting a lot of sublingual and bucal absorption so by taking sublingually we are better mimicking the studies that actually show an increase in lifespan. I have a biochemist friend that swears that deprenyl is completely ineffective if taken in oral tablets and you need some sort of transdermal method, sublingual, buccal, trandermal patch or injection to get any measurable benefit. He recommends the patch, but for those of us taking 1 mg a day cutting up a deprenyl patch into such small squares, maybe sticking a bandaid on it so it dosent fall off doesnt seem real practical.

I've been doing the sublingual thing for about a year. Previously I adding a drop to water and then drinking. Haven't noticed any problems or really any major difference either way, but again I am taking it more for the life extension and in general to keep my dopamine levels at healthy levels.

edit: These are my thoughts, and what I do, but I am only going by educated logic here as I by no means know what is correct in this case. Any evidence that what I am doing is causing a too high deprenyl concentration for someone a week shy of 30 years old and I go back to mixing with water as I did before.

Edited by edward, 31 January 2008 - 12:09 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 brotherx

• 313 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:41 PM

I've heard the same - that the hcl might be useless if taken orally.

Has anybody tried the selegiline with orange juice or grape juice?
See abstract below:

"When DEDI first developed their LDC; their liquid Selegiline, the purity level, was at 99% pure. The purity level was increased shortly thereafter to 99.9903% using a sophisticated purifying procedure developed by Dr. Barltrop. Dr. Owen had decided upon another product; citric acid to use as one of the stabilizing agents in LDC. Citric acid is another one of the few chemicals which will pass through the blood brain barrier easily.

In essence what Dr. Owen and Dr. Barltrop had developed was a brand new product, which was all natural, with 2 of its ingredients passing through the blood brain barrier easily, to accomplish their task.

Once DEDI was aware that citric acid passes easily through the blood brain barrier; DEDI did what the FDA should have done over 50 years ago.

DEDI Does What The FDA Should Have Done

Kimball contacted one of the foreign research teams DEDI was working with, at the University of Toronto. Because orange juice contains citric acid, DEDI wanted to know two things. If a person were to take any medication with 4 - 8 oz glass of orange juice, would the medication the person was taking, get into the brain? And if so, how long should a person wait after drinking a 4 0 8 oz glass of orange juice, before taking medication, or dietary supplement, so those products will not get into the brain.

The research team got back with Kimball and advised him, that most any medication or dietary supplement taken with orange juice, would in fact get into the brain, using citric acid as its carrier. They advised Kimball if a person took medication or dietary supplements 1/2 half an hour prior, or 1/2 hour after drinking orange juice, the substance in general should not get through the blood brain barrier. "

(http://www.discovery..._ldc_worked.htm accessed 24.01.08)

Cheers

Alex

I take 1 drop per day sublingually, which amounts to holding it under my tongue for about 15 minutes and then swishing the ahem "saliva build up" around my mouth and swallowing. Apparently most of it will be will be converted to various amphetamines and some less active deprenyl metabolite if absorbed through the gut. I've thought about what you mentioned the 5x or however many fold increase in absorption this way. I reason that if the stuff is added to rats drinking water and rats sip water all day long rather than as we would drink a full 8-16 ounces in one sitting that they are getting a lot of sublingual and bucal absorption so by taking sublingually we are better mimicking the studies that actually show an increase in lifespan. I have a biochemist friend that swears that deprenyl is completely ineffective if taken in oral tablets and you need some sort of transdermal method, sublingual, buccal, trandermal patch or injection to get any measurable benefit. He recommends the patch, but for those of us taking 1 mg a day cutting up a deprenyl patch into such small squares, maybe sticking a bandaid on it so it dosent fall off doesnt seem real practical.

I've been doing the sublingual thing for about a year. Previously I adding a drop to water and then drinking. Haven't noticed any problems or really any major difference either way, but again I am taking it more for the life extension and in general to keep my dopamine levels at healthy levels.

edit: These are my thoughts, and what I do, but I am only going by educated logic here as I by no means know what is correct in this case. Any evidence that what I am doing is causing a too high deprenyl concentration for someone a week shy of 30 years old and I go back to mixing with water as I did before.

#4 lucid

• Topic Starter
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:26 PM

Hmmm, Well, I guess I will continue taking it sublingually. Since one doesn't want to take too much, I wish there were a little more literature on proper dosing.

#5 bhuman111

• 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:25 AM

Aha! A noob that actually uses the search function =D!

I too, after recently ordering cyprenil (liquid deprenyl, HCL or Citrate? more on that later), have questions about the substance, the big one being dosage. If anyone can answer any of the following, it would REALLY help me out!

1. If you take Cyprenil, what dosage per day seems effective to you?

2. My next biggie is a little Technical. I'm a Finance major, so please pardon my ignorance about Biology:

Apparently, Deprenyl inhibits MAO-B... permanantly. I've read explanations on these forums that the body will eventually replace the inhibited MAO-B with uninhibited MAO-B, normally within a two week period. I want to confirm that this is the case and that taking deprenyl will not flip off some cognitive switch which I will forever be unable to flip back on. (personal experinces?)

3. Lastly, there has apparently been some drama concerning a deprenyl manufacturer named DEDI. They make a big claim other deprenyls, besides their own, are totally bunk because they're in a HCL form instead of citrate. Cyprenil falls into this category. So, is Cyprenil snake oil, or is DEDI full of it?

I really appreciate ANY responses. Thanks guys

Edited by bhuman111, 25 May 2008 - 05:28 AM.

#6 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:41 PM

I hear you loud and clear and wish I could answer your questions. I am having issues sorting through the whole Deprenyl issue myself.

I want to start taking it, but only if it is the right kind.

#7 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 06:02 PM

http://www.prolibert...er/19990706.htm

I just dont know what to think to be honest.

#8 BenP

• 5 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:02 PM

Just thought I'd give my 2 cents about this.

I've been studying various drugs to help with my illness (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) which for me mainly relates to lack of mental and physical energy. I've spent a lot of time reading about selegiline. I finally purchased selegiline from biogenesis as the Selepryl version and gave it a trial. 5 drops 2xday everday for 19 days. The first two weeks I didn't think anything was happening but I did notice subtle effects. Clearer head mainly. After two weeks I suddenly had much more energy (both physical and mental) and felt 80% better. Had the best days I've had in a couple of years in terms of energy etc.

Anyway. I told my doctor and got him to prescribe me selegiline hcl (tablets) as it is subsidised here (New Zealand- $4.00 for 180 tabs) and have been on them for almost three weeks now. So far I have had no positive results, but some negative - less energy, irritation.

I read DEDI's website where it claimed that Selepryl and Cyprenil were fake and that people who took their products didn't get help etc etc.
Well, that's rubbish to me. I will be ordering more Selepryl as soon as I can (seems to be out of stock everywhere at the moment) - perhaps I will order the Cyprenil in the meantime. So far it has been the thing that has helped my illness the most.

I can't say whether Selepryl is selegiline citrate as it manufacturer claims or HCL as Dedi claims. However I can say that it works!! (and my hcl tablets didn't) So chances are Cyprenil will too! Maybe DEDI did get screwed over. But Selepryl is an effective product.

Hope this helps.

#9 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:19 PM

If I could purchase a product guaranteed to be selegiline citrate and not selegiline hcl, I would be all over this like white on rice (or brown/yellow depending on your rice preference).

I just can't find anything non-ancedotal in these forums or on the net. If anyone had anything concrete I would love to read it .......but fear of putting crap in my body (hcl) outweighs gain for me atm.

#10 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:31 PM

I've been studying various drugs to help with my illness (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome)

You may want to consider whether Lyme disease could be the cause. It's more widespread than appreciated. Not all infections cause the bull's-eye pattern, it can be contagious person-to-person, and the spirochete destroys the body's ability to make antibodies to it after a long enough infection, so tests that just test for the presence of antibodies can give false negatives.

Stephen

#11 BenP

• 5 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:56 PM

I've been studying various drugs to help with my illness (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome)

You may want to consider whether Lyme disease could be the cause. It's more widespread than appreciated. Not all infections cause the bull's-eye pattern, it can be contagious person-to-person, and the spirochete destroys the body's ability to make antibodies to it after a long enough infection, so tests that just test for the presence of antibodies can give false negatives.

Stephen

Thanks steve, don't have Lyme disease in New Zealand though - we don't have those ticks!!

#12 BenP

• 5 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:03 PM

If I could purchase a product guaranteed to be selegiline citrate and not selegiline hcl, I would be all over this like white on rice (or brown/yellow depending on your rice preference).

I just can't find anything non-ancedotal in these forums or on the net. If anyone had anything concrete I would love to read it .......but fear of putting crap in my body (hcl) outweighs gain for me atm.

Selegiline Hcl is presribed all over the world. The only thing I've read about it not being effective or being bad for you is from these sites associated with DEDI. Still I haven't had results from it yet.

#13 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:18 PM

Selegiline Hcl is presribed all over the world. The only thing I've read about it not being effective or being bad for you is from these sites associated with DEDI. Still I haven't had results from it yet.

I think for life extension purposes, from what I gather, citrate instead of HCL is the way to go. Again, this is why I am so hesitant, I can't find anything to swing me one way or another.

#14 bhuman111

• 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:54 PM

I'm getting my Cyprenil soon. I will post my comments after giving the drug about two weeks.

#15 BenP

• 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 01:03 PM

If you don't notice anything after two weeks I would recommend hanging in for week 3. I've read a lot of people saying they didn't get anything when they tried it for two weeks but from my trial I would say if I had stopped at two weeks I would have thought it was ineffective, but by about day 16 I knew for sure that it had kicked in.

I have ordered a bottle of Cyprenil as well. Will post with experience on that when it arrives - hoping it will be as effective as the Selepryl.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#16 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:59 AM

I take Cyprenil, and I can assure you all that it is good stuff. I take 1-2 drops under the tongue after morning meal, hold it there for a minute or two, then swallow. I like it a lot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users